ASU cuts Men's Wrestling

fucking butch sports for the win!

because everybody totally wants to see fucking softball and women's basketball.

durpy durr good fundamentals....right...

Then tell me... why weren't any womans sports eliminated?

"these three sports were selected with the following criteria: financial impact, potential competitive success, conference/regional support and gender equity. Our revenue trajectory has been positive, however, our ongoing financial challenges have been well documented by the media. The decision to discontinue sport programs is a last resort, yet necessary."

To take their "word for it is" nieve, They didn't cut women's sports cus they would get bad pub from it. Bottom line is that it really doesn't matter. Look at the tickets they sell, the tv deals they have, the fucken jerseys, cups, foam fingers, shorts, ect they sell. Are you telling me that they can't give out scholarships with that money? You fucken kidding me? Don't belive everything they say. They have multi million dollar stadiums and pay their football basketball coaches hundreds of thousands of dollars if not millions... Yet they can't give maintain teams? They can't give out full/partial scholarships?

Dennis Erickson will receive a guaranteed $5.6 million as Arizona State football coach under the terms of a five-year contract that is expected to be approved by the Arizona Board of Regents next week.

The deal runs through the 2011 season and is heavy on bonus incentives based on the Sun Devils’ win total, grade point average and graduation rate.

Erickson, 59, will earn $450,000 in base pay each season and $50,000 of additional compensation in 2007. The latter figure gets a huge bump afterward, rising to $825,000 annually for the final four years of the deal.

The regents meet on March 8-9 at the University of Arizona.

In 2007, Erickson will collect his final paychecks from the San Francisco 49ers, who fired him after the 2004 season with three years and $7.5 million remaining on his contract.

The incentive clauses are similar to those given to former ASU coach Dirk Koetter when he received an extension in March 2006. That pact, which was to run through the 2009 season, paid Koetter a guaranteed $950,000 a year.

Erickson can earn up to $1.15 million per season in on-field bonuses.

He receives a $50,000 bonus if ASU wins eight regular season games, a $100,000 bonus for a ninth win, $200,000 for a 10th, $300,000 for an 11th and $400,000 for a 12th.

He would also receive one postseason bonus: $25,000 for a bowl game, $50,000 for a Bowl Championship Series berth or $100,000 for a BCS national championship game appearance.

An academic-performance bonus (grade point average or graduation rate, whichever is higher) could provide Erickson up to 10 percent of his salary.

Should ASU dismiss Erickson before the contract expires, it will owe him 50 percent of any remaining salary, unless the school has such cause as a Pac-10 or NCAA rules violation.

The school owed Koetter 100 percent of his remaining salary, which worked out to a $2.47 million buyout, when it fired him in November.

If Erickson leaves ASU for another coaching job, he would owe the school a $750,000 buyout. He also will receive tickets to ASU sporting events, use of two automobiles or a stipend and playing privileges at Karsten Golf Course.

Details of Erickson's ASU contract released | Arizona State University | eastvalleytribune.com

don't tell me that you believe their bullshit.

Man, thats some cold shit.
Especially after looking after those numbers they're throwing around.
$400,000 BONUS?
You could squeeze at least 5 or 6 scholarships for anything outta that

holy shit. i puked a little, maybe because of this food poisoning but you never know

imagine how many "in state" STUDENT ATHELETES they can help out with tution (partial and full) if they really wanted to with ONE BONUS the coach gets.

But the argument makes no sense. The fact is the coach got the bonus, period. The other facts are the non revenue sports have tight general budgets to draw from, and with title 9 the budget gets sucked dry fast. Yes Football makes money, but it also spends a ton of money too, as that coach's contract demonstrated.

Title 9 is used to kill "non revenue" sports period, at least mens non revenue sports. The thing is, I thought sports in College were there to build school pride, unity, teach something about competiton etc. not to perform as cash cows. But you know what they say about the love of money.

To take their "word for it is" nieve, They didn't cut women's sports cus they would get bad pub from it. Bottom line is that it really doesn't matter. Look at the tickets they sell, the tv deals they have, the fucken jerseys, cups, foam fingers, shorts, ect they sell. Are you telling me that they can't give out scholarships with that money? You fucken kidding me? Don't belive everything they say. They have multi million dollar stadiums and pay their football basketball coaches hundreds of thousands of dollars if not millions... Yet they can't give maintain teams? They can't give out full/partial scholarships?

Details of Erickson's ASU contract released | Arizona State University | eastvalleytribune.com

don't tell me that you believe their bullshit.

I'm not completely blaming title IX for the cut, but it does factor into the equation. They want to cut programs for the money, and the reason they don't cut women's sports is because of the bad press as you say. So what causes this bad press? well title IX for one would make them cutting women's programs illegal and that would bring them bad press, so don't say it has nothing at all to do with title IX. Now do I believe they actually are in such a bad place financially that they need to cut these programs in the first place? No, I think its their way of trying to be a business.

Another thing I don't know about arizona, is where the money from tuition goes to. I know states like Wisconsin make it so that all the tuition paid to a state college goes to a central fund and is distributed back to the schools based on enrollment, but other states have it that the money goes directly to the college itself. This makes a huge difference in policy and financial aid disbursement.

i can't believe that you guys buy that "title IX" bullshit at a big time basketball/football program like asu. They make MILLIONS off their basketball/football programs but can't give out scholarships??? come on

Kurt Angle actually talked about this very thing in his autobiography. One of the really bad unintended consequences of Title IX is not that it created MORE opportunities for women, it just eliminated opportunities for men. Most AD's are going to just eliminate men's programs until they are equal with the number of women's programs because in many cases they simply do not have enough females interested in participating in athletics compared to that of men. As a result, less popular/less revenue generating programs like wrestling are the first to go.

Tbone

My old roomate gets interviewed here. He comes across real well, always was a good salesman.
Yahoo!

that seems like a great idea, but i would be worried about the majority that can't make a career of their abilities and wind up being 27 years old without an education. sooooo many college wrestlers quit when they get sick of the ridiculous practice and weight cutting because in the end they are doing it for nothing other than 'the experience' and a crappy Grade Point Average

eh?

if you are getting not succeding in your attempt at a pro career in sports you need to get a job and/or an education simple as that

If you don't have the visable talent to become a pro at 20-ish you won't

eh?

if you are getting not succeding in your attempt at a pro career in sports you need to get a job and/or an education simple as that

If you don't have the visable talent to become a pro at 20-ish you won't

A lot of great college football players don't amount to much in the NFL. Then look at Tom Brady. He wasn't a star at the college level.

I like the college sports system here in the US. You can't train all the time. Your body needs some rest. You might as well learn something and get a degree on your down time.

A lot of great college football players don't amount to much in the NFL. Then look at Tom Brady. He wasn't a star at the college level.

I like the college sports system here in the US. You can't train all the time. Your body needs some rest. You might as well learn something and get a degree on your down time.

However, its hard to do your studies justice while competing at a high level in sports. Most people (yes, there are exceptions) would be better off playing full time sports for a few years and then full time student afterwards. That's the way it works in junior A hockey (which has an age limit of 20). Those who realize they have no reasonable way to make the NHL go to university and become full time students, getting the best of both worlds.

I wrestled in college while studying engineering, it was hell. By third year I basically had to choose between my degree and wrestling ... I went for my degree. I would definitely have preferred something like a junior program where I could have wrestled full out for a few years, and then gone to university as a full time student. We had a couple of guys who were really bright and were able to do both wrestling and school well, but my average was pretty low while I wrestled, and went up to a decent level when I quit ... most of us aren't geniuses :icon_cry2

Instead of bitching here, we need to be organizing write-ins.

Back