Asking for a "break" while rolling

Jesse said:
I thought is was good to keep going when tired, it forces technique due to lack of strength
yes it is but a 20 min roll can ware down anyone you gotta stop at some point ... like i said its TRAINING not competition i could care less who taps when i roll with my training partners as long as i learn and get better

flyingknee16 said:
No, to me the guy sounded like he was pussying out. I too, would be irritated if the same thing happened to me.

The only thing that would stop a roll other than time limit or submission, should be a painful muscle cramp, or an injury, or feeling seriously sick (like wanting to vomit). Even then, sometimes I will keep going.

We seem to be in the minority, but I agree with you - the guy had great position for 20 minutes (really? 20 Minutes IS a damn long roll with no result) and when he lost position to the nuetral guard he gave up. That is lame. But so is being irritated after you spend 20 minutes being ridden and the gave pusses out when you finally reverse. Completely human and understandable, but still lame.

If you can stand the guy keep rolling with him - you guys are a great match skill wise if you can roll that long with a tap.

As long as he is not sand bagging then I see no problem with it. We know our bodies better than anybody. If he is pouring sweat and legitimately gassed then give the dude a break. This isn't a real life fight, he is only training for one. He may not be on your level yet if that's the case. Is he improving each day?

If he was on the offense for twenty minutes, he may have jsut worn himself out on multiple levels, not even talking about his cardio and stuff. His hands and muscles are probably all lacitic acid and worn out.

Good job to roll for that long.

Sometimes when you are too tired your CNS will be fucked and it doesn't matter what technique you try to pull, your body won't listen correctly.

alexgncw said:
honestly i think you are wrong here because you need to understand that rolling in training is not competition so if someone is tired or hurt or we else its not a big deal to stop you are not trying to beat the other guy you are trying to learn so if your training partner runs out of steam after a 20 min roll which is quite possible and wants to stop you should ... this reminds me of the new guys that get mad if they think they have you in a sub when the time runs out and try to finish it after everyone else stops

right

I think he wussed out too.... 20 minutes on top and he doesn't gas, but when he gets put on his back he's willing to take a break? Teh gheys.

Most times we roll have a time limit, like say 5 or 7 minute rounds. Don't blame the guy for wanting to take a break from training after 20 minutes. C'mon.

a 20 minute roll is tough man. I rolled for 15 minutes straight with this purple belt last night (i'm blue) and after he said you good I was like fuck yeah.

20 minutes is long and even if you're in a dominant position you'll likely to get exhausted by it so props to you for your cardio dude.
Still he might've been gassed or dehydrated or cramping up or something.
I try to let people submit me even though I'm gassed just to let them practice their subs but sometimes when I'm so bad off I can hardly breathe I just have to take a break. Like the others said: it's just training.

Considering your average MMA fight is 3 x 5 minute round with 1 minute breaks, 20 minutes is more than most fighters prepare for. Even a PRIDE fight only lasts 20 minutes.

People saying "well he was on top and pussied out when he lost position", do you know how hard it is to control a resisting opponent for that long and dominate position? It's not exactly lazing by the beach.

Superbeast said:
Considering your average MMA fight is 3 x 5 minute round with 1 minute breaks, 20 minutes is more than most fighters prepare for. Even a PRIDE fight only lasts 20 minutes.

People saying "well he was on top and pussied out when he lost position", do you know how hard it is to control a resisting opponent for that long and dominate position? It's not exactly lazing by the beach.

Yeah, I know that it is tiring to control a resisting opponent, maybe the guy should have gone for a submission and tried finishing instead of just holding down the other guy . . . it's training after all, it's OK to lose position and have to work from an inferior position.

While you were on your back defending for 20 minutes and he is working from the top, no shit he will be tired. And btw you're an asshole. Learn how to realize that not everyone does BJJ for the same reasons.

flyingknee16 said:
No, to me the guy sounded like he was pussying out. I too, would be irritated if the same thing happened to me.

The only thing that would stop a roll other than time limit or submission, should be a painful muscle cramp, or an injury, or feeling seriously sick (like wanting to vomit). Even then, sometimes I will keep going.

I agree. Sounds like he was OK to keep going as long as he was not at risk of being subbed & as soon as he landed in a vulnerable position he called it quits.

However it WAS 20 minutes worth - so it could just be that the reason you gained the advantage was because he was exhausted....

Just keep training, don't worry about him. I don't see the problem, if you were still willing to go, then go find someone else to roll with... Maybe he was pussying out, I don't know I wasn't there, but even so don't let it bother you. You really don't have to submit HIM. Go get someone else. Besides at white subs (believe it or not) are not the most important thing your learning.

Jesse said:
So last night in class I was rolling with this guy for about 20 minutes or so. I was side-mounted or mounted the majority of the time, my submission defense is good enough to survive against white belts and some blue belts (I started training in January, bout 3 days a week) . Anyway, so after I finally get off my back into his guard he seems to turn off and says "hey wanna take a break" It kinda... well no not kinda, it flat out irritated me. IMO- When I roll during open mat there is no distance or time limits to keep in mind (unless you've got a family to get home to or prior obligations of course, which my sparring partner did not) Even if I'm flat out exhausted I want to go until a submission happens. It doesn't seem to bother me so much when Blue belts or a higher break off a roll cause it's taking to long or something, but this guy was my level, white belt.

Thanx for listening, or reading, or whatever the fuck you call it on the internet
Out of the two, you're the incorrect one.

Why?

Because in-class sparring shouldn't be a war to a victory. Some people fight as hard as they can until they're arguably dead, and others do it to a comfortable level of relative tiredness.

The fact that you got irritated with your training partner proves levels about you. Obviously, you should change the way you view the martial art and your training partners before you proceed further.

Jesse, was there something else going on? Did this guy really have you in the mount for 20 minutes? Damn. You should've escaped sooner than that! Was this a big class with everybody free rolling? Usually an instructor will call out "Change partners!" after about 3 to 5 minutes in the clubs I train in. Something just doesn't sound right.

I'm with the "you should relax" group.

You need to stop thinking about beating this guy and start thinking about how to prevent him dominating you for 20 minutes.

BTW, 20 minutes is a long time to roll, good work.

Superbeast said:
Psst, that is nothing. If you gas after only twenty minutes how are you going to compete during your three hours long limited-striking-allowed fight? :icon_twis

i'm going to come down on the relax and find a another sparring partner side of this. if the person you are rolling with decides to call it at any point and your raring to go, find another partner and go right into it. it sound slike what you are mad about is the fact that you wanted "revenge" and didn't get a chance to enact it upon him when you thought he got tired.

Back