Arthritis and Guard Playing

G

greenocelot

Hi guys, I am not old, but when I play guard I always either play cross guard and open guard gripping the sleeves. After class I notice that my finger joints can become bulbous. Is there a way to play sleeve control guard without a heightened risk of arthritis in later years? Maybe pistol grips, etc?

I always thought pistol grips just gave the wrists more range of movement rather than the fingers...

I don't know what to say other than maybe consider more No Gi style controls if your fingers are having that much trouble

I have limited movement in my left hand and arthritis from a bad break and soft tissue damage. You shouldn't be squeezing your ass off, use a cat paw grip and let the hook of your hand do the work. Also, it makes it easier if you bar your forearm/wrist behind the leg for extra support.

Don't insist on holding your grips.

I'm sure you know the old adage about how you never want someone to open your closed guard on their terms. Instead, you feel that they are about to open and you open yourself, preemptively, on your terms.

It's the same with grips. If you feel that someone is about to break your grip, you shouldn't insist on keeping it until they break it on their terms. Instead, you transition to a different grip, or a different angle, or a different position.

I have this problem too (compounded by years of Judo), and while I still play spider guard I set it up differently. I basically never use the sleeve grips to establish control, I use them to maintain control after I've already broken posture, usually via a cross collar grip. Once the passer's posture is broken it requires a lot less effort to keep it broken.

I have this problem too (compounded by years of Judo), and while I still play spider guard I set it up differently. I basically never use the sleeve grips to establish control, I use them to maintain control after I've already broken posture, usually via a cross collar grip. Once the passer's posture is broken it requires a lot less effort to keep it broken.

That makes sense. When pulling guard, recently I have moved toward a Miyao style guard pull, focusing on opening the bottom of the lapel. Also I never really played spider guard, but I do play the two feet on hip and shins in the crooks of the elbows guard. I usually only have a problem with my fingers when I play cross guard, but I should not use such an iron grip.

Back