Askren should have never asked Dana, “Is this the best you’ve got?”

Rebel_LioN

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score

Maybe if he would’ve taken it slow and worked himself into contention instead of asking for the best Dana’s got, he wouldn’t be retired today.

But I get it, he wanted to fight the best to prove himself so he had to talk trash to market himself to the top of the queue. Unfortunately he got matched with an assassin in Jorge and BJJ grandmaster in Maia all because Dana wrote him some checks he could not cash.

Hope his surgery goes well and he contemplates coming back because he’s not that old. His TDs looked very solid against Maia and he still has a pretty good record at 19-2 with wins over guys like Douglas Lima who is destroying Bellator right now.

Askren is the man he literally predicted he’d get his ass kicked 3 times

So basically he didn't get matched with the best and lost anyway?

I disagree.

He got in, make noise, made money, everyone was happy. That was the goal.

The goal was never to take it slowly and earn a title shot after 3 years of moving up.

Everyone sounds so angry today, but the entire thing was entertaining. Even those who didn't want to get sucked in, got sucked in.

"I lost because he wasn't good enough." His quote should have ended all the drama.

Askren is the man he literally predicted he’d get his ass kicked 3 times

Reminds me of the time Rhonda said the only way she could lose is by head kick lol

I disagree.

He got in, make noise, made money, everyone was happy. That was the goal.

The goal was never to take it slowly and earn a title shot after 3 years of moving up.

Everyone sounds so angry today, but the entire thing was entertaining. Even those who didn't want to get sucked in, got sucked in.

"I lost because he wasn't good enough." His quote should have ended all the drama.

The goal wasn’t to prematurely retire early im pretty sure of that. He had plenty of fight left in him. He just ran into the wrong knee and got famous for being the fastest victim to get KO’d.

The goal wasn’t to prematurely retire early im pretty sure of that. He had plenty of fight left in him. He just ran into the wrong knee and got famous for being the fastest victim to get KO’d.
Its not really a premature retirement. The guys wrestled for a long time and has been doing mma for a while after that.

Dana will forever use Askren as an example on how low level other organisations are. Just wait him saying "Did you see what happened to Askren when he came to the big league?". Whenever somebody mentions some other fighter doing well in some other organisation.

Last edited:

You do realize that he was already officially retired for a whole year before his tenure in the UFC...

The only reason he returned to the sport because he had the opportunity to fight in the UFC...

He probably knew himself that he didn’t have it anymore, but came back because that was something he always wanted.

He was fucked either way at that point, no way he was beating any of the top guys, hell if he didn't retire he would have lost to most guys in the top 25.

That Robbie fight will go down as one of the most controversial "victories" ever.

Dana didn't match him with Masvidal and Maia. Askren insisted about those 2.
Dana matched him just with Lawler.
I think he should've let Dana match him in the next fights too.

So basically he didn't get matched with the best and lost anyway?
Not even close to the best in the UFC. Maia is 42, Robbie is on the downside of his career and Jorge is having a nice run here but he's still Jorge Masvidal. He is a lifelong lightweight who is very good but hasn't been able to put it together. Let's see Jorge against Colby or Usman to see what he really is. I saw the Maia fight and that's fresh in my mind. If not Colby or Usman give him Leon. One of those 3 guys would answer a lot of questions for me.

I guess you didn't watch his interview? He said even if he had won the title he would have retired.

bens greatest misfortune was the flying knee.

I still think he whoops Jorge without that happening.

I think he could beat maia with the right gameplan.

people like to talk and hate. ben got in to the big leagues made some cash

got under a bunch of peoples skin and got out. no need to hate

Maybe if he would’ve taken it slow and worked himself into contention instead of asking for the best Dana’s got, he wouldn’t be retired today.

But I get it, he wanted to fight the best to prove himself so he had to talk trash to market himself to the top of the queue. Unfortunately he got matched with an assassin in Jorge and BJJ grandmaster in Maia all because Dana wrote him some checks he could not cash.

Hope his surgery goes well and he contemplates coming back because he’s not that old. His TDs looked very solid against Maia and he still has a pretty good record at 19-2 with wins over guys like Douglas Lima who is destroying Bellator right now.

I hope he was concussed when he said that about Robbie. Very disrespectful especially since it was a B.S. stoppage. The MMA God's settled it through Jorge.

Not even close to the best in the UFC. Maia is 42, Robbie is on the downside of his career and Jorge is having a nice run here but he's still Jorge Masvidal. He is a lifelong lightweight who is very good but hasn't been able to put it together. Let's see Jorge against Colby or Usman to see what he really is. I saw the Maia fight and that's fresh in my mind. If not Colby or Usman give him Leon. One of those 3 guys would answer a lot of questions for me.
you are right on. Jorge is terrified of leon Colby and usman, Woodley.

he hopes to hell he can fight nick next, he just keeping his 15 minutes alive and well at this point

Dana will forever use Askren as an example on how low level other organisations are. Just wait him saying "Did you see what happened to Askren when he came to the big league". When ever somebody mentions some other fighter doing well in some other organisation.
I'm sure he'll do that, but he won't be right.

people like to talk and hate. ben got in to the big leagues made some cash

got under a bunch of peoples skin and got out. no need to hate

This much I can agree with.

bens greatest misfortune was the flying knee.

I still think he whoops Jorge without that happening.

I think he could beat maia with the right gameplan.

But I don't understand this narrative. It's not really saying anything. "He totally would have won if his opponent hadn't game-planned him perfectly and subjected him to the fastest KO in UFC history!" People act like he slipped and fell into Jorge's knee.

And anyone can beat anyone "with the right gameplan". He was the inferior fighter on each respective night. No need to hate on him as he's accomplished plenty, but also no need to engage in revisionism or what-ifs that downplay the victories of his opponents.

Last edited:
It would have been great to see Askren go on a tear in the UFC. Im a huge fan of the possible over and above the probable so I was really cheering him on.

Back