Article: DAZN isn't the Netflix of sports. Stop describing it that way.

FrankieNYC

STUFF!
Platinum Member
Reaction score
https://awfulannouncing.com/netflix...-efforts-dazn-isnt-the-netflix-of-sports.html

DAZN isn't the Netflix of sports. Stop describing it that way.

But at the risk of having egg on my face in a few years, I think calling DAZN the Netflix of sports is ridiculous and is a comparison that no sports streaming service can ever live up to.

Sports are a different animal than the TV and film content that Netflix, Hulu, and Prime Video all traffic in. If you want to binge watch The Office or Daredevil or Breaking Bad or whatever show you can watch over and over again at 3 AM, it’s sitting there on Netflix waiting for you. If you’re awake at 3 AM and you open up your DAZN app, your options will be much more limited. Watching replays of sporting events isn’t the same as watching TV shows or movies for a second or third (or however many) time – there isn’t much you can take away from that, unless you’re trying to break down film or tactics.

And that’s what separates most sports streaming services from other media streaming services – their viewing windows are limited. I can turn on Netflix whenever I want and watch whenever I want. My original content window, barring stuff like ESPN+’s array of 30 for 30 films and daily/weekly studio shows and docuseries, on DAZN or another potential “Netflix of sports” is only open when a live event is on. If I’m looking to waste some time and watch something, and there’s not a live event on DAZN at the time, I’m not even going to think of turning to DAZN. The default option to watch something is Netflix or Hulu or Prime Video, and without a library of non-live events, it’s going to be incredibly difficult for DAZN to become the “Netflix of sports” if users aren’t automatically turning to the app when they have downtime.

-

I don't understand the point of the article. seems like the writer just needed an article.
but i thought it could open up decent dialogue.

So far it looks like their numbers are lower than hoped in US, but there is still a lot of time.
this is a long play

The point is that DAZN only gives you a short window of seven days to watch a live fight card or sporting event that you missed, then it disappears forever and you can't go back to watch it. In contrast UFC Fight Pass keeps a long term archive of previous content so if you want to watch a Titan FC or Glory SuperFight Series or Invicta FC fight card from weeks or months ago or old UFC fights from years ago you can. That's a big flaw in DAZN for combat sports fans along with a lack of other original content other than live fight cards.

To me it looks like Mr. FrankieESPN is at it again! :p

Haha.. just kidding. And the biggest problem DAZN has, is that stupidass name. I will never not call it Days Inn. Also, you can view the events for a whole week? Holy fuck, its the future!

To me it looks like Mr. FrankieESPN is at it again! :p

Haha.. just kidding. And the biggest problem DAZN has, is that stupidass name. I will never not call it Days Inn. Also, you can view the events for a whole week? Holy fuck, its the future!

So I don't mention ESPN & posted that it is way to premature to be coming down on DAZN & that is your reply?
Holy reading comp fail Batman

;)

It seems like a perfectly cromulent article. I don't keep up with DAZN, but it clearly isn't a Netflix for mma, if people were calling it that. I'm assuming the article is for noobs who don't really grok how paper views work.

It seems like a perfectly cromulent article. I don't keep up with DAZN, but it clearly isn't a Netflix for mma, if people were calling it that. I'm assuming the article is for noobs who don't really grok how paper views work.

Paper views?
lol

Also the article is stupid because there is no news whatsoever.
Just a cheap shot at DAZN.
Most likely due to the slow start stateside

Paper views?
lol

Also the article is stupid because there is no news whatsoever.
Just a cheap shot at DAZN.
Most likely due to the slow start stateside
RU7zZmI.gif

I've actually seen people legit spell it that way with no irony. MMA fans aren't exactly the sharpest tools in the shed....

The point is that DAZN only gives you a short window of seven days to watch a live fight card or sporting event that you missed, then it disappears forever and you can't go back to watch it. In contrast UFC Fight Pass keeps a long term archive of previous content so if you want to watch a Titan FC or Glory SuperFight Series or Invicta FC fight card from weeks or months ago or old UFC fights from years ago you can. That's a big flaw in DAZN for combat sports fans along with a lack of other original content other than live fight cards.

I know what you're saying but that's how most events are "consumed" anyway. If you can't watch it live, watch it when you can a few weeks later. By then it'll probably get uploaded free somewhere else if you want to watch it again. I don't even have DAZN but I get the model.

RU7zZmI.gif

I've actually seen people legit spell it that way with no irony. MMA fans aren't exactly the sharpest tools in the shed....

Scared?
At what?

You really don't make sense (or should I say cents?)

I thought the article was very clear cut. Doesn't even match up to Fight Pass IMO.

FP = Every UFC, PRIDE, Strikeforce, WEC, Elite XC, Affliction, etc event whenever.

DAZN = Like one Bellator event available for about a week.

DAZN not even close to GOAT MMA streaming service.

https://awfulannouncing.com/netflix...-efforts-dazn-isnt-the-netflix-of-sports.html

DAZN isn't the Netflix of sports. Stop describing it that way.

But at the risk of having egg on my face in a few years, I think calling DAZN the Netflix of sports is ridiculous and is a comparison that no sports streaming service can ever live up to.

Sports are a different animal than the TV and film content that Netflix, Hulu, and Prime Video all traffic in. If you want to binge watch The Office or Daredevil or Breaking Bad or whatever show you can watch over and over again at 3 AM, it’s sitting there on Netflix waiting for you. If you’re awake at 3 AM and you open up your DAZN app, your options will be much more limited. Watching replays of sporting events isn’t the same as watching TV shows or movies for a second or third (or however many) time – there isn’t much you can take away from that, unless you’re trying to break down film or tactics.

And that’s what separates most sports streaming services from other media streaming services – their viewing windows are limited. I can turn on Netflix whenever I want and watch whenever I want. My original content window, barring stuff like ESPN+’s array of 30 for 30 films and daily/weekly studio shows and docuseries, on DAZN or another potential “Netflix of sports” is only open when a live event is on. If I’m looking to waste some time and watch something, and there’s not a live event on DAZN at the time, I’m not even going to think of turning to DAZN. The default option to watch something is Netflix or Hulu or Prime Video, and without a library of non-live events, it’s going to be incredibly difficult for DAZN to become the “Netflix of sports” if users aren’t automatically turning to the app when they have downtime.

-

I don't understand the point of the article. seems like the writer just needed an article.
but i thought it could open up decent dialogue.

So far it looks like their numbers are lower than hoped in US, but there is still a lot of time.
this is a long play

Although the article could have used more comparative analysis, I think the author’s point was made. One of DAZN’s weaknesses is lack of a library; shoulder programming; and weekly studio shows (focusing on the platform’s major sport properties). Conversely, ESPN+ is generating significant content outside of live events that makes it more valuable to consumers.

I have never once in my life heard DAZN described as the Netflix of Sports. Well except for in this article.

I have never once in my life heard DAZN described as the Netflix of Sports. Well except for in this article.

That is the point.
The writer created a story out of nothing.
It isn't like they promised anything and did not deliver.

More like Netflix is the DAZN of movies and TV.

DAZN has now all major european soccer leauges and tournaments included in theyre flat (Champions Leauge, Premierleauge, Bundesliga, etc) which is really nice especially since these leauges are usually only in europe non ppv broadcasts. Which makes dazn a quasi monopoly of the biggest sports in the history of mankind and you get it for 9,99 + combat sports + tons of other sports and still 9,99 is just good so i dont get the problem of the author(sky charged 50+ bucks for 1 leauge in sd quality in southamerica, just saying) especially for the average joe outside of europe it doesnt get better price wise.

DAZN has now all major european soccer leauges and tournaments included in theyre flat (Champions Leauge, Premierleauge, Bundesliga, etc) which is really nice especially since these leauges are usually only in europe non ppv broadcasts. Which makes dazn a quasi monopoly of the biggest sports in the history of mankind and you get it for 9,99 + combat sports + tons of other sports and still 9,99 is just good so i dont get the problem of the author(sky charged 50+ bucks for 1 leauge in sd quality in southamerica, just saying) especially for the average joe outside of europe it doesnt get better price wise.

Each country is different.

I don't believe in the US we get all that soccer. In the US its very heavy on Combat sports side and that is about it. That market isn't very big in US compared to other major sports. Even something like NHL hockey in the US has almost 5 billion in yearly revenue but its a blip on most sports fans radar or even media attention. Combat sports even at the UFC level is under a billion in revenue yearly. Bellator level was only like 20 million yearly until the Dazn deal. So what they are currently selling to the US fan base is more or less very fringe sporting events that a majority of people don't follow or follow very loosely. Good luck getting them to pay you $10 a month.

That is the point.
The writer created a story out of nothing.
It isn't like they promised anything and did not deliver.
My guess is that the guy actually saw a comment in that vein, most likely on twitter, and got bristled by it.

Suddenly, that lone comment with like 3 retweets turned into a legion of DAZN zombies that are preaching about their subscription service being the new Netflix.

My guess is that the guy actually saw a comment in that vein, most likely on twitter, and got bristled by it.

Suddenly, that lone comment with like 3 retweets turned into a legion of DAZN zombies that are preaching about their subscription service being the new Netflix.

Most likely

Back