Askren: "Colby Covington is is a poor mans version of me"

Now that's a boring fight. If Askren ever does come over I'm fine with it. Get both of them out of sight for a few months in just one match up. No need to mess up more of a card by having them fight 2 other people.

Askren dumps Colby on his head at will for a standard UD or TKO on the ground.
Which one of askrens fights leads you to believe so? Not being argumentative, just wondering. Colby, as far as I've seen, seems to be just as talented (or more) then Ben. But, it'd be an interesting scrap.

Ben has been in Olympic, Cloby wasn't.

Fighting the Dong, Maia and dos Anjos and being close to a fight with Tyron trumps beating Agilan Thani, Kadestam Sebastian and even Shinya.

Other than that it's just cheap talk and living in the past, with all due respect to Ben's wrestling accomplishments ten years ago.

I really wanted to see Ben vs GSP when it mattered, I moved on now.

I would pay shit tons of money to watch this 2 clowns talking shit to each other and have one of them loosing

I enjoy that Askren knows he's boring but also recognizes that Colby is also boring as fuck and not as good.

Its hilarious when people say this.

Ben Askren had a total of 8 career fights when he fought Hieron. Completely green, and he won. So you understand, Hieron had a total of 4 professional fights when Georges beat him. Context matters.

Askren openly campaigned to be in the UFC and Dana, for personal or financial reasons, refused to sign him, despite him clearly being the most talented free agent in the sport at the time.

You can't blame Askren for never getting a chance to fight in the UFC.
It was only Pierre’s 2nd UFC fight, Karo Parisyan was his only notable fight to date at that time.

The other 4 fights before that were in the Canadian minor leagues.

Gsp was arguably greener and younger than Herion when they fought and he murdered him.

A tired worn down do nothing Herion Gave the fresher Askren more trouble than the Prime Herion did to a green GSP.

That’s what’s really the context

Maia and Rda are way better wins than anyone on Askren’s resume.

Its easier to look awesome in ac level promotion fighting nobodies. Its a different ballgame when you are in the ufc. Lombard, Alvarez, Torres and many others are examples of that.
I remember when this was being said about WEC and Strikeforce

A tired worn down do nothing Herion Gave the fresher Askren more trouble than the Prime Herion did to a green GSP.

Jay was on a 10 fight winstreak and hadn't lost in 4 years but whatever you have to tell yourself to be convinced Colby is a superior talent to Askren.

Jay was on a 10 fight winstreak and hadn't lost in 4 years but whatever you have to tell yourself to be convinced Colby is a superior talent to Askren.
It must be hard having your favorite fight in a lesser org fighting people that couldn’t hack it in the UFC as your hero.

Conor bless

Colby Covington has better wins than Askren.

Ben would be in the UFC by now if he wanted to be there. You don't get pictures with the president of the United States of America when you fight much weaker competition in Asia.

Comparing colby to askren is a joke...
Askren was on the US Olympic team with Cormier.
He didn't even have a better wrestling career than Woodley ...
Let's not even start on mma

No, let's do start with MMA. Askren struggled mightily with Jay Hieron (who was easily finished by GSP, Woodley and others) and his only good wins are over strikers (Lima has really bad TDD and Koreshkov was really green at the time). He then left to fight cans and has-beens in OneFC...and was really struggling with Santos before the DQ.

I don't doubt Askren is a better wrestler than Colby, but if he had trouble taking RDA down, could he win via 5 rounds of pressure fighting, determination and an iron chin like Colby? I don't know. He didn't fight enough quality opponents for us to know. At least Colby is in the big leagues and didn't run off to a small org after a couple of nice wins.

Its easier to look awesome in ac level promotion fighting nobodies. Its a different ballgame when you are in the ufc. Lombard, Alvarez, Torres and many others are examples of that.

Don't forget Will Brooks and Jake Shields--especially Brooks.

It was only Pierre’s 2nd UFC fight, Karo Parisyan was his only notable fight to date at that time.

The other 4 fights before that were in the Canadian minor leagues.

Gsp was arguably greener and younger than Herion when they fought and he murdered him.

You know hieron was on somewhat of a streak before coming back to the ufc l, you can make the argument he was better then than when he fought gsp. You also know that gsp had a ton of hype and I mean a ton of hype back there. I mean he was looked at as the Hughes replacement when Matt was still good

Come on Ben, just fight him ( sorry I forgot we've all know who he is & you only fight guys we've never heard of in Singapore)

Ben has been in Olympic, Cloby wasn't.

Kevin Jackson was an Olympic wrestler and Frank Shamrock didn't even attend (or wrestle in) college. Guess what? Frank subbed Jackson in 16 seconds. Olympic success doesn't guarantee MMA success.

LOL askren struggled with GSP leftover Jay Hieron .

No, let's do start with MMA. Askren struggled mightily with Jay Hieron (who was easily finished by GSP, Woodley and others)

At least he didn't get submitted by him.

BlueAccurateBlackfly-size_restricted.gif

The plain reason Ben isn't in the UFC is because of Dana, not because of skill.
He would probably be in the same position as usman and colby now or champion.

That's a 2-way street. Josh Barnett and Dana had a lot of squabbles after Josh's first UFC departure, but Josh humbled himself (as much as he could...we are talking about Barnett) and came back. If Askren just chilled a bit, there's a chance he could've come to the UFC.

Nah, Koreshkov and Lima both would have a good chance over RDA.

Warlley is a much uglier loss than any of Askren's.

Back