As a fan for a decade...

See. I was excited for Silva vs. Sonnen because I thought Sonnen would do the impossible, when he got caught I disappointed. Put a slight damper on the fight.

Anderson being my all time favorite I was so PISSED when Weidman knocked him out, but after Saturday I could understand why so many people were so excited that it happened. Even though I am not, or should say wasn't, a JBJ fan I thought he would win easily and I thought if he lost it would be sad to lose such a dominate champion. But as the fight progressed I was super crunk cause I was sure Gus had it in the bag, especially after Buffer said 49-46. I'm disappointed, but I'm not mad. Jones showed champion caliber heart, and I'm sure the rematch will be great whenever it goes down.

This might sound like a troll, but I loved Brock Mir II. I can't stand Mir. I've been a fan since watching UFC II thru scrambled PPV. There are too many to pick.

Maybe I'm biased but wanderlei-Stann was more exciting. The possibility of jones losing a decision made it seem better than it was

Not the best I've seen, but still great. I thought Hendo vs Shogun, Chandler vs Alvarez were better. Hunt vs Wanderlei was a great fight too. Kind of depends on what you mean by "best." Something like Takayama vs Frye is about as wildly entertaining as you will get, but it didn't have the drama, skill or ramifications as any of the other fights that were mentioned earlier. Griffin-Bonnar 1 was a great fight, not nearly as skilled of course, but more entertaining and back and forth. I also thought Samerzier vs Cub Swanson or Korean Zombie vs Poirer were great fights too. I think Barao vs McDonald was a better fight this year too. Part of this is nobody has ever challenged Jones before, so while it was exciting and an instant classic in many ways, I don't know if I'd say it was a top five fight of all time or anything. Just the idea that Jones wasn't running over somebody and in a close fight added to the drama as much as the action itself.

Still a Jones hater, but since I am not delusional I realize he is a big deal for this sport (just don't care for his personality) and a major talent.

Delighted to see him not go all paper tiger when pressured (he's handled pain in the past, but never anxiety, and it would have been a waste to see him brock out even though I long for his first loss).

Also delighted in a big way that this rivalry, which could become the greatest in MMA history, has begun.

Awesome fight by both guys, much love and respect for Gus. Hope he footstomps more in the next one. :icon_evil

Tired of threads about decision and toes and motivation and rounds 2, 3, and 4. Gus said it best, you need to win every round vs the champ. I think he can take the rematch, and I won't bitch about the belt not changing hands this time around.

My generation's great, classic fight. Loved it.

Edgar - Maynard III was great too actually, but I think this one will have more impact.

Jones vs. Gustafsson was the best fight I have ever seen. It reminded me so much of Rocky. Even them meeting in the hospital to the inevitable rematch. I don't care who won, great fight! The stock of both fighters has been raised.

prior to the fight i was big jones hater but he won me over a lot with this one

also glad im not the only one who saw the rocky similarities

yeah i told my friend that these 2 might be intertwined for the rest of their careers like apollo creed and rocky.

when i was watching i was goin for jones but i just kinda had this stupid smile on my face and wide eyes thinking 'shit, jones is getting his ass kicked right now.'

yeah i told my friend that these 2 might be intertwined for the rest of their careers like apollo creed and rocky.

I said before the fight this would be a bigger rivalry than JDS vs Cain. Do I win a trophy? :D

I agree. Off the top of my head the only 2 I can immediately think of I enjoyed more were Shogun vs Hendo and Silva vs Sonnen 1. I don't think I will ever be as jubilant at the end of a fight as I was for Silva/Sonnen 1.

maybe if Silva beats Weidman

Shogun hendo was a better fight to watch but really did anyone care who won that fight?

silva/sonnen and jones/gust were fighting for their legacy. Sonnen and gust where fighting to be the one to dethrone the P4P #1 champ and go from making like 50k a fight to a million a fight...

silva and jones were fighting to create/increase their legacy and record titleruns.

jones/gust was more back and forth, but silva/sonnen had more shock factor for me and then silva being down 4 round to 0 and coming back and pulling off submission in last 1-2 minutes of the 5th round is fricking insane. Altho the controversial decision of jones/gust puts it right up there too.

I think they're all epic.

There were so many things about this fight that made it special. But damn, how many CHAMPIONSHIP fights do you see that are THAT good? To actually see Jones get hit, bleed, and not be able to get Gus down reminded me of seeing Anderson getting taken down over and over again by Chael in their first fight. You know you're witnessing something you weren't sure if you'd ever actually see.
These past 3 months certainly proved, nobody's invincible.

Since I had so much invested in it with both of them being two of my absolute favorite fighters, I would have to agree with you. Epic stuff, props to both guys. Hope the immediate rematch happens!

prior to the fight i was big jones hater but he won me over a lot with this one

also glad im not the only one who saw the rocky similarities

Sherdog needs more posters like yourself, people that can overlook their hate for a fighter and give props to a great fight...

FOTY for me and possibly one of my favorite UFC fights, Top 5, for sure.

yep, I am always cautious after a fight because let's face it the more recent the fight the more awesome it will be because it's so fresh in your memory.

Until serious nostalgia kicks in ofc!

Definitely a legendary contest and best fight in a long time

Jones vs. Gustafsson was the best fight I have ever seen. It reminded me so much of Rocky. Even them meeting in the hospital to the inevitable rematch. I don't care who won, great fight! The stock of both fighters has been raised.

Under the unfied rules: yes it was one of the most gripping fights for me too. Its up there with sho-hen. But pride rules I have seen way more exciting fights.

it was a great, competitive fight with a title on the line. but i cant rate it as the best ever, because we saw very little action on the ground. i personally enjoy a fight more when it exhibits all facets of mma.

Back