Article: Do Certain Types of Sneakers Prevent Injuries?

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by DrBdan, Jul 22, 2010.

1. DrBdan

DrBdan Something clever

I came across this article about choosing the proper sneakers for running and how the traditional idea of motion control for over-pronators and soft shoes for under-pronators might not be correct.

Phys Ed: Do Certain Types of Sneakers Prevent Injuries? - Well Blog - NYTimes.com

2. scoopj

scoopj ackson

One more reason you can't trust the man.

3. DEVILsSON

DEVILsSON Black Belt

Great post, thanks.

4. miaou

miaou barely keeping it together

Thanks for the article. Interesting read.

5. oyaji poi

oyaji poi oyaji belt

i progressed to more and more "complicated" shoes with all sorts of inserts and everything to help with knee and back pain from walking and standing a lot. when i first switched from "arch support" shoes and boots (with insoles) to flat shoes and sandals, at first I had some knee pain. but after a week or so it went away and hasn't returned. the only time I get knee pain now is on really long, intense hikes where I wear hiking shoes with an arch support. the other day I walked 8km in sandals and had no problems whatsoever.

so, moral of the story: flat soled footwear ftw.

6. spiral

spiral Banned Banned

We've got a yearly physical examination at my place, were among other stuff we have to run 8km in less than 40mn in military fatigue and combat boots. These are rather crude, hard sole with no cushioning and no fancy gadgets. I never got any pain from them, but a lot of people complain it destroy knees and back.