Relationship Asking for Dad's permission to marry daughter yay or nay?!

I'd never even met him when I proposed. She doesn't come with a dowry unfortunately, so it didn't seem like something I needed to negotiate.

There was an article in the Miami herald recently saying around 47% of grooms asked for permission from the bride's father before proposing.

Did the married guys on sherdog ask for permission before proposing?

My girlfriend has told me that I might have to ask her father's permission before I propose

<LikeReally5>
That seems super weird btw. Is he very controlling or something?

No, we don't live in a society where women are their father's property anymore.

So does the dad ever say no or is this just a "thanks for asking" box to check off.

If their dad said no, would you not propose?

I wouldn't. I don't think it's common in the Netherlands anymore.

Not sure why he should have a say in it anyway. Sounds like a pretty backwards and outdated custom perpetuated by people who want to control their daughter.

If it were about respect it would customary to ask the mom too. It's a cultural holdover from women being property. Same thing with the walking to the alter.
Maybe, but ritual had always been to ask the dad and the mom usually obliges.

It's a normal thing to do. You are not really asking for permission. Is more like a heads up: "Yo pops I'm gonna marry yo daughter".

i think asking is appropriate. but if the father doesn't like you and doesn't want the marriage to take place, that's too bad for the father.

It's a slippery slope. I don't think it's wrong nor right to ask all depends on the person n situation

I did, it's just like a traditional thing and it shows respect to your spouse's pop. I really like my ladies Father so I didn't mind doing it, seemed to make him happy too.

Not sure what I'll do. I plan on marrying my girl within a few years but so far I've only met her dad once, over a few days family trip. He is fairly introverted/nerdy and not super conversational, engaging or outgoing. So he's a bit tough to read. He seems like a "nice guy" and his wife seems to wear the pants a fair bit.

I don't think it will make any difference either way. I could call him and ask for his blessing out of respect, or a nod to traditions. I imagine that it would get back to my then-wife who would be surprised by it. There's no way it would be received negatively by anyone so I imagine it may be a good idea. Can't hurt at least. He may really like the ego-boost from me asking him and feel super respected.

Back