Army Sgt. Released by Taliban in exchange

Diamond Jim

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
Watching CNN right now and they are reporting the lone POW from Afghanistan has been released in an exchange for 5 detainees in Guantanamo Bay.

I'm glad he is free but I have questions on how he was captured. It appears he just walked away from his unit.

Anyone have issues with the exchange?

Great minds think alike. Posted this about the same time you did.

I have a lot of issues with the exchange.

I'm interested to know who they exchanged for him

Doesn't this just encourage more kidnappings?

Doesn't this just encourage more kidnappings?

Ding ding. I also find humor in the fact Obama refused to negotiate with republicans because they were " holding the economy hostage" but is willing to allow negotiations with actual terrorists who have a actual hostage.

Now that's leadership.

Watching CNN right now and they are reporting the lone POW from Afghanistan has been released in an exchange for 5 detainees in Guantanamo Bay.

I'm glad he is free but I have questions on how he was captured. It appears he just walked away from his unit.

Anyone have issues with the exchange?

I think Wikipedia says there are a few different stories floating around.

When I was stationed in Germany I talked to one of the main legal personnel (a Lieutenant Colonel) that handled the case. He stated that Bowe just walked off base with some Afghani police that he had become "friends" with. These police gave him away to the Taliban.

Why do you put friends in quotations? Do you think he was doing something illegal for money or that he was just a slacker?

Great minds think alike. Posted this about the same time you did.

I have a lot of issues with the exchange.

Are you still there or are you back already?
Whats are the issues you have with the exchange?

Why do you put friends in quotations? Do you think he was doing something illegal for money or that he was just a slacker?

Because he thought these police were his friends then the turned him over to the Taliban.

Nothing new. They were trying to cloroform guys on post while I was overseas 6 years ago. They would sneak up to posts and try to snatch guys. Happened once a month or so in my area of operations. Resulted in a couple dead marines and a couple dead insurgents.

We sent home a sniper (pig not hog) who tried to walk off TQ. It's a weird fucking place. Whatever he did was idiotic, but we needed to take him home. We probably planned on returning those guys anyhow. Might as well get a POW out of them.

Nothing new. They were trying to cloroform guys on post while I was overseas 6 years ago. They would sneak up to posts and try to snatch guys. Happened once a month or so in my area of operations. Resulted in a couple dead marines and a couple dead insurgents.

We sent home a sniper (pig not hog) who tried to walk off TQ. It's a weird fucking place. Whatever he did was idiotic, but we needed to take him home. We probably planned on returning those guys anyhow. Might as well get a POW out of them.

There was a bunch of funky stuff going on around Hab/TQ. End of my second tour they turned our AO over to the IP's and sent us back to Hab. Somebody to snuck on to Hab and planted an IED right there by that old Mosque.

Are you still there or are you back already?
Whats are the issues you have with the exchange?

I'm back. I was over there for the second half of 2013 and got back just before Christmas. Bergdahl's face was all over all the screen savers on every computer there. Here is what I posted in my thread on the issues I have with his exchange.

So this quote supposedly from someone who served with Bergdahl's unit has been floating around the comments sections of various news articles. Not sure on how good the source is but lays out a lot of what I had heard about the circumstances of his capture/dessertion. And why so many soldiers are adamantly against him.

Sorry for the wall of text but here it is.

"We were at OP Mest, Paktika Province, Afghanistan. It was a small outpost where B Co 1-501st INF (Airbone) ran operations out of, just an Infantry platoon and ANA counterparts there. The place was an Afghan graveyard. Bergdahl had been acting a little strange, telling people he wanted to "walk the earth" and kept a little journal talking about how he was meant for better things. No one thought anything about it. He was a little

Back