As a BJJ beginner, how long did it take before things "clicked?"

people go at different rates. I know people who got their blue belts under Rodrigo Lopes within a year because they were just fucking good at BJJ.

When it comes to things starting to click, I say about 3-9 months before things start really feeling natural.

good advice in this thread

it's definitely a roller coaster of good days and worse days

i know that I get too focused on "winning" and not always on how well I did or did not execute technique. it can be frustrating

I think I "got" all the basic, fundamental concepts and techniques of BJJ after about a year, at which point I had four stripes on my WB. That's about when I started to feel like my open guard retention and sweeps were becoming effective. Since then (been training 2.5 years now) I have only learned a handful of new techniques, I've mostly just been refining and improving on the ones I already know to make them more effective. At this point I feel like I have a pretty good idea of what I need to work on, and I know what I am supposed to do from almost any position, it just is going to take me several more years of mat time and repetitions to improve my balance, pressure, and timing before I can really say that everything has clicked.

here's my advice to make things click faster, pick badass that trains at your gym(one of the more senior students, a purple or a brown). make sure this guy really whoops you when you roll, and ask him a ton of questions. i've seen this work for a bunch of ppl. ask them what they should focus on, how they should go about training it etc.

for me, i didn't sub anyone for over a year. i only started subbing ppl and playing good posititionally when i started focusing on escapes... makes bjj more comfortable knowing you can escape.

This. I recall our teacher telling us that Roger Gracie pretty often gets caught in bad positions (i.e. someone's able to take his back for bit), but Roger stays cool. He knows there's an escape, so he's able to maintain composure and go for it. I would assume you'd be super comfortable trying out new things in training if you know you can escape no matter what.

Great post. And I appreciate your insight.
Thanks!
I'm at work so I can't type out a proper response just yet but the last few sentences that I bolded from that last paragraph are what I really needed to hear. There are situations/positions that I find myself in often and I think I really do need to obsess on them. I guess it makes sense to work hard on the weakest part of your game.
Yeah, my advice is don't worry about learning every technique your instructor throws at you. (Do write it down after class though, when you get home). Treat it like a buffet, you don't have to consume everything that's laid out for you. I think instructors tend to throw more techniques out there for a few reasons:
  • diversity in the class - more variety of attacks means more learning as you learn to defend against favorites of different people
  • attacks are flashy, newbies like subs for some reason, maybe this keeps membership dues coming in
  • If everyone in the class knew defense first, the class might end up being one big Arona-esque positional stalemate

But who cares, that's the instructor's concern, not yours. And if you get good and start winning competitions, you will be an asset to your club.

If you want to get better, you need to be utilizing the time you are rolling to practice solid technique and not making it up on the fly. This means first recognizing which positions you find yourself in most so that you are studying the techniques you will practice the most in class. As someone else here said, talk to the ass kickers in your class, pick their brains. When you get caught time and time again by someone, ask how they do it, and how they would counter that technique. Youtube. Instructionals. Books. All the resources at your disposal.

This is not just about escapes and survival, though they should be a first step. e.g. I'm pretty good at retaining closed guard and getting the collar grip, but had trouble finishing the cross choke. (e.g. I was finding myself in this position a lot.) It's a really technical technique, with a lot of detail that makes a difference between you destroying your forearms or getting a nice tap. I've spent months working on that in the guard, asking different people, getting advice. There are several details that make the difference between routinely pulling it off in class, and not.

Don't be afraid of asking to start out in a particular position, either. Most people won't, but who cares. If I get refused, who cares?

If your club has a syllabus, there will probably be other students who are mastering each part of it, advancing up the stripe rankings. Let them. FWIW, I'm still technically a white belt but it has been a year since my previous instructor said it was about time to get my blue. If I wanted it, I could probably get it in a very short time. I've been rolling for nearly 3 years, all up. I do well in competitions.

The best people I've rolled with seem to be the least concerned about what color their belt is. Look at George Sotiropoulos, for example. He was a purple belt and instructing class at the time, and is one of the few Australians who has been to ADCC. Other people who have been to ADCC and are only purple. Why? Because they only want to get really stinking good, and for them competition results >>>>>> belt, and class syllabus. And I'd rather get compliments from those sorts of people than any bit of cloth around my waist.

I guess it depends on what you want, but there is only so much time to train and you have to make a decision on what you should focus on. Good luck. If you want permission from some random guy on the internet as to what you can focus on during class, you have my permission. (I don't mean when you are practicing a technique, but in free rolling. If your instructor says work this guard pass or sub, work that guard pass or sub.)

ahhh yes... the dreaded drive home screaming about how you couldn't believe that you let so and so tap you all the while slamming the steering wheel only to realize the people wiating at the red light beside have been staring the whole time....

ahhh yes... the dreaded drive home screaming about how you couldn't believe that you let so and so tap you all the while slamming the steering wheel only to realize the people wiating at the red light beside have been staring the whole time....

whoa!

never took it quite that far

I usually learn from a very obvious mistake being correct in my game.

Sometimes it is a mistake I wasn't doing before but started doing it coz perhaps I thought it might work or something. Then someone comes along and says no, that's not how you do it, it it's fixed forever.

also on this topic, how long do you guys think it'd take a white belt to progress to a blue from 0 to 4 stripes then to blue IF...

he trains 5-7 days a week, an hour each day?

EDIT: just in case anyone is thinking of what im thinking...no, im not a sucker for belts. honestly, i could care less for belts...i just hope to learn something new everything i go for class. im asking because i seem to see quite a few discrepancies relating to belt/stripe promotions.

Last edited:
Back