Askren/Lawler - Is it even possible to be flash K.O'ed by a choke?

Oddmonster

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
I do understand why the fight was stopped, it did look like Lawler went limp for a second.
I do understand that Lawler also gave a thumbs up and looked like he was o.k.
Just...let.It.Go.

I have watched MMA for quite a few years now, and I have never seen a "flash" K.O from a choke, and I have been wondering if a flash K.O is even possible from a choke. If Lawler went unconscious it would have been for less then a second. Has any of you any experience with that? Or seen any fights where something like that happened?

Thumbs up or a subconscious hand gesture?

I never had a first-hand experience but some people says that sometimes you'll get right back up after being choked/ put in to a hold. Eddie told a story about this in Joe's podcast.

Thumbs up or a subconscious hand gesture?
Who knows? I do believe that Askren would have gotten the choke eventually - he had lots of time to work, and from a great position.
But Lawler did look completely O.K when Askren let go, there was nothing that showed he had had any kind of problem or had been out.

Personally I believe Lawler was O.K and gave thumbs up, but he was living on borrowed time.

I never had a first-hand experience but some people says that sometimes you'll get right back up after being choked/ put in to a hold. Eddie told a story about this in Joe's podcast.
You remember what episode?

Lol wtf why is everyone so dumb? No shit you can get right back up if they aren't applying the hold.

I do understand why the fight was stopped, it did look like Lawler went limp for a second.
Just...let.It.Go.

I have watched MMA for quite a few years now, and I have never seen a "flash" K.O from a choke, and I have been wondering if a flash K.O is even possible from a choke. If Lawler went unconscious it would have been for less then a second. Has any of you any experience with that? Or seen any fights where something like that happened?

It's possible
FormalLankyApe.gif

Hughes went out from the triangle, went limp, fell and dropped Newton to the ground (knocking Newton out).
As soon as Newton's squeeze loosened Hughes woke up.

The choke wasn’t sunk in. No reason to pass out, flash or else.

Lol wtf why is everyone so dumb? No shit you can get right back up if they aren't applying the hold.
The minority is rarely correct in anything...and most people believe Robbie was out when his arm dropped.

Every BJJ channel is saying yes that hold is a choke, and that yes flash blood choke KO's do happen, and that it has happened to them.

It's possible
FormalLankyApe.gif

Hughes went out from the triangle, went limp, fell and dropped Newton to the ground (knocking Newton out).
As soon as Newton's squeeze loosened Hughes woke up.

Hughes was disoriented after that. Lawler was not he was 100% alert

The minority is rarely correct in anything...and most people believe Robbie was out when his arm dropped.

Every BJJ channel is saying yes that hold is a choke, and that yes flash blood choke KO's do happen, and that it has happened to them.
I have watched quite a few BJJ people talk about this, all of them said Askren would win because he had a great position and they doubted Lawler could get away, but I have heard none of them talk about flash K.O's. Could you direct me to those videos?

Just...let.It.Go.

Technically speaking there is no such thing as being “flash KO’d” from a choke because a KO is due to concussively induced brain trauma, while going unconscious from a choke is due to restricting the supply of oxygenated blood to the brain.

They are completely different mechanisms.

So, no, it’s not possible to be “flash KO’d” from a choke.

But also you’re a miserable retard.

robbie never went out, it was just a bad call, shit happens

he might of made it to round 2

Back