At 5'9 roughly how much should I weigh?

Coleman said:
Now I know this is a very open ended question with a lot of variables but I was hoping to maybe gain some insight. I train in some MT and BJJ by the way and have no plans of competing ever. I just enjoy the sport and do it for self defense. I have never been in a fight outside of class though.

Right now, I am 5'9 and about 155 lbs which is too light in my opinion. I don't feel like I have the size and strength to be effective against a larger opponent. I know that it is fully possible for someone my height to completely destroy a guy who is say over 6 feet and larger. I just don't feel like I have the strength to do so.

Is my weight good or should I try to pack on 10 - 15 pounds?

gain 20lbs and compete in the same weight class. Just cut weight when competitions are in sight.

bal541 said:
"look like a strong guy?" Depends on your goals man. You do sacrifice flexibility and cardio when you get too big. A 5'9, 200'er guy looks strong, but it comes at a price. None of the best MMAers or Jiu-Jitsu guys are huge... the powerlifters are.

but yeah... i'd say 160-180 is probably a better range than 150. 200+ is kinda too big imo if you want to do MMA.

i don't understand why you singled me out when i agree with what you said.. you must have misunderstood me

bal541 said:
"look like a strong guy?" Depends on your goals man. You do sacrifice flexibility and cardio when you get too big. A 5'9, 200'er guy looks strong, but it comes at a price. None of the best MMAers or Jiu-Jitsu guys are huge... the powerlifters are.

but yeah... i'd say 160-180 is probably a better range than 150. 200+ is kinda too big imo if you want to do MMA.

You might get tired faster at a higher bodyweight due to lugging the extra weight around but that doesn't mean your cardiovascular capabilities can't be just as good.

As to flexibility, I'm going to have to disagree with you there. It's been proven time and again that the 'musclebound' thing is myth. You can find plenty of 200 pounders who can do the splits.

As to powerlifters, there are plenty of smaller/lighter powerlifters, just like MMA'ers. They've got weight classes too remember.

As too 200+ pounds being too big, isn't Fedor 6" 225 lbs? At even a generous 10 pounds per inch of height advantage, that still puts him in the same 'too big' ballpark according to your measurements.

BTW, 150 pounds at 5'9" is pretty much a twig at any bodyfat level (another poster).

That's like asking "I'm 5'9" tall -- how much should I weigh??" It's a nonsensical question really.

Since you said you feel like your to light and want to get bigger, just try to keep putting on muscle till you feel right. I know for me right now, I am 6'1" and 160lbs, which seems small to most of the people on this board, but for me it is pretty much were I want to be at. Just go to you feel comfortable.

And before I get everyone saying that I am to skinny and moron for being at that weight,well I do it for fighting. Because come fight time I can get down to 145.

OpethDrums said:
i don't understand why you singled me out when i agree with what you said.. you must have misunderstood me

lol i thought you were being sarcastic. My bad, I'm too used to seeing smartasses on sherdog. I forget that the training forums are the only good ones.

KOU In3 said:
You might get tired faster at a higher bodyweight due to lugging the extra weight around but that doesn't mean your cardiovascular capabilities can't be just as good.

As to flexibility, I'm going to have to disagree with you there. It's been proven time and again that the 'musclebound' thing is myth. You can find plenty of 200 pounders who can do the splits.

As to powerlifters, there are plenty of smaller/lighter powerlifters, just like MMA'ers. They've got weight classes too remember.

As too 200+ pounds being too big, isn't Fedor 6" 225 lbs? At even a generous 10 pounds per inch of height advantage, that still puts him in the same 'too big' ballpark according to your measurements.

BTW, 150 pounds at 5'9" is pretty much a twig at any bodyfat level (another poster).

Just look at people in MMA. Do you see many 205ers that are 5'9? Do you see any heavyweights that are 5'9 doing well? You need balance, size does affect speed and cardio.

Your probably right about flexibility though. I got a friend who got huge and his flexibility sucks but then again its probably cause he sucks.

bal541 said:
Just look at people in MMA. Do you see many 205ers that are 5'9? Do you see any heavyweights that are 5'9 doing well? You need balance, size does affect speed and cardio.

Your probably right about flexibility though. I got a friend who got huge and his flexibility sucks but then again its probably cause he sucks.

So some degree I'll cave in that there does tend to be a 'most ideal' body type for specific sport activity. And you're right that at 5'9" in MMA it does seem to be about 185 or so. The only shred I have to hold on to for the sake of arguement is that we're talking about people that have cut weight normally. E.g., I've heard Matt Hughes walks around at about 190. So for the sake of a poster wondering what weight he should be 'walking around at' for optimal MMA performance, that number would most likely be higher than what you see people competing at.

Thread starter though did mention that he has no plans of competing ever though. Given that, simply looking at the stats of top fighters doesn't quite apply as they are all competing in classed events. They very well could be coming in heavier if everything was still an unweighted, no weight class competition.

Just a couple of thoughts to help cloud the issue. :wink:

KOU In3 said:
So some degree I'll cave in that there does tend to be a 'most ideal' body type for specific sport activity. And you're right that at 5'9" in MMA it does seem to be about 185 or so. The only shred I have to hold on to for the sake of arguement is that we're talking about people that have cut weight normally. E.g., I've heard Matt Hughes walks around at about 190. So for the sake of a poster wondering what weight he should be 'walking around at' for optimal MMA performance, that number would most likely be higher than what you see people competing at.

Thread starter though did mention that he has no plans of competing ever though. Given that, simply looking at the stats of top fighters doesn't quite apply as they are all competing in classed events. They very well could be coming in heavier if everything was still an unweighted, no weight class competition.

Just a couple of thoughts to help cloud the issue. :wink:

yeah point taken. His question was too subjective... since your body depends on what you want to do with it. 140-200 are all fine. 140 if your a runner for example. Personally 160 at 5'9 sounds fine for the guy not competing in anything. 180 if you like being thick etc.

I've seen Igor compete from 185 pounds (in early Russian matches) to somewhere north of 225 lbs. It can very dramatically with Igor.

private ryan said:
im 5,8 and weigh in at 210lbs

im jealous but i want to post something sarcastic real bad.. like..

i am bulking up to 145 right now

bal541 said:

don't tell me the price is always flexibility aor cardio, because this may not always be true. one can stil be greatly flexible and agile, the cardio may lag, but unless you are training to fight in the ring why?

to the qoute above,
yes because this is a regulated fight with a time limit no outsiders and both of similar skill.
picture a streetfight, in a bar setting people are everywehre, would you rather be 150-160lbs at 5'10" or 190-200lbs, both at 10%bf. tell me you square off which is irrealistic with your bigger self and tell me who would win.

i tell you i like the other guy said in a street fight i would wipe the floor with my lighter self, in the ring i would lose due to cardio. but the ring is not my focus.

spsickboy said:
Since you said you feel like your to light and want to get bigger, just try to keep putting on muscle till you feel right. I know for me right now, I am 6'1" and 160lbs, which seems small to most of the people on this board, but for me it is pretty much were I want to be at. Just go to you feel comfortable.

And before I get everyone saying that I am to skinny and moron for being at that weight,well I do it for fighting. Because come fight time I can get down to 145.

omg 6'1" 145lbs. wow. that sounds sickly. pull many girls this way?

owell i was once 5'10.5 132lbs fighter.

my weight goes between 225lbs and 185lbs depending on what im training for

If you are 5'9"-- you should weigh no more than 169.5 after the cutting process. 170 + is domonated by taller guys. Oh, and what you really need to do is get STRONGER, not heavier. Get stronger and be in good friggin' shape, and you will feel less inclined to be bigger, plus you will see an amazing improvement in your game.

Martin Plunkett said:
If you are 5'9"-- you should weigh no more than 169.5 after the cutting process. 170 + is domonated by taller guys.

Did you read the initial post? He is looking to be competitive with the 6 foor crowd. And specificly stated that he won't be competing in weight classed competitions so 169.5 is irrelevant.

peregrine said:
omg 6'1" 145lbs. wow. that sounds sickly. pull many girls this way?

owell i was once 5'10.5 132lbs fighter.

Not as many as I would like but I get mine, girls seem to dig skinny guys. And also I forgot to mention I can lose about 10 to 13lbs in just water weight.

Back