At 5'9 roughly how much should I weigh?

Coleman said:
Now I know this is a very open ended question with a lot of variables but I was hoping to maybe gain some insight. I train in some MT and BJJ by the way and have no plans of competing ever. I just enjoy the sport and do it for self defense. I have never been in a fight outside of class though.

Right now, I am 5'9 and about 155 lbs which is too light in my opinion. I don't feel like I have the size and strength to be effective against a larger opponent. I know that it is fully possible for someone my height to completely destroy a guy who is say over 6 feet and larger. I just don't feel like I have the strength to do so.

Is my weight good or should I try to pack on 10 - 15 pounds?
5'9'' 155 lbs is the normal size for a wrestling/fighting athlete if you're BF% is low.

if your techniques teach you anything, bjj is made for smaller guys to beat bigger guys. if you have troubles here you need to work your technique over the weights unless someone is slapping you with your own girly arms or something stupid.

how exactly do you plan to pack on 10-15 pounds? gaining lean muscle would be more like a few pounds a year once you've past the initial gains you get if you go from if you dont lift at all. even if you could add 10-15 pounds of weight it's not going to make a difference to someone 6'0'' 210 whereas better technique *will*.

im not saying dont lift, but you need a better prospective. being stronger than you were will always make you better, but it wont win fights for you. everyone who competes can be aided by weight training, but to rely on it doesnt help unless you're going to 'roidhead it up.

i would say 150 is good for 5'9" why would you wanna be a fat ass?

LCDforMe said:
I'm 6 foot 215lbs at 16 years old. Big kid...
Labeling yourself as a big kid is teh ghey. Let others compliment you, don't dig for the, its unbecoming and dorky.

rEmY said:
it depends on your frame as well.

short answer, if you feel weak, lift some weights.

short answer ... best answer IMO!!!

180 is fine, but i like eating, so i weigh more, but i want to gain slow, i have pretty low bf, and i dont want to pack on very much at all.

LCDforMe said:
I'm 6 foot 215lbs at 16 years old. Big kid...

... how's this for big, my cousin is 14 and he's 6'8" tall and weighs 345lbs, and his brother is 13 and is 6'3" tall and weighs 265lbs, now those are some big kids

dogmai said:
... how's this for big, my cousin is 14 and he's 6'8" tall and weighs 345lbs, and his brother is 13 and is 6'3" tall and weighs 265lbs, now those are some big kids

That's fucking big alright. One of my cousins on my redneck side of the family is 19 and he's 6'5" 300 lbs. which is fucking huge compared to the little bastards on my asian side of the family!

I said 200 because, shit, if you're not going to compete in MT or BJJ, you might as well get strong as fuck cause it's not going to hinder you in a self-defense situation.

OpethDrums said:
i would say 150 is good for 5'9" why would you wanna be a fat ass?

LOL! 150 lbs. at 5'9" is bordering on skinny dude.

shoot I'm 5'10
and I love it.
I feel fast and light. I can do pull ups easily.
hand stands, its grreeat!!!

VampireMonk said:
shoot I'm 5'10
and I love it.
I feel fast and light. I can do pull ups easily.
hand stands, its grreeat!!!

Yes but imagine fighting the same you at say 200 pounds ripped. Do you think the 155 pound you would win?

When I left for college (back in the stone age), I was 140 pounds and ~5% bodyfat. I've been everything from a 140 pound lightweight cardio machine to a 212 pound zero cardio lifter since. I have to say the 195+ pound plus me would mop the floor with my lighter self even with the time off training. The strength advantage is just too much given near equal skill.

As to what you should weigh though. It's more or less a moot point. The real question is really, more... or less. You aren't going to hit 170 until you make 160 first. So when you get to 160, ask yourself again... "more... or less". Then keep going.

When I was 5'10" and 170 at 4% bodyfat I thought 200 pounds on me would be giant. Then when I hit 200 (still lean but definately NOT 4%) I decided that it really wasn't that big at all and to shoot for 225. If you aren't going to compete in a weighted tournament, then size is only going to be a good thing, IMHO.

im 168cm which i'm assuming is aroung the same height as 5'9 and i'm 65kg which i have no idea how much that is in pounds (around 143lbs i guess?). i got the abs going so im also assuming that my body fat % is around 10-15%. i'm aiming to bulk up and stay under 70kg. but i dont want any of that extra mass to be fat. would it be safe to say my answer to achieving this is diet and weights/cardio?

Wild Dan Hibiki said:
im 168cm which i'm assuming is aroung the same height as 5'9 and i'm 65kg which i have no idea how much that is in pounds (around 143lbs i guess?). i got the abs going so im also assuming that my body fat % is around 10-15%. i'm aiming to bulk up and stay under 70kg. but i dont want any of that extra mass to be fat. would it be safe to say my answer to achieving this is diet and weights/cardio?

178cm = 5'10" so you would be less than 5'9".

183cm = 6 ft

OpethDrums said:
yeah with 7-10% bf 150 pounds at 5'9" is gonna look like a very strong guy

"look like a strong guy?" Depends on your goals man. You do sacrifice flexibility and cardio when you get too big. A 5'9, 200'er guy looks strong, but it comes at a price. None of the best MMAers or Jiu-Jitsu guys are huge... the powerlifters are.

but yeah... i'd say 160-180 is probably a better range than 150. 200+ is kinda too big imo if you want to do MMA.

Cool avatar bro^.

Being relatively short (below 5'10) and big can be an advantage in atheletics cause the low center of gravity + weight if used correctly can be a devasting combination ie...

-Kevin Randleman (his problems between his ears not with his ability)
-in football remember Ironhead Heyward, a running back at 5'8 300lbs, trying to stop him was like trying to tackle a huge bowling ball
-Igor V. has looked very lackluster coming down to 205 but as a heavywieght was very impressive
-I don't think there is a heavyweight out there who can beat James Toney (i know the heavies suk these days but still)

By the way i resolve to ignore all negtivity/bs and get back to using this board for + reasons...so an open apology to anyone i got into flame wars with and lets get back on point...

Back