Article on Froch vs Groves II

wilddeuces

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Here's an excerpt from my article on their much anticipated rematch:

My Two Cents: Froch vs Groves II

froch-groves-2.jpg

Carl "The Cobra" Froch featured left, and "Saint" George Groves on the right (photo credit: www1.skysports.com)

An animosity undimmed by time will flare up in the ring on Saturday May 31st at Wembley Stadium when Carl "The Cobra" Froch (32-2, 23 KO's) and "Saint" George Groves (19-1, 15 KO's) lock horns for the IBF and WBA super middleweight titles a second time. Their first showdown in Manchester on November 23rd, 2013 proved to be an entertaining war, but it easily could have been a one-sided drubbing. Many questioned if George Groves belonged in the same ring as Carl Froch since the depth of talent on his resume was rather sparse. That wasn't the case, as Groves proved the doubters wrong and showed up in top form. He humbled the defending champion with a first round knockdown and was boxing his ears off for much of the fight. By round nine, however, The Cobra struck back and wouldn't let up. The referee interceded while Groves was still defending himself, and this stoppage drew the ire of many fans. A fight that impressive didn't deserve such an unceremonious stoppage, and the "what if's?" instantly began to circulate. The fans were acrimonious because people need closure, and as much as we hate to admit it, we crave it in our daily lives. In this respect, our world is no different from the world of sports. The unresolved, simply put, bothers us.

And so the IBF ordered a rematch.

You would be hard-pressed to find two boxers that have more reason to fight one another than these two men. In addition to the obligatory 'trash talking' and ego bruising that most boxers subject one another to prior to a fight, both are eager to pick up where they left off at the midway point of the ninth round. Everyone wants to know: who is the better man? The truth is that there can be only one (yes, that's a Highlander reference).

For the whole article, please visit my blog:

http://a-neutral-corner.blogspot.ca/2014/05/my-two-cents-froch-vs-groves-ii.html

Back