AT&T helped the NSA spy on the Internet on a vast scale

Meh. The network is hostile.

That is actually one of the best 5 word posts I've ever seen.

tumblr_m1axpwjB051r99f4t.gif

People, relax, after the government takes all our guns they will start doing the right thing. These damn guns I tells ya.

I'll have to check that out. I actually read an article from wired.com years ago that used Binney as one of the main contributors.

http://www.wired.com/2012/03/ff_nsadatacenter/

If I remember correctly he said that the NSA has been working on quantum computing for a long time now because they feel its the only way to break 32 bit encryption. As it is now they can't which is why they need these businesses to help them.

PBS Frontline had a great documentary called United States of Secrets that went step by step how the program gained it's power and has interviews with the high ranking people in the NSA at the time. It even has an interview with the head of the NSA at the time, it's scary how the government fucked over government employees that spoke out against it. It talks about who signed what document and when that gave them more power. It's a really thorough timeline.
If you haven't seen it, definitely check it out. It's the best in depth documentary on the subject by a long shot.

Last edited:
I'm not shocked that the government wants to set up a Big Brother surveillance state because lets face it, we are ruled by self serving dishonest people. I do get surprised though at the number of businesses willing to help them. AT&T's extreme willingness to secretly spy on all communications on behalf of the NSA disgusts me.

How much of this was willful and how much was coercion?

I know that one guy who created his own email service had two options 1. Comply or 2. go to jail. So he closed the doors on his company (I guess 3 options...)

I'll have to check that out. I actually read an article from wired.com years ago that used Binney as one of the main contributors.

http://www.wired.com/2012/03/ff_nsadatacenter/

If I remember correctly he said that the NSA has been working on quantum computing for a long time now because they feel its the only way to break 32 bit encryption. As it is now they can't which is why they need these businesses to help them.

Binny pretty much started this system, then blew the whistle when he saw where it was going. You're going to love this guy.

Back