As WSOF and NBC extend agreement, promotion heads to network television

MMALOPEZ

Titanium Belt
@Titanium
Reaction score
Click the link for the full story.

http://mmajunkie.com/2014/05/as-wsof-and-nbc-extend-agreement-promotion-heads-to-network-television

The UFC will soon have competition on network television. WSOF officials are set to finally announce a long-rumored deal to bring the promotion to NBC.

MMAjunkie today confirmed with WSOF President Ray Sefo that the promotion has inked a new multi-year deal with NBC Sports Group that will see the company featured on multiple platforms over the coming year, including the brand’s primary network.

An official announcement is expected shortly.

The first event to appear on the Peacock Network will be “WSOF 11: Gaethje vs. Newell,” which takes place July 5 and features lightweight champ Justin Gaethje (11-0) taking on undefeated contender Nick Newell (11-0).

While specific arrangements of the new deal are not expected to be announced, the agreement runs through 2017. As many as 14 events could run on NBC Sports Group this year alone, a number that includes a Dec. 27 event on NBC, as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice. But just a few thoughts. Will randoms be put off by Newell (a "cripple" fighting against an able bodied person) or will they see it as an interesting story? Is Fitch being on the first card a wise decision considering his reputation?

Nice. But just a few thoughts. Will randoms be put off by Newell (a "cripple" fighting against an able bodied person) or will they see it as an interesting story? Is Fitch being on the first card a wise decision considering his reputation?

I think casuals will eat the one arm shit up. And considering what happened in the last Fitch burkman fight, I don't think wsof is that worried or jon grinding out a boring decision.

World Series on the same night as the UFC's July 4th & NYE cards. First WSOF 5 on the same night as Mayweather-Canelo now this, I wonder who's picking the dates.

The UFC will soon have competition on network television

bitch-bitch-face-bitch-please-harry-potter-hermione-Favim.com-371235.gif

Fitch is a great choice for the first show. He's a name that casual fans will recognize and will bring eyeballs. Hopefully Fitch is un-Fitchlike on that night or the rest of the fights are great. Newell is fascinating to watch and could turn into something with a good performance here.

Will be very interesting to see how this show does.

When has Fitch ever brought eyeballs to a show? Especially the broader audience which cares more about banging than Fitching.

Outside of the hardcore base, fans didn't tune into UFC cards because Fitch was competing. Why would they tune into an afternoon card of a promotion they've never heard of because Fitch is competing?

Fans who discuss MMA on internet forums will probably watch the WSOF card. History has shown that amounts to around 200,000 viewers. Fans who casually watch MMA will be hanging out at a BBQ, the beach or a pool party during the day; not staying in to watch WSOF if they plan on watching the UFC card later in the night.

I never understood the logic where a UFC fighter who didn't draw in the big leagues would magically become an attraction in a minor league promotion.

The "casual fans" would tune in more to see a one armed fighter over Fitch.

Last edited:
The NBC cards will be on in the afternoon, if they do well in the ratings they might get switched too prime time next year.

Main Event, the Boxing promoters have a similar deal.

That's interesting.

Could be the shot in the arm they need to staunch the flow of red ink.

I wonder if they'll still have the same relationship with the UFC, once WSOF is getting legit network time and money.

Awesome!

Will be going to this card. I may have to body paint some WSOF - JUST BLEED, get on network TV :)

This is great news! More MMA outlets = better for the fighters and the fans.

I wish them the best but nothing thus far has suggested it's going to work out well for them.

When has Fitch ever brought eyeballs to a show? Especially the broader audience which cares more about banging than Fitching.

Outside of the hardcore base, fans didn't tune into UFC cards because Fitch was competing. Why would they tune into an afternoon card of a promotion they've never heard of because Fitch is competing?

Fans who discuss MMA on internet forums will probably watch the WSOF card. History has shown that amounts to around 200,000 viewers. Fans who casually watch MMA will be hanging out at a BBQ, the beach or a pool party during the day; not staying in to watch WSOF if they plan on watching the UFC card later in the night.

I never understood the logic where a UFC fighter who didn't draw in the big leagues would magically become an attraction in a minor league promotion.

The "casual fans" would tune in more to see a one armed fighter over Fitch.

My site, MMADraws.com, has Fitch as the #14 draw at WW in all of MMA and the 2nd biggest name not in UFC outside of Jake Shields. In UFC, he's right around the Tyron Woodley-Damien Maia range but outside UFC, he's the biggest name they've got and they should put him on the card.

He's a name people recognize and when you're trying to attract fans that maybe watched some UFC in the past and see a name they recognize, it's a good tool.

Even on a weekend afternoon timeslot, they're going to get far more eyeballs watching their show than on a late Saturday night on NBCSN, I think that's a virtual guarantee.

As expected, assume its gonna be an afternoon show, probably around 4pm est.

Gonna make July 5th an awesome day for mma fans.

They must be getting good ratings on the sports channel if they are increasing shows with some on NBC.

What about their increased TV deal?

What about it? I mean it's good, very good in fact for WSOF. There's just little to suggest they're going to capitalize on the opportunity. It's not like they were setting the world ablaze with their numbers on NBCSN to begin with. I know NBCSports isn't exactly a premier destination channel but I don't think they've ever outdone Bellator on MTV 2 numbers. I think their high to this point is 240K viewers.

It would be a great thing if WSOF were to be a smash hit. More eyes on MMA and more money to the fighters is a great thing. The reality though is that this is the equivalent of cheap, niche programming for NBC. They put shows on the same days as other big shows (remember when NBC Sports wanted WSOF 2 to be on the same day as UFC on Fox in Jan) and do VERY little to promote these things.

Back