Assault bike ? Good stuff or pricey gimmick?

KBE6EKCTAH_CCP

The thin end of the wedge
@Steel
Reaction score
Sorry I couldn't find a thread on these. I see them more and more and really feel like they could be a great warm up. Like do 20 ' of this thing with a few sprints at the end and you are good to jump into intense heavy bag work out.

Seems like a pretty good addition for a home gym but fuck me they are 1000€+.

So what do you experts think?

Not a fan imo. If you have a home gym I’d rather have a regular cycle bike like a pelaton or something.

Warming up is the easiest part of a workout. Some people like interval training with them though

Not a fan imo. If you have a home gym I’d rather have a regular cycle bike like a pelaton or something.

Warming up is the easiest part of a workout

Good point. Yet I could imagine that the assault bike warms you up better than a simple bike and can be used as a kick ass high intensity thing.

Good point. Yet I could imagine that the assault bike warms you up better than a simple bike and can be used as a kick ass high intensity thing.
Yeah you can do intervals or sprints and it’s an easy way to warm up. I don’t see it as an optimal tool for fitness but it can be used if that’s your thing

I have one, an Airdyne, I think that's the same thing? I bought it second hand for a decent price and it was great for cardio in lockdown when my kids had to be home schooled. I like it. Probably wouldn't pay full price for a new one, but get a good price for a second hand one and it's better than a regular stationary bike in my opinion.

I very much enjoy them for conditioning. In a perfect world though I’d want a set of all three C2 ERGs.

I have one, an Airdyne, I think that's the same thing? I bought it second hand for a decent price and it was great for cardio in lockdown when my kids had to be home schooled. I like it. Probably wouldn't pay full price for a new one, but get a good price for a second hand one and it's better than a regular stationary bike in my opinion.
This. Get an old Airdyne. It won't have any fancy features, but it'll be well-built and shouldn't cost you very much.

Warming up is the easiest part of a workout. Some people like interval training with them though
Peloton is overpriced and a gimmick. Get a regular bicycle + a stationary trainer and then you can ride outside or inside

Peloton is overpriced and a gimmick. Get a regular bicycle + a stationary trainer and then you can ride outside or inside

TLDR ; warming up inside is super practical.

Yeah that's sort of a caveat I see in purchasing an assault bike: "don't be a pussy and go ride a bike outside in the fresh air". I am totally sensitive to this line of thinking.
On the other hand, say you want to implement the routine of doing 5 rounds heavy bag every morning (just as an example). You need a quick warmup.
Of course you can hop on your real bike but when it is cold / rainy / dark outside you must put on outside clothes, break a sweat on your bike , come back inside, change, do additional upper body warm-up for your shoulders and then do your 5 rounds.
WIth an assault bike you can simply drag your ass in your pyjama on your assault bike and start super slow. Then do your heavy bag in your pyjama if you have to, jump in the shower and start your day.

TLDR ; warming up inside is super practical.

Yeah that's sort of a caveat I see in purchasing an assault bike: "don't be a pussy and go ride a bike outside in the fresh air". I am totally sensitive to this line of thinking.
On the other hand, say you want to implement the routine of doing 5 rounds heavy bag every morning (just as an example). You need a quick warmup.
Of course you can hop on your real bike but when it is cold / rainy / dark outside you must put on outside clothes, break a sweat on your bike , come back inside, change, do additional upper body warm-up for your shoulders and then do your 5 rounds.
WIth an assault bike you can simply drag your ass in your pyjama on your assault bike and start super slow. Then do your heavy bag in your pyjama if you have to, jump in the shower and start your day.
The only difference is that the assault bike incorporates more upper body than a regular bicycle on a stationary trainer. With a trainer + bike, you have the versatility to train indoors or outdoors. Some areas suck for cycling outside though and maybe you're not into it.

I would definitely recommend a bike+trainer over the peloton all day. The peloton is just an overpriced subscription service. At least with an assault bike, it does something different than a regular bicycle on a trainer, peloton, or spin bike in that it incorporates your upper body.

344265_14047_L2.jpg

The only difference is that the assault bike incorporates more upper body than a regular bicycle on a stationary trainer. With a trainer + bike, you have the versatility to train indoors or outdoors. Some areas suck for cycling outside though and maybe you're not into it.

I would definitely recommend a bike+trainer over the peloton all day. The peloton is just an overpriced subscription service. At least with an assault bike, it does something different than a regular bicycle on a trainer, peloton, or spin bike in that it incorporates your upper body.

View attachment 814675

I do have have a shitty bike for outside and I am in a very good bike area, in fact. Thing is, all my workouts already start with running outside for 5K and as it is getting very cold here, I honestly would have to force myself to find the motivation to do MORE warmup in the cold / rain more than what I am already doing.

In the end I am just looking for an easy way to warm up quickly to do my 5 rounds / free weights routine. I thought of skipping rope on my patio but I am not going to lie: the impact on the ankles in the freezing cold morning is not something that I see myself sustainably doing.

Not super keen on conventional stationary bike either. It's like biking outside but without the air and staring at a wall.

I picked up an Echo bike at the start of COVID shutdown. I've used it mostly for warming up before lifting and a weekly high intensity session, as I've been getting the majority of my conditioning work just by running/walking/riding a bike outside. But now as the weather is getting colder and crappier here I imagine I'll be using it a lot more.

I picked up an Echo bike at the start of COVID shutdown. I've used it mostly for warming up before lifting and a weekly high intensity session, as I've been getting the majority of my conditioning work just by running/walking/riding a bike outside. But now as the weather is getting colder and crappier here I imagine I'll be using it a lot more.
That's what I want one for but it's a lot so spend for an item that gets under an hour of use per week.

View attachment 814675

I find the rear wheel trainer/Zwift craze to be a zany cult. Can certainly make you strong but I cannot understand the fascination with crap. I'd rather ride outside in the winter as long as it's dry and not super windy. If I'm riding inside i'll ride rollers.

If I could afford one I’d get it. Right now I use a $150 stationary bike I bought on Amazon years ago. It gets the job done.

I find the rear wheel trainer/Zwift craze to be a zany cult. Can certainly make you strong but I cannot understand the fascination with crap. I'd rather ride outside in the winter as long as it's dry and not super windy. If I'm riding inside i'll ride rollers.
I used to live in Colorado and some days it was not practical or safe to ride outside.

I had both kreitler rollers and a few different trainers. Fluid was the way to go. I burned out a few magnetic trainers. Actually melted them.

The advantage of a trainer is that you can lift the front wheel to mimic a climbing position which uses different muscles than when you ride on the flats.

I would put in some long rides indoors. I once did 5 hours on the trainer. I watched videos to pass the time. Sometimes when I was riding the rollers I would come off them at high speed while distracted. It wasn't a matter of skill as I could ride them no handed. They just require non-stop concentration. I never crashed, but it was an interesting experience to come off unexpectedly.

I also like the trainer for one legged pedaling exercises to improve pedal stroke.

Finally, I had a handlebar mount that I would read books and magazines from during trainer work outs. This wasn't practical on the rollers.

I have a rogue echo and it is dope as hell. That shit destroys you if you put out any kind of effort. Great for cruisingor doing HIIT

I have airdyne in garage. I don't use it in the winter because it is too cold... I paid 50 bucks for it so I don't care

I do 30 second on, 30 off sprints for 10 rounds on this a few times a week. I try not to let the RPMs dip below 75. It's a real fucking ball buster.

Back