Opinion Ask Me Anything About American Organized Crime

When did Michael Corleone first learn that Hyman Roth betrayed the family and could he have avoided bloodshed?

Thanks, I'll hang up and listen.

Rank the ethnic mobs in terms of wealth and power throughout American history in relation to the Italian mob. Jewish mob, Irish mob, Dixie mafia, Russian mob, Triads, Yakuza, black mob, Greek mob, and others. Please and thanks.

At least as far as the East Coast is concerned:
1. Jewish mob
2. Irish mob
3. Everyone else

Most of the "Caucasian" mobs generated by late 18th/early 20th century immigration assimilated into American culture so the need for them to organize into criminal groups became less and less. Italian-Americans benefited from the same assimilation but the culture and rites involved in being a member of the Italian-American mob proved to be more influential in continuing to persuade succeeding generations to continue to involve themselves in criminal activity.

I'm not an expert on them but Asian and Russian criminal organizations appear to generally have more power in their home countries with their American groups being more of an offshoot of the "home" organization. Italian-American OC groups, however, are considered to be independent from their Italian and Sicilian counterparts and are recognized as such.

The "Dixie" mafia and African-American mobs were generally too loosely organized or fractured to be of much threat to the OC "throne."

Vito shouldn't have been at that :eek::eek::eek: bar
giphy.gif

When did Michael Corleone first learn that Hyman Roth betrayed the family and could he have avoided bloodshed?

Thanks, I'll hang up and listen.

lost
But your father never trusted Hyman Roth

He told me....keep your friends close and your enemies closer.

this is the business we’ve chosen. I didn’t ask who gave the order because it had nothing to do with business

How accurate is mob depiction in the Sopranos.

Why do dummies support the Trump Crime Family?

How powerful is the italian mob on the international stage today? Use the strongest one of them all as a metric to gauge with.

Also i have found myself explaining to many Americans that at their peak, the Italian mob in Montreal was significantly wealthier and more powerful than the 5 families in New York. Is this correct or incorrect?

If you mean Italian-American mob, not much. There are some instances of them being involved in international drug smuggling but most of that is done through native Italian crime groups, especially the 'Ndrangheta.

Contrary to popular belief, the Montreal mafia (or "Rizzuto" Family) were not an independent organization, at least up until the last decade. Montreal was traditionally controlled by the Bonanno crime family based out of New York City, with the Buffalo (Maggadino) crime family also exerting influence in the area. However, how much influence the Bonanno family presently retains over Montreal is a bit more difficult to judge until we receive more information.

It's in the title, basically. Any questions you have about organized crime, direct them here. I research it in my spare time and it's become a sort of hobby of mine. I should mention that I am focusing mainly on "La Cosa Nostra," or Italian-American organized crime groups. Any discussion about other ethnic crime groups will only be in their relation to LCN.

Hopefully, it leads to some good discussion. Ask away.

The kid who rubbed out "Frankie Boy" Cali earlier this year, how long do you think he will actually last in prison before they get to him? Cali was THE BAWSE. No way they let that kid live.

I think I agree. 2 may have been better than 1
I go back and forth and I like aspects of it better. Gun to head 1 is better but it's arguable. But the two are at the top of all time great movies.

If the Italian Mafia was so strong in culture and tradition, how was John Gotti able to instantly transition them into "don't touch" territories such as the drug trade as well as accepting of his flamboyant style?

The drug trade was something that the mob was generally involved in throughout their history, despite some bosses showing an aversion to it. Money speaks volumes. At the time, however, Paul Castellano (boss prior to Gotti), was generally opposed to drug dealing in his family. To make a long story short, a member of Gotti's crew was implicated in drug dealing and was caught on tape. Castellano wanted a copy of the tape whereby he could justify killing this particular member. Gotti refused to hand the tapes over. His mentor and underboss of the family, Neil Dellacroce, tried to mediate between the two sides but died of cancer. Gotti, who felt that Castellano may also have him killed, then gathered a group of supporters and conspired to have Castellano killed. After he accomplished this, Gotti held the power base and members were essentially forced to put up with his flashy ways or suffer the same fate as Castellano.

I go back and forth and I like aspects of it better. Gun to head 1 is better but it's arguable. But the two are at the top of all time great movies.

It’s funny cause I do the same thing going back and forth. I like 2 because my god, Robert DeNiro plays such a badass and I like how it goes back and forth from old to new and Italy to America. We get DeNiro, Pacino and the Don all in the same movie.

100% of the time though if either is on I’m watching.

My fathers name was Antonio Andollini and this is for you. Gives me chills

this is the business we’ve chosen. I didn’t ask who gave the order because it had nothing to do with business
I don't like violence, Tom. I'm a businessman. Blood is a big expense.

Fuck I can do this all day (so many epic lines).

I don't like violence, Tom. I'm a businessman. Blood is a big expense.

Fuck I can do this all day (so many epic lines).

lol I know.

or if he should be struck by lighting, I’m going to blame some of the people in this room, and then I do not forgive

It's in the title, basically. Any questions you have about organized crime, direct them here. I research it in my spare time and it's become a sort of hobby of mine. I should mention that I am focusing mainly on "La Cosa Nostra," or Italian-American organized crime groups. Any discussion about other ethnic crime groups will only be in their relation to LCN.

Hopefully, it leads to some good discussion. Ask away.

Why could Johnny 'Pops" Papalia not gain control of Toronto?

OT- that's where the Pops in SammyPops comes from :)

How accurate is mob depiction in the Sopranos.

Fairly accurate, all things considered. They tended to exaggerate the actual wealth and power of your average mobster in the show but I consider that to be artistic license. They also tended to kill each other a lot more in the show than in actuality, especially in modern times.

Back