Article on Japan's approach to gun control

Mods should move this to the WR

Japan is probably over there sitting there thinking we are weird as shit.

giant-gundam-robot-tokyo.jpg

Japan is probably over there sitting there thinking we are weird as shit.

giant-gundam-robot-tokyo.jpg

I have a buddy that just moved to Nagoya and he said it's crazy how much they try to act like Americans and idolize Americans.

Completely different society, from top to bottom. This is like....the gun control equivalent of MMAth lol.

Gun owners aren't going to listen to logic because they just don't want to give up their guns.

I'm all in favour for gun control laws, and I think the idea of performing physical and more importantly mental health checks needs to be implemented elsewhere.

Japan is not by any means the only country with really strict gun laws. Switzerland, Germany, Sweden and several others have really strict gun laws where you similarly have to pass physical and mental evaluations, gun safety and maintenance exams, have a legitimate reason for even wanting a gun, and have a gun locker just to get your permit and breaking those laws gets you REALLY stiff punishments. Not perfect, but those measures have done a LOT to curb gun violence in those countries.

Strict gun laws in Switzerland? Now that is news indeed.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_politics_in_Switzerland

This example has nothing to do with the context of the gun control debate in the United States.

Japan's standing military was disbanded post-WWII and they were occupied for some time by the U.S. military (which presumably also would've hypothetically defended them).

If your own government doesn't have military might, the need for the individual to have guns goes way down. However, they recently gigantically increased funding to their "self-defense force" which in turn may cause a rise in the necessity for individuals to be able to defend themselves.

Keep in mind also Japan's Emperor decided to pal up with Hitler in WWII and even opened his own Concentration Camps. If the US military hadn't devastatingly and overwhelmingly destroyed that regime, you'd see the Japanese people rightfully keeping themselves armed as well.

Completely different society, from top to bottom. This is like....the gun control equivalent of MMAth lol.

True. Basically the Japanese dont have the urge to show their arses the way many Murricans do.

Try the Singapore model... Owning 2 guns makes you a gun runner and you face the seath penalty. Discharge a firearm... Death penalty. Drugs... Death penalty. Jay walking... Nah, I think it's just a fine. The same as being naked in your own house.

Back