As a relative noob

burton.

White Belt
Reaction score
Which guard should i start to work on getting proficient at? As of now in my training (around a year on and off) I'm good at ... well... guard. Which variant should i start to work on? i'm thinking butterfly but i'm not sure. Any advice?

the one thats getting passed the most

Well i'm saying i haven't tried the other guards yet at all because i was trying to better my basics. Now i feel i'm ready to try a few new things so thats the reason...

butterfly is always a good choice, but don't overlook closed guard if you're brand new.

butterfly is always a good choice, but don't overlook closed guard if you're brand new.

Not brand new.... doing it for about a year. But alrighty, i've been watching tons of videos of different guards and this one seems to be the best one to learn as it seems fairly simple in execution.

if you do gi, i'm a big fan of spider guard. if you can get it, it provides a lot of options and attack combinations.

but yea, butterfly guard is good too

i also like to know a lot about my half guard, b/c there are a lot of side control and full mount defenses that can place you back into half guard, and knowing good sweeps and defenses from half guard really helps

at a year, you are not good at anything. just work open and closed guard.... you will find yourself accidentally in half butterfly pretty often, whi will give a chance to work that. at this point i would go out of my my to start developing alternative strategy
guards, you just dont know enough yet.

Which guard should i start to work on getting proficient at? As of now in my training (around a year on and off) I'm good at ... well... guard. Which variant should i start to work on? i'm thinking butterfly but i'm not sure. Any advice?

half maybe? if someone opens and passes your guard, most of the time you will end up in half... try working that

Open, closed, and half most probable positions and everything bases off of them.

I have been training for 6 months and I try to work every guard I possibly can.

Maybe that isnt the best thing to do, maybe I should work closed, then work BF, then open, then DLR, then Spider, then inverted...but I dont I work them all as I roll. Im better at some than others but I try to incorporate every weapon I can.

I dont think you need to learn one at a time. Bc if he stand up in your guard and you only know closed and butterfly your fucked. Nah mean??

Not brand new.... doing it for about a year. But alrighty, i've been watching tons of videos of different guards and this one seems to be the best one to learn as it seems fairly simple in execution.

and it pretty much leads into everything else. get good at butterfly, and a lot of more advanced shit will come to you easier down the road.

presuming that you are decent with the closed/full guard:
work on your half guard game, and you will nearly always end up here when getting passed.
work your butterfly game.

pretty much everything works around variations of butterfly and half guard.

Okay thanks for the tips everyone. i think i'll work on trying out butterfly tonight and see how that goes, along with half guard.

I would say half guard. I'm about at your level, give or take, and if I have any kind of choice, I will take closed, or half guard. I know some stuff from butterfly, open, and de la riva, but not enough to really work the guard effectivley. sometimes when I roll I will bust out some crazy guard, just to get used to using it

There are only three guards in BJJ . . . . Closed, Half, and Open. Every other "guard" is a variation of one of these. :redface::icon_chee

Back