(Article) How to Effectively Take Notes Part 1

I guess a good way to bump this thread is to ask who actually takes note here?

I recently started taking notes after every class. Nothing too in depth, basically it goes over what we covered in class, and how I felt during the open roll. Namely, if I ran into any problems and what I need to do to address them. My notes are also riddled with questions. One of these days I'll hassle my instructor with them.

I haven't taken notes. I always think of how the rolling went for the day or two afterwards, especially if I noticed problems.

I have to take notes, primarily on the stuff I just couldn't figure. Used to have great spatial &three-dimensional thinking, but now I'm old and my brain can't wrap itself around a lot of the techniques that wrap themselves around myself and other players.

"Okay... arm goes here. Shift weight onto elbow, push..." I'm positively geriatric.

I use a very similar approach.
Ask myself the question, think through the answer, repeat.
My notes also have more impact when I'm working thru a specific problem rather than a hypothetical or technical question.

Thanks for the mini-article.

I take notes, but this should help. I generally only take notes on my weaknesses as well because it helps keep them in the front of my mind so that I can work at improving them.

I don't in the way mentioned above exactly.

I usually videotape my rolling sessions & upload them to a private YouTube channel. My training partners have access to it, & we comment/question each others (and our own) aspects of our game.

I used to take notes after every class of how to do each move I learned, but I stopped doing that when I realized it's not helping me remember anything.

I am going to try to do the question method you have suggested. Seems like a good move.

When I'm sitting in my car after class, I take about 5 minutes to rehash what went down into an iPhone voice memo. When I have time, I then transpose these memos to a private blog for easy searching of techniques. So by the time I get things in blog form, I went over the techniques three times: (1) taking the voice memo after class, (2) listening to the voice memo, and (3) transposing the voice memo into blog form. I feel like I'm not wasting class that way.

I ask people who were watching me roll what they thought too after I roll and in turn (if I'm allowed a break) try and tell them what I saw was effective or ineffective. It's been awhile though...

Great write up.

I find that by forcing myself to write notes, I improve simply by virtue of bringing each lesson to consciousness again (it's crazy how much of class can be forgotten afterwards!). By keeping my memory sharp, I can (remember) to drill specifics next time I train (which in turn helps my muscle memory).

I actually look at the last entry of my training log before I train, take something I've been having difficulty with (i.e. a pass) and then force myself to work it on in training.

I find that it really helps to have goals during training.

Back