As of September 25, 2016, there have been 3879 fights held by the UFC - Fun Facts about UFN 95!

JayPettryMMA

Danger Zone Aficionado
Staff member
Forum Administrator
Reaction score
All UFC Fight results:

457 KOs
829 TKOs
903 Submissions

1251 Unanimous Decisions
332 Split Decisions
24 Majority Decisions
3 Technical Decisions
4 Decisions (with no judging given, just the winner)
1 Winner by Default

26 Draws
39 No Contests
11 Disqualifications

Breakdowns:

Method of Victory (will not add up to the numbers above, there will be some overlaps or omissions)

KO

6 KOs by Slam, 1 by Suplex
24 KOs involving Elbows
41 KOs stemming from a Head Kick
122 One Punch KOs
207 KO (Punches)
12 KOs by Flying strikes
8 KOs from Spinning strikes
13 KOs by a Single Knee, one by multiple knees

TKO

4 TKOs involving a Slam
6 TKOs involving a Spinning strike
7 TKOs involving a Single Punch
38 TKOs from Body strikes
16 TKOs by Corner Stoppage
11 TKOs by Cut (may be misleading, as after 2005 they were marked as Doctor Stoppage)
47 TKOs by Doctor Stoppage
26 TKOs by Injury, 1 by Muscle Spasm
2 TKOs by Retirement

Submission

61 Technical Submissions (for those unaware, this is when the ref stops the fight due to a fighter losing consciousness or breaking bones and not because of a tap)
12 Verbal Submissions

Types of Submission
5 Achilles Locks
6 Americanas/Keylocks
13 Anaconda Chokes
104 Armbars
10 Armlocks of various degree
45 Arm-Triangle Chokes
2 Submissions due to Body Lock/Triangle
5 Bulldog Chokes
1 Submission due to a Chin to the Eye
1 Crucifix Choke
18 D'Arce Chokes
1 Dave Schultz Front Headlock
3 Submissions by Exhaustion
2 Flying Chokes
3 Forearm Chokes
156 Guillotine Chokes
1 Submission by Headbutt
13 Heel Hooks
1 Japanese Necktie
27 Kimuras
11 Kneebars
3 Lapel Chokes
1 Submission due solely to Mount
6 Neck Cranks
4 Ninja Chokes
3 North-South Chokes
1 Omoplata
1 Peruvian Necktie
1 Pillory Choke (No-arm Triangle, Nick Pace)
2 Submissions due to Position
306 Rear Naked Chokes
1 Reverse Calf Slicer
1 Scarf-Hold Headlock
1 Toe Hold
53 Triangle Chokes
15 Triangle Armbars
1 Twister
2 Von Flue Chokes
11 Verbal Submissions

52 Submissions due to Strikes (including Hackney vs Son)
9 Submissions by Injury

Draws
11 Majority Draws
6 Split Draws
3 Unanimous Draws
6 Draws simply listed as Draws

If there are other breakdowns you are interested in, post your ideas in this thread. I can try to take a look if it's feasible.

Last edited:
Those submissions vs tko vs ko numbers sure put a damper on the "submissions are dead in mma" threads.

Would be interesting to see the stats over time, IE if submissions truly are falling off over time.

Let's see, @CM 4. Keeping this to UFC obviously...

Favorite knockouts involve kicks - Silva over Belfort, Machida over Randy, and Barboza over Etim.

Favorite submissions are hard to mention without Korean Zombie's Twister over Garcia, and I love D'Arce chokes so Cucuy over Barboza is up there for me too. And Hughes/Trigg 2 for good measure.

Favorite fights - probably the same as a bunch of people with Hendo vs Shogun I, Wandy vs Stann, and Griffin vs Bonnar I.

Would be interesting to see the stats over time, IE if submissions truly are falling off over time.
I can actually do something like that, sorting by year real quick if interested. Maybe that's another breakdown I'll do in the original post. I plan on breaking it down first by method of victory (armbars, triangles, etc) and then I can do by year.

And only ONE...

...submission via Omoplata

ben_saunders.0.jpg

Let's see, @CM 4. Keeping this to UFC obviously...

Favorite knockouts involve kicks - Silva over Belfort, Machida over Randy, and Barboza over Etim.

Favorite submissions are hard to mention without Korean Zombie's Twister over Garcia, and I love D'Arce chokes so Cucuy over Barboza is up there for me too. And Hughes/Trigg 2 for good measure.

Favorite fights - probably the same as a bunch of people with Hendo vs Shogun I, Wandy vs Stann, and Griffin vs Bonnar I.
Good lists.

Favorite KOs: Silva vs Belfort, Henderson vs Bisping, Aldo vs Mendes I
Favorite submissions: Hughes vs Almeida, Chan Sung Jung vs Leonard Garcia, Silva vs Sonnen I
Favorite fights: Lawler vs MacDonald II, Lawler vs Condit, Henderson vs Rua I and II, Edgar vs Maynard II and III

Im surprised to see there were 11 DQs
Musta been mostly in the early years

Good stuff jeicex. Thanks for putting in the work.

Interesting. Who were the technical decisions, decision with no judges and winner by default?

I updated Methods of Victory on the original post to include breakdowns of KOs/TKOs/Subs

good stuff. really makes me think back to my Affliction shirt-wearing days...

The winner by default may be a bit of a misnomer, because he didn't actually fight but won the UFC 11 Tourney because everyone was injured and couldn't continue. So it may actually be 3799, but I like this round 3800.

Nice work...you should put this up somewhere in an article before "MMA journalists" steal your work and pass it off as their own.

Interesting. Who were the technical decisions, decision with no judges and winner by default?
Technical decisions, oddly enough two of the three happening at UFC 159:

UFC 159 - Ovince St. Preux over Gian Villante as an eye poke in the 3rd by St. Preux forced a technical (majority) decision
UFC 159 - Michael Bisping over Alan Belcher as an eye poke in the 3rd by Bisping forced a technical (unanimous) decision
UFC Fight Night 84 - Daniel Omielanczuk over Jaris Danho as Danho was struck in the groin in the 3rd and unable to continue forcing a technical (majority) decision

Decision with no judges, as in 1997 and 1998 they didn't have commissions in Japan or Brazil to make the decisions we're accustomed to:

UFC Japan - Randy Couture over Maurice Smith
UFC Japan - Tank Abbott over Yoji Anjo
UFC Brazil - Pat Miletich over Mikey Burnett
UFC Brazil - Tsuyoshi Kosaka over Pete Williams

Winner by Default:

Mark Coleman at UFC 11, he won the UFC 11 Tournament because Scott Ferrozzo was injured and the alternates were all unable to continue. It's a tough designation but one I decided on, even if it may not quite reflect in Coleman's record.

The winner by default may be a bit of a misnomer, because he didn't actually fight but won the UFC 11 Tourney because everyone was injured and couldn't continue. So it may actually be 3799, but I like this round 3800.

Oh I see, I was sure that could be something about early days

The lone TKO by retirement was Lucas Martins against Barboza, right?

It's crazy that there haven't been more, tbh.

Thanks for the info, interesting stuff, for sure.

Back