Relationship Asking for Dad's permission to marry daughter yay or nay?!

Simple Southerner

Etriviere By Hermes Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
There was an article in the Miami herald recently saying around 47% of grooms asked for permission from the bride's father before proposing.

Did the married guys on sherdog ask for permission before proposing?

My girlfriend has told me that I might have to ask her father's permission before I propose

<LikeReally5>

Permission? If he says no are you going to leave? I could see talking about your intentions if you two get on with one another, but otherwise it's between your gf and you.
Exactly. It's a respect thing, so I think it's fine and maybe even good to do. But it's not like if he said no it's going to make any difference.

Nah. I get why people do, but if you’re two consenting adults, then you do what you want to, familial approval be damned. If her dad has a problem with it - or any parent for that matter - they need to take a step back and realize it’s not their decision to make.

I guess I’d say it’s a courtesy but far from a necessity.

There was an article in the Miami herald recently saying around 47% of grooms asked for permission from the bride's father before proposing.

Did the married guys on sherdog ask for permission before proposing?

My girlfriend has told me that I might have to ask her father's permission before I propose

<LikeReally5>

Oh fuck no. What is this the 1950's?

I can't wait till some dude asks me if he can propose to my daughter.

I'll sit there cleaning my shotgun and tell him no. And threaten to kill him if he does it anyway.

That way, if he asks her anyway then I'll know he really loves her since he's risking his life.

But then again, it could also mean he's not afraid of me, which would be a problem.

Maybe I'll kick his ass before the wedding just to be on the safe side.

Permission? If he says no are you going to leave? I could see talking about your intentions if you two get on with one another, but otherwise it's between your gf and you.

There was this cute Indian chick that would only deal with me at work. She was a student at UT. She was way too nice and innocent for me. Anyhow, she comes into work as usual, but she's with her father this time. The guy immediately asks me about my intentions with his daughter. I told him I didn't have any. Then, he asks about my level of education. I entertain the man. He mentions how I am not fit for his daughter. I was too confused to be offended. He walks over to his daughter and says something to her in Hindi. She starts to cry and they leave. I never saw her again.

Last edited:
Back