As an Irish fan how do you feel about Connor McGregor?

I once saw a redhead so I think this thread applies to me...*sigh*

I think he's great. Love seeing some top class representation in a sport I've followed for quite a while. I probably wouldn't even have signed up here were it not to discuss him

I really enjoy how people get so bent out of shape about his comments. Like do you really have nothing better to think about?

We've had a number of great Irish fighters, I imagine his rise to fame will result in even more in the next decade.

Agree with Doog Doogson tho, the 189 press conference in Dublin was so embarrassing for me as a long time Irish mma fan, made Irish fans look like a bunch of f*ckin idiots, cringeworhty.

Absolutely agree. His fans are far worse for our image than he'll ever be.

I'm well aware of that thank you, I was simply responding to Phillyz who disputed what I was saying.
It's the same as any other culture not just Irish. Italian-Americans like to embrace their heritage just like German-Americans. I don't see the problem with it but there is a line I think like if you're separated by several generations. But what I am saying is people don't go around claiming their Irish but rather Irish-American.. big difference. Like I said both of my grandparents were born there but I don't go around claiming I'm Irish when I'm not and nor do I want to be

I'm of Irish and German descent and I have no complaints about him. He talks a big game but he walks it too. He doesn't pull out of fight's over trivial injuries nor does he shirk from stylistically unfavorable fights at unfavourable circumstances.

Conor talks shit and backs it up. I like that. He also happens to be Irish, which is pretty neat. I wouldn't have thought it likely that an Irish guy would become so successful in the UFC.

But what I am saying is people don't go around claiming their Irish but rather Irish-American.. big difference. Like I said both of my grandparents were born there but I don't go around claiming I'm Irish when I'm not and nor do I want to be

Ah but my friend you also said this:

Philly also has a big Irish popation

So looks to me like you do claim to be Irish, not Irish-American.

I like whiskey and Guinness so this applies to me for sure.

I like Conor and his trash talk

It's the same as any other culture not just Irish. Italian-Americans like to embrace their heritage just like German-Americans. I don't see the problem with it but there is a line I think like if you're separated by several generations. But what I am saying is people don't go around claiming their Irish but rather Irish-American.. big difference. Like I said both of my grandparents were born there but I don't go around claiming I'm Irish when I'm not and nor do I want to be

I'm Italian American and my family is big on Italian tradition.

I couldnt really give a shit about Italy though, never did anything for me. Murica all the way baby.

Not Irish, dunno about making me proud but he makes me hard.

How did you see his "slagging" of Jose Aldo? Didn't seem like a bit of friendly banter to me...
banter in Ireland and the UK can sometimes escalate into vicious territories.... but its still just banter, until the first punch is thrown lol

I was born and live in Ireland and I find him entertaining, thought he was loosing it a bit in the dos anjos presser but he was back on track in the Diaz one. Thing is, he's taking the piss and laughing his balls off at people on forums getting worked up about the shit he's talking, wheather you like it or not you guys are doing his job for him by trying to disect everthing he says or does and he just sits back and laughs at how easy the promotion game is.

I love him. He is known here so love him or hate him he has put the ufc on the map here. Everyone I know is interested in him

I like the trashtalk because I see it for what it is, he is very confident in himself and he is successfully hyping up the fight.

Look at when Nate starts saying "F*ck you" to Conor, around 1:30 on this video:

Conor is just laughing along with it. He doesn't care what Nate is saying and really, Nate doesn't care what Conor is saying. Nate acted like he always acts.
Irish people tend to slag each other a lot, hence why McGregor appears to be so good at it. To me, it just looks like a mate slagging another mate down the pub to be honest.

This exactly.

Sounds like the Irish and Canadians are alike....we 'chirp' each other and bust each others ball all the time.

I did to, notice that Conor was enjoying it when Nate was saying 'fuck youu'.

Back