Relationship Asking for Dad's permission to marry daughter yay or nay?!

Depends on the type of rapport you have with the father in law. If you guys get a long well and have a friendly relationship I would mention it.
To me, it's a private and beautiful moment between you and your girlfriend. I took myself off into a meeting room to call my mum the morning after, then emailed my boss because I didn't want a fuss but still wanted him to know early doors. He darted over, picked me off my chair and gave me a massive bear hug but didn't say anything to anyone.

I did it cause my wife wanted me to. I think the whole thing is silly and he didn’t even give me his permission cause he said he didn’t really Know me. Which was true.

we got married anyways and she got pissed at him.

Why just the father? In Poland it's customary to ask the parents' permission. It's oldfashioned but I really like it. By marrying their daughter you become part of their family so it's kind of nice to make sure you feel welcome.

Sure, I like traditions like this.

TBH, I'm half thinking about arranged marraiges for my kids. Most of my peers are either divorced or lifetime singles, so my wife and I are lucky to have found each other. That is not to say they will he forced to marry someone, but that they will be introduced to suitors from the family of friends and colleagues from a young age to see if any bond develops.

At a fall festival in 2019 a parent of a girl in my son's class made a similiar comment whe we saw them both sat together holding hands and sharing a chocolate muffin at the back of the dancehall. So I know I'm not the only one in my community who thinks like this.

I think that’s what every father would want, I’m not married but if the day comes I’ll without a doubt ask the dad for his daughters hand. I’m pretty traditional.

If the dad looked like a reasonable guy, yes. It's tradition but more importantly, it's about trust. Also I'm 25 so...

Imagine you're a father and the boy wanted to marry your daughter. There's no reason to refuse him unless he gave you a reason, in which case it's probably more the kid's problem. That's assuming the father's a normal reasonable person of course. If the kid makes her happy, can provide for her so she won't live badly and treats her right, why not?

Well... I'd probably refuse a couple based on looks. I don't want to have to look at a Rocky Dennis every Christmas nor would I want little Rocky Denni shlurping around the house calling me granpa.

You should've fucked every female her father ever shared a room with. His wife, his mother, his grandmother, great grandmother, kids, etc.
There was this cute Indian chick that would only deal with me at work. She was a student at UT. She was way too nice and innocent for me. Anyhow, she comes into work as usual, but she's with her father this time. The guy immediately asks me about my intentions with his daughter. I told him I didn't have any. Then, he asks about my level of education. I entertain the man. He mentions how I am not fit for his daughter. I was too confused to be offended. He walks over to his daughter and says something to her in Hindi. She starts to cry and they leave. I never saw her again.

Thinking back, my father in law asked me several times "so when are you two getting married?"

There was an article in the Miami herald recently saying around 47% of grooms asked for permission from the bride's father before proposing.

Did the married guys on sherdog ask for permission before proposing?

My girlfriend has told me that I might have to ask her father's permission before I propose

<LikeReally5>

Our oldest just recently got married. We've known her fiancé for years and he asked both my wife and I for permission. For some reason I never asked my in-laws for permission back in 92 when my wife an I got married. It never came up. So I guess they were okay with it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kilgorevontrouty
Back