ASU cuts Men's Wrestling

Title IX strikes again.

Notice how it's only the men's teams that suffer. That's BS.

wow... my friend wrestled there up until last year... that's unbelievable and absolutely retarded...

damn shame, more and more great wrestling programs are getting cut, such bullshit. ASU had a great program.

i can't believe that you guys buy that "title IX" bullshit at a big time basketball/football program like asu. They make MILLIONS off their basketball/football programs but can't give out scholarships??? come on

Yep, ASU makes plenty from football games to support every sport. They are just cutting those because not many people care about them, so they can save some money. College athletics is a business these days.

The whole idea of linking elite sport programs to universities is a bad one. Its impossible to be a great student and a great athlete at the same time (or almost impossible ... Wilt Chamberlain always claimed he was an A student), and most athletes are just there to do sport anyway.

It'd make more sense to have amateur leagues independent of universities, so anyone with the interest and talent could play in them without pretending to be interested in school (and taking basket weaving or surfing majors). It'd sort of be like minor league baseball, or junior A hockey in Canada.

The university athletic facilities could be for students to keep in shape, rather than elite athletic programs. It'd be better for athletes (who could concentrate on their sports and wouldn't have things like title-IX to worry about), students (who would have access to all the campus sports equipment), and tax payers.

The whole idea of linking elite sport programs to universities is a bad one. Its impossible to be a great student and a great athlete at the same time (or almost impossible ... Wilt Chamberlain always claimed he was an A student), and most athletes are just there to do sport anyway.

It'd make more sense to have amateur leagues independent of universities, so anyone with the interest and talent could play in them without pretending to be interested in school (and taking basket weaving or surfing majors). It'd sort of be like minor league baseball, or junior A hockey in Canada.

The university athletic facilities could be for students to keep in shape, rather than elite athletic programs. It'd be better for athletes (who could concentrate on their sports and wouldn't have things like title-IX to worry about), students (who would have access to all the campus sports equipment), and tax payers.

that seems like a great idea, but i would be worried about the majority that can't make a career of their abilities and wind up being 27 years old without an education. sooooo many college wrestlers quit when they get sick of the ridiculous practice and weight cutting because in the end they are doing it for nothing other than 'the experience' and a crappy Grade Point Average

Wow, that's amazing. I thought they had a good wrestling program. I know a guy that wrestled there years ago and was an all American in 1983 (Gary Bohay). He went on to wrestle for Canada in the 1988 Olympics. That is a shame.

There has GOT to be a way to tie the rise in MMA on tv to wrestling in order to make it a more lucrative sport.

This is about $$'s and if wrestling made more $$$'s for the schools they would keep it.

Its a damn shame that a program as good as that one is getting axed!

This is fucking bullshit. My old roommate wrestles for ASU, they have a lot of good guys up there. Fuck title 9 and all the bullshit womans funding feminist shit. Something needs to be done, wrestling is already one of the most cut sports there is meaning less room for scholarships and spots for a wrestler.

well there's the problem. a woman for an AD? what the fuck do girls know about sports?

a Woman AD? Mens sports will continue to get fucked until they can get a competent AD there.

Fuck Title IX.

There has GOT to be a way to tie the rise in MMA on tv to wrestling in order to make it a more lucrative sport.

This is about $$'s and if wrestling made more $$$'s for the schools they would keep it.

Its a damn shame that a program as good as that one is getting axed!

Some states like PA wrestling packs thousands in. However most places (a la mass) the teams are smaller and so are the audiences. Most people think wrestling/grappling is boring. I can tell you that their are kids joining because they are interested in competing in MMA, not watching however....

i can't believe that you guys buy that "title IX" bullshit at a big time basketball/football program like asu. They make MILLIONS off their basketball/football programs but can't give out scholarships??? come on

One of the few sensible posts in the thread.

One of the few sensible posts in the thread.

Then tell me... why weren't any womans sports eliminated?

"these three sports were selected with the following criteria: financial impact, potential competitive success, conference/regional support and gender equity. Our revenue trajectory has been positive, however, our ongoing financial challenges have been well documented by the media. The decision to discontinue sport programs is a last resort, yet necessary."

Back