Arthrogenic Muscle Inhibition

Is this hyperbole? In your OP, AMI is described as a particular type of injury to the joint area causing the muscle to lose the ability to contract properly. I would love to see some statistics that support the idea that injuries to the joint are a significant proportion of injuries in general, let alone AMI being the single biggest factor in the maladies you describe above.

Sounds like we have an AMI junkie on our hands. I can relate though. I have gotten my hands on a few tidbits of esoteric knowledge that I just couldn't keep to myself, and so I went to various Internet chatboards to boast about said knowledge in the hopes that I would somehow win the Internet, or at least a portion thereof. Doesn't ever pan out though. You'll be gone soon.

ETA I would guess that blunt force trauma and atherosclerosis are both bigger factors than AMI.

I should have been more clear, I am talking about musculo-skeletal pain, dysfunction, and injury, inclusive of sports injury, but not inclusive of high velocity trauma like auto accidents. In my "thesis" I am not including other disease states like heart disease, etc.

One thing that I think you and others are not registering, I stated that I think AMI is the SINGLE BIGGEST FACTOR. That doesn't mean there aren't many other factors. By definition it means that all other factors combined dwarf the concequences of AMI. AMI could be a factor in 5% of pain, dysfunction, injury and still be the single biggest factor.

Again, by starting the sentance with "I think", it clearly states this is my OPINION. Logically there is one single biggest factor, it has to be something. My opinion based on the work that I do. I'm not stating that this is provable, or that any energy should be put into proving it. Of course, I could be wrong. Mostly I'm just interested in discussing AMI and its role in various problems.

One thing that I think you and others are not registering, I stated that I think AMI is the SINGLE BIGGEST FACTOR. That doesn't mean there aren't many other factors. By definition it means that all other factors combined dwarf the concequences of AMI. AMI could be a factor in 5% of pain, dysfunction, injury and still be the single biggest factor.

Oh no, I got that. It was a failure on your part to provide context, which you have now done. So thank you for your clarification.

BTW, it is incorrect to say that "by definition, all other factors combined dwarf... AMI..." In fact, AMI could be the single biggest factor at over 50%.

Oh no, I got that. It was a failure on your part to provide context, which you have now done. So thank you for your clarification.

BTW, it is incorrect to say that "by definition, all other factors combined dwarf... AMI..." In fact, AMI could be the single biggest factor at over 50%.

You're right.

Doesn't ever pan out though. You'll be gone soon.

My hypothesis about AMI may not pan out. I don't care.

Regarding "You'll be gone soon". Why be a douchebag? Because you attached yourself to dumb shit that didn't pan out, you assume I also attached myself to dumb shit. Maybe I'm a lot smarter than you. Maybe I've worked much harder at this than you have. I make $125 per hour cash, identifying and correcting AMI. I work on Pro/College athletes, Doctors, Athletic Trainers, and regular people. I'm not going anywhere.

And to the White Knights, notice that scoopj started shit with me, I'm just responding. Maybe in your world you like it when guys go Alpha on you, and you find it inappropriate to respond. I think it's appropriate that when someone pushes at me, I push back. So hold off on the "srs buziness", and "overreacting" bullshit. He wanted a reaction, he got one, no big deal.

Thanks for your response. Your use of "physio" makes me think you are from Canada, the UK, Australia? Maybe the rehab communities there concentrate much more on AMI than here in the US. Which might explain the different experiences that Miaou and I have in this area. In my experience in the US, medical professionals talk some about "inhibition" but do not use treatments which effectively address inhibition.

The sort of biofeedback you describe does work, but IN MY OPINION is inefficient because it's using voluntary effort to try to improve an involuntary neurological deficit. My opinion is based on working with clients who had been treated with this process and came to me still exhibiting significant AMI. Perhaps the biofeedback improved their activation levels, and maybe they were not treated for long enough. It sounds like you got good results, which is great. Sadly in my experience very few people get this treatment. Mostly the "strech and strengthen" routine.

The exception to this

So now miaou has fan boys??

man, seems like every body in this forum has fanboys now... when do I get mine? And When they come, make sure they bring fan girls with em.

To bias VM the client lies on their back, hip slightly abbucted, full plantarflexion, tibia internally rotated, with the main direction of isometric for going into hip external rotation. For the upper 1/3 of VM the hip and knee are bent with the foot at the level of the opposite knee. For middle 1/3 the foot is at the level of opposite mid-shin. For VMO the foot is at the level of opposite ankle. These positions very directly bias VM and drive simultaneous afferent/efferent communication between the VM and the CNS, which is what

man, seems like every body in this forum has fanboys now... when do I get mine? And When they come, make sure they bring fan girls with em.

miaou is dreamy and has solid knowledge. You need to work on your abs and your learning, then you can apply for your fanclub.

He doesn't sugarcoat his responses and people take his blunt attitude personally when really, it's just a case of him holding people to a high standard of academic and scientific verification. Keo, Eric Brown and others do the same. It's what makes F13 legit.

An endemic problem in S&C is people spouting off and hiding behind studies so it's important to be rigorous when checking people's facts. People come and post wanting to spark discussion and garner respect from forum members, as such they are emotionally involved in the discussion and react badly when the opinion they are expressing comes under scrutiny in a cold logical fashion.

My hypothesis about AMI may not pan out. I don't care.

Regarding "You'll be gone soon". Why be a douchebag? Because you attached yourself to dumb shit that didn't pan out, you assume I also attached myself to dumb shit. Maybe I'm a lot smarter than you. Maybe I've worked much harder at this than you have. I make $125 per hour cash, identifying and correcting AMI. I work on Pro/College athletes, Doctors, Athletic Trainers, and regular people. I'm not going anywhere.

And to the White Knights, notice that scoopj started shit with me, I'm just responding. Maybe in your world you like it when guys go Alpha on you, and you find it inappropriate to respond. I think it's appropriate that when someone pushes at me, I push back. So hold off on the "srs buziness", and "overreacting" bullshit. He wanted a reaction, he got one, no big deal.

By not panning out and you'll be gone soon, I was referring to you winning an argument and sticking around the subforum. It had nothing to do with the success of your inquiries into AMI.

If TS had presented this knowledge in a more tactful way this thread would not have produced the awesomeness that is has!

Ripskater: I think the issue is how information is presented and not whether we agree or disagree.

Had he arrived at a sports medicine conference and did what he did, he'd get far worse treatment.

Nahhh only three members have fan clubs. Well two. I'm not sure what you call Cratos'.

And TS, still waiting on some shoulder... or knee input. Preferably shoulder as it's going to hold me back more right now.

Nahhh only three members have fan clubs. Well two. I'm not sure what you call Cratos'.

And TS, still waiting on some shoulder... or knee input. Preferably shoulder as it's going to hold me back more right now.

Can you give me some details?

Also check your ROM bilaterally in the following 6 positions and tell me if you're limited one one side (i.e. asymmetrical). Rate the limitation: small, moderate, large.

For all, lying down face up. For some of these you need to be on a table or surface which allows your arm to descend below you.
1) Arm by side, bend elbow 90, check shoulder external rotation.
2) Arm abducted 90, bend elbow 90, check shoulder ER.
3) Arm abducted 90, bend elbow 90, check shoulder IR
4) Horizontal Adduction (arm across body) ELBOW STRAIGHT.
5) Flexion (arm overhead) ELBOW STRAIGHT)
6) Extension (arm by your side, then straight back, need to be at edge of table) ELBOW STRAIGHT.

Damn...well, looks like I"ve got a new, new years goal. :icon_lol:

If TS had presented this knowledge in a more tactful way this thread would not have produced the awesomeness that is has!

Ripskater: I think the issue is how information is presented and not whether we agree or disagree.

Had he arrived at a sports medicine conference and did what he did, he'd get far worse treatment.

Really, honestly, what the hell are you talking about? "If I presented this knowledge in a more tactful way"? I presented a small snippet of the AMI study, with a link, and ZERO personal statements. PLEASE tell me how this was not tactful? What should I have done differently?

Then, I exchanged 2 comments with Lat Flare, which included a statement that had 2 opinions:

"In my opinion the single biggest factor in loss of physical function, performance, strength, ROM, and biggest single causal factor in breakdown, injury, inability to recover from injury. Mostly ignored by the medical, fitness, s & c communities."

The first is clearly stated as "my opinion". I'm happy to defend or explain my position. Regarding the "sports medicine conference", I've presented to the Sports Med Orthopedic Surgeons at a Harvard Medical School Teaching Hospital (ranked top 5 by US News and Report). I stated that I think AMI is the single biggest factor in loss of physical function, etc. There was no negative response of any kind. Try again fanboy.

Miaou's response to that was: "This sentence doesn't make sense."
That's obnoxious. I GUARANTEE you that if Miaou went to a Sports Med conference and spoke like that, he would not get a good reception. Because it's obnoxious. He's trying to be Alpha, and show me who's boss.

You guys defend this as "He's very direct." "He's blunt." That statement is not direct, it's obnoxious. If he had said, "I don't understand what you mean." "Can you clarify this statement." "Explain." I would have happily obliged. But that's not what he did, he was combative. But still, I didn't push back at this point. I responded without combativeness.

BTW, the sentence doesn't make sense to...Miaou. Just because he doesn't understand my point doesn't not make my point wrong. The breach of decorum is Miaou's, but again you are so defensive of him, and protective of him, that you see what you want to see.

"Mostly ignored by the medical, fitness, s & c communities". This is an opinion based on my experience. If Miaou has a different opinion or experience, I am happy to discuss that. But Miaou doesn't want a discussion, he wants to be Alpha, so after 1 exchange he posts: " If whoever you asked about it has never heard of it then you need to associate yourself with less incompetent individuals." It's obnoxious. So after two posts of him going Alpha and being obnoxious and uneccesarily combative, I called him on it.

That's it. That's what happened. Then the fanboys jumped in and derailed the thread. So really, you're sticking to "you need to be more tactful". Show me where my analysis in this post is wrong. Show me where I was not tactful, where I started shit with someone.

WALL OF TEXT

K, fair enough. I get you. I read the article and honestly I don't have anything to say, beyond what I have already said in this thread, which was nothing alpha, I hope to God for your sake.

Miaou was interested in your opinion and how you arrived at it. And why you felt the way you did about healthcare professionals and the realtionship they have with AMI. You were pretty defensive right out of the gate.

K, fair enough. I get you. I read the article and honestly I don't have anything to say, beyond what I have already said in this thread, which was nothing alpha, I hope to God for your sake.

Miaou was interested in your opinion and how you arrived at it. And why you felt the way you did about healthcare professionals and the realtionship they have with AMI. You were pretty defensive right out of the gate.

That's just not true, I was not defensive. When people are obnoxious to me I push back. That's not defensive. Why is it OK for Miaou to push at me, but its not ok for me to push back at him? If that's not how you behave, if you don't care when people are obnoxious to you, that's your decision. I just detailed the whole incident. Where am I wrong?

You have a default position, which is to support Miaou. You're a fanboy, nothing alpha there.

That's just not true, I was not defensive. When people are obnoxious to me I push back. That's not defensive? Why is it OK for Miaou to push at me, but its not ok for me to push back at him? If that's not how you behave, if you don't care when people are obnoxious to you, that's your decision. I just detailed the whole incident. Where am I wrong?

You have a default position, which is to support Miaou. You're a fanbody, nothing alpha there.

Listen funk, Miaou is a respected member of this subforum and is intregal in ensuring this place stays a legitimate resource for S&C information. In other words; he questions the fools who waltz in here with **** in hand spouting out their "opinion." If you have something to contribute it better be available for scrutiny. We take pride in what we have accomplished here in the f13.

I was willing to give you the benfit of the doubt. What can I say I am a nice nurse. But you're being a fucking douchebag.

Everyone who has come here willing to learn and provide solid, scientific based information has found a fantastic place to grow stronger and better themselves as an athlete. Those who don't end up in the Heavies with Naudi!

Back