Askren: "Colby Covington is is a poor mans version of me"

My fault I should had clarified I meant to say he was on a good streak on minor orgs that earned him a ticket back to the ufc so the guy didn’t suck is all I’m saying. I think askren is good just not as good as he himself thinks is all, I think Colby actually beats him

<mma4>

Agree

some people have too much organization loyalty to take off their blinders.

Regardless of his wrestling career, he crushes cans in the C leagues while Colby faces the best and actually held a belt.

I bet them fighting would be like downing half a bottle of NyQuil

Who is the askren fella he seems to pop up every now and then claims he is a former
Champ and talks like a jilted ex of uncle Dana and he can smash ever ufc fighter

Dunno who wins the MMA fight but Askren is a far better wrestler and Coby Cringington has bad standup. It's not like Coby can sprawl and brawl to any good effect.

As far as calling him a title holder? Lol WME TMZMMA Interim titles are meaningless. Just a marketing gimmick.

Anyway Woodley ruins them both.

I do think Askren may be better but even now Colby has the more high profile win in his career.
Not that its Askrens fault but Colby will have a much better record when he will retire. Definitely more losses but that is expected if you fight the best. Regarding fight style its strange that Askren is attacking Colby. Would have thought he likes this sort of fighting.

Colbys strategy and execution of fighting against RDA was very high level. Really surprised me.

Its hilarious when people say this.

Ben Askren had a total of 8 career fights when he fought Hieron. Completely green, and he won. So you understand, Hieron had a total of 4 professional fights when Georges beat him. Context matters.

Askren openly campaigned to be in the UFC and Dana, for personal or financial reasons, refused to sign him, despite him clearly being the most talented free agent in the sport at the time.

You can't blame Askren for never getting a chance to fight in the UFC.

GSP had 6 total fights before Jay Hieron...

Then why are you counting him as a great win for Colby lol?
I mentioned him cause he would beat any guy that Askren has beaten. Only Rory would maul him, but Imo he would maul Askren as well.

The man is a decorated wressler, top notch... but he hasnt fought anyone in mma. That is a fact.

Yea dude you left out the 2 guys Askren manhandled who each beat top UFC talent. Lima beat Larkin handily and damn near beat Rory. Koreshkov handled Bendo with ease.

I'm talking about what they did lately because Colby is still active and Ben's still pushing for fights, there's no doubt in my mind that Askren has better wrestling than Colby or that he would've done well in the UFC.

GSP basically called him a nobody when he asked for a fight because that's what he's done with his career and fighting better opponents here and there doesn't change that. After Bellator, most of his opponents don't even have a wiki page.

Imagine a bigger, stronger, better wrestler than Khabib (and way better than Colby lol) if you want an idea of what RDA-Askren would look like.
Imagine RDA has improved a lot and is now a WW size. You may be right...Askren might be able to LnP on RDA for 5 rounds. But if Askren had that much trouble with Santos, I could also see RDA giving him fits. Could go either way.

Last edited:
I don't like either guy but one of them is at least playing with the big boys.
Maia and Rda are way better wins than anyone on Askren’s resume.

Its easier to look awesome in ac level promotion fighting nobodies. Its a different ballgame when you are in the ufc. Lombard, Alvarez, Torres and many others are examples of that.
Douglas Lima and Koreshkov are arguably tougher opponents than anyone Colby has beaten.

I mentioned him cause he would beat any guy that Askren has beaten. Only Rory would maul him, but Imo he would maul Askren as well.

The man is a decorated wressler, top notch... but he hasnt fought anyone in mma. That is a fact.

RDA loses to both Andrey and Lima IMO.

Rory BARELY got by Lima and you see hum msuling Askren? Imagine round 1 of Rory-Maia x5.

Lima beat Larkin.

Andrey handled Bendo.

Neither were competitive with Askren.

Post-UFC champ Bendo also lost to Freire and Cerrone. He also got destroyed and finished by RDA (Andrey didn't finish him). He's a shell of his former self and not even worth mentioning as a serious LW, much less a WW. This MMA Math needs to stop...

Douglas Lima and Koreshkov are arguably tougher opponents than anyone Colby has beaten.

And Maia and RDA are arguably tougher opponents than Askren has beaten. It depends who you ask.

Askren kills him, but we'll never see it.

Despite very similar styles Colby has marketed himself well and Ben hasn't.

I mean it is a fight I'd like and would certainly watch but Askren maybe a lost cause at this point. Shame we never got to see him make a UFC run.

Herion has never had a good ufc run, every time he has made it to the big show he has proved he doesn’t belong there , losses and goes back to minor Orgs.

And he gave Askren real trouble.

Let that shit sink in.

<TheWire1>
He gave Askren trouble EIGHT YEARS AGO
when Askren was 9-0 and could even establish top position and was stuck scrambling against every opponent for 15-25 minutes

Post-UFC champ Bendo also lost to Freire and Cerrone. He also got destroyed and finished by RDA (Andrey didn't finish him). He's a shell of his former self and not even worth mentioning as a serious LW, much less a WW. This MMA Math needs to stop...

It's not like Patricky and Cerrone are bad fighters, or like the fights were one-sided. He was also 4-2 in his last 6 heading into the Koreshkov fight, and the Masvidal victory turned out to be pretty good for welterweight.
Wasn't he also like a -500 favorite against Koreshkov?

Imagine round 1 of Rory-Maia x5.

Actually, imagine the early WW Maia (who beat Fitch at his own game and subbed Rick Story with ease) against Askren. Do you really think he'd want to spend 5 rounds on the ground with Maia? Jake Shields was willing to grapple with Maia, but he has much more experience and skill in submissions and submission-defense than Askren. I think Maia circa 2012-3 (when Askren was talking about coming to the UFC) would be a nightmare for Ben. Maia is a pretty bad striker, but Askren is worse. Askren would have to risk losing a bad kickboxing fight or rolling with Maia for 25 minutes and avoiding a sub.

Again, it's all about match-ups.

Back