Askren: "Colby Covington is is a poor mans version of me"

He gave Askren trouble EIGHT YEARS AGO
when Askren was 9-0 and could even establish top position and was stuck scrambling against every opponent for 15-25 minutes

And GSP was even more green when he fought and finished Hieron.

Askren talks too much for a guy who only fights cans and hasn't had a decent win in 6 or 7 years. He is a great wrestler (one of the most accomplished in MMA history probably) but it's easy to sit back watching the top fighters in the UFC and talk about how he'd dominate everybody when he isn't gonna go in there and try to do it.

I really don't like Colby but I think he would beat Askren standing and in the clinch.

Askren has been fighting warm bodies for far too long. One or two fringe top 10 guys 6-7 years ago doesn't count for shit. His career has been a total fucking waste.

I cant believe how much a jay heiron vs GSP fight from 2004 is being discussed here, it has zero relevancy to the topic

Askren would teach him what wrestling is.

It's not a wrestling match.

Colby would be able to easily nullify any grappling attempt that Askren would try
to impose on, then Colby would proceed to outstrike him on the feet. Ben has next to zero standup, while Colby been improving his hands.

Askren is good and imo fun to watch crush cans, but he isn't going to manhandle a beast like Colby. It just wouldn't happen.

Hieron was even more green than GSP at that time though lol

Finally somebody said it.

Askren talks too much for a guy who only fights cans and hasn't had a decent win in 6 or 7 years. He is a great wrestler (one of the most accomplished in MMA history probably) but it's easy to sit back watching the top fighters in the UFC and talk about how he'd dominate everybody when he isn't gonna go in there and try to do it.

A lot of people bring him up on twitter and he has fun giving his opinion about himself in response to their (often ill-informed) opinions about him. I don't know why people take it so seriously and have to say that he's a can-crusher in response. Askren's retired and he's focused on his wrestling academies, so it's really a benign argument to begin with.

It's not a wrestling match.

Colby would be able to easily nullify any grappling attempt that Askren would try
to impose on, then Colby would proceed to outstrike him on the feet. Ben has next to zero standup, while Colby been improving his hands.

Askren is good and imo fun to watch crush cans, but he isn't going to manhandle a beast like Colby. It just wouldn't happen.

Colby got taken down by RDA with ease. Askren would pin him to the ground for 25 minutes if he wanted.

I really don't like Colby but I think he would beat Askren standing and in the clinch.

Askren has been fighting warm bodies for far too long. One or two fringe top 10 guys 6-7 years ago doesn't count for shit. His career has been a total fucking waste.
As opposed to fighting cold bodies
clearly

Hieron was even more green than GSP at that time though lol

GSP had one more MMA fight but was younger and had no formal wrestling background. Hieron wrestled in college and on paper should've wrestled his way to a win. However, GSP was a complete MMA fighter even at that age. 9 fights into his MMA career, and Askren was still pretty much a pure wrestler. People bash Brock Lesnar (who was also a one-dimensional wrestler), but he fought Mir twice, Herring, Couture, Carwin and Cain before his eighth fight. So I'm not buying this "Ben was still learning basic MMA during the Hieron fight." If that's true, it's Askren's fault.

Colby got taken down by RDA with ease. Askren would pin him to the ground for 25 minutes if he wanted.

Oh....you mean when Colby let him take him down after going 100% for several minutes straight? And then Colby stood up immediately?

Yea that was Colby just taking a break from ragdolling Rda for four rounds.

I cant believe how much a jay heiron vs GSP fight from 2004 is being discussed here, it has zero relevancy to the topic
This is how abstracted/obscure the discussion gets when people attempt to justify Ben Askren as an MMA fighter of any quality. It happens in every Askren thread. Loads of random low-level matchups from a decade ago thrown into drawn-out MMAth equations.

GSP had 6 total fights before Jay Hieron...

Right so he was more experienced than Hieron, who had four.

Compare that to Askren having 7 fights, and Hieron an established veteran with experience against the best in the world at 22-5.

This is common sense stuff here.

For the love of god Ben askren I believe you sort of but prove it

It was only Pierre’s 2nd UFC fight, Karo Parisyan was his only notable fight to date at that time.

The other 4 fights before that were in the Canadian minor leagues.

Gsp was arguably greener and younger than Herion when they fought and he murdered him.

A tired worn down do nothing Herion Gave the fresher Askren more trouble than the Prime Herion did to a green GSP.

That’s what’s really the context

This is disingenuous.

Which seems more fair:

4-0 Hieron -vs- 6-0 Georges

7-0 Askren -vs- 22-5 Hieron

This is literally common sense. Askren was green, fighting a veteran with world class experience. Georges was more experienced than Hieron, and they were both green.

How does this need to be explained?

Oh....you mean when Colby let him take him down after going 100% for several minutes straight? And then Colby stood up immediately?

Yea that was Colby just taking a break from ragdolling Rda for four rounds.
The state of his fans.
{<jordan}

Askren has never fought a high level wrestler. Josh Koscheck would have beaten Askren to a bloody pulp.

Back