Relationship Asking for Dad's permission to marry daughter yay or nay?!

It's a normal thing to do. You are not really asking for permission. Is more like a heads up: "Yo pops I'm gonna marry yo daughter".

Yeah that's how I view it too. "I'm going to do this but I wanted to make sure you're cool with it first. It's happening either way but I wanted to give you the courtesy as the father."

yes. i also call him to ask permission to have sex with his daughter every time we’re in the mood. if he says no, the lady & i just dry hump until i cream my shorts.

Maybe, but ritual had always been to ask the dad and the mom usually obliges.

A lot of dumb shit is ritual. In today's society women have the same rights as men and aren't the property of their fathers.

It's a sign of respect. So yes, I think people should ask "permission". If my daughter gets married someday the man better have enough balls to talk to me first.

Of course it's not really permission, it's more a man to man discussion about intentions and, again, showing respect.

I'd say more like you are asking for the father's blessing on it vs actually asking permission.

A lot of dumb shit is ritual. In today's society women have the same rights as men and aren't the property of their fathers.
Would you want some random cunt just marrying your daughter without asking you?

There was this cute Indian chick that would only deal with me at work. She was a student at UT. She was way too nice and innocent for me. Anyhow, she comes into work as usual, but she's with her father this time. The guy immediately asks me about my intentions with his daughter. I told him I didn't have any. Then, he asks about my level of education. I entertain the man. He mentions how I am not fit for his daughter. I was too confused to be offended. He walks over to his daughter and says something to her in Hindi. She starts to cry and they leave. I never saw her again.
My wife is Indian, but her dad already died way before we met. Also one of her sisters already married an Italian and moved to Italy when he was alive.

There was an article in the Miami herald recently saying around 47% of grooms asked for permission from the bride's father before proposing.

Did the married guys on sherdog ask for permission before proposing?

My girlfriend has told me that I might have to ask her father's permission before I propose

<LikeReally5>

I did but knew the answer beforehand. I think this is one of those family specific things.

Would you want some random cunt just marrying your daughter without asking you?

It's none of your business who your daughter marries. Why are you owed anything more than the mother is? Does what you say make a material difference? You're lucky to even be invited to the wedding.

It's none of your business who your daughter marries. Why are you owed anything more than the mother is? Does what you say make a material difference? You're lucky to even be invited to the wedding.
It’s just common sense.

lots of people lacking that recently..

If it were about respect it would be customary to ask the mom too. It's a cultural holdover from women being property. Same thing with the walking to the alter.
Exactly. It's pretty much saying we are owned by our father and the female who birthed us, hey-ho. Doesn't matter.
Archaic, disrespectful and stupid.

I did, and the dip shit went and told my soon to be wife what I was planning, and if she was ready? So there went that surprise. We all laugh now, but mine is an annoyed sarcastic laugh.

So if total surprise is your desire, don’t ask.

Nope, if you are getting married you should test drive the product at least a couple years before you ask her hand in marriage. By that time you should be comfortable asking without asking “permission”.

If hes a good dude tell him your planning on asking her, dont as him tho lol.

I did - My ex's parents were very old-school, so I took them out to dinner and formally asked to marry their daughter.

I think it depends on your culture and age of your girlfriends parents. If they are young and progressive, they will probably think asking is antiquated and unnecessary.

If hes a good dude tell him your planning on asking her, dont as him tho lol.
Why would you bother doing that?
While it's archaic I get in certain family scenarios asking permission but why would you bother telling him you were planning a proposal?

Seems like the honorable and respectful thing to do. But if he says no, I would still propose to her. lol

Why would you bother doing that?
While it's archaic I get in certain family scenarios asking permission but why would you bother telling him you were planning a proposal?

Depends on the type of rapport you have with the father in law. If you guys get a long well and have a friendly relationship I would mention it.

Back