army combatives tourny Ft. Bliss

jamel

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Well last year I competed and got to my third match and got my ass handed to me. No excuses he was just much better then me.
I was thinking to myself during the tourny. after watching how tired alot of the guys were after their match and figure it was due to them trying for submissions throughout the whole match but to only become unsuccessful. Well I tested this theory out and in my first match I just went for points and, well what can I say I had the jitters of being in front of my family and so many other people I won 4 to 3. Second match I was a little more confident. And won 11 to 0 third match the guy used my own tactic and like I previously said he WHOOPT MY ASS for 5 minutes. But this time around I hope to be a little more prepared.
I have provided the list of rules and weight classes I made the mistake last year to go to the weigh-in with BDU's on which put my weight up to 176. I will not make that same mistake twice.

(1) Scoring: Points are awarded to establish good fight habits and emphasize the importance of dominant body position. It is important to remember that submission will end the fight regardless of the score.

3 points- Pass the Guard: From between his opponent

Nothing wrong with posting that here man. I'm a level 2 instructor, and the MACP got me started in MMA. Good luck to you, and let us know how you do.

Odd that they would ban "Picking up the opponents to pass the guard" in order to prevent slamming instead of just banning it directly.

Yeah I was a little shocked at the last tourney becasue the made us wear mouth piece and I found it to be a disadvantge because I had problem breathing with it in. Also if you want to get up on your feet you can only have one knee on the mat. Which was quite difficult.
I wish I knew other ways to pass the guard other then Pressing my elbow into the thigh and waiting for them to release and then hold thier leg down with my thigh. Or the one where it sets you up for the triangle choke if your not fast enough. But that's what the search funtions for.

Is all of your training from the Army Combatives program?

yes unfortunately it is went to benning for it.

Get to a BJJ school quick. Your guard passes me very sad. :'(

I hope to very soon cuz I would like to keep myself from looking like a flailing fool.

Are these Army Combatives tourneys pretty popular in the Army now? Do they happen alot or? Are they open to civilians?

how would i get started in the combatives program?
i wouldnt mind getting certified and being a instructor in it.

The Army Combatives program is only open to soldiers. Any soldier can go to a combatives tournament and compete (as far as I know). To get Level 1-4 certified, you have to go to the combatives school in Fort Benning, GA-- talk to your training NCO to look up dates in ATRRS. Also, keep in mind that Army Combatives is a boiled down version of BJJ (along with some striking) much like Krav Maga. Having done BJJ before Army Combatives, I can say that someone good in Army Combatives will get their ass seriously kicked by anyone with halfway decent BJJ training. That said, keep in mind that the Army Combatives program is not meant to be a whole new complete form of grappling or martial art system. It's meant to train soldiers who have no previous experience in grappling or hand-to-hand combat to engage, survive, and defeat the enemy using BJJ techniques.

The Army does a really poor job of passing the guard. If you want to win at the Army tournies, go to a proper BJJ class and you will be light years ahead of your peers. The majority of Army grapplers are wrestlers and they have a real hard time with putting their backs on the mat, so most of them will give up their backs pretty easily, especially when thrown or taken down. I know the guard pass you are talking about where you set yourself up to get triangle choked. The other Level 1 guy in my office was stupified when I put him in a triangle while he was trying to pass that way and wondered what was happening to him.

It's a good program, though, for what it's meant to do.

mxyzptlk said:
The Army Combatives program is only open to soldiers. Any soldier can go to a combatives tournament and compete (as far as I know). To get Level 1-4 certified, you have to go to the combatives school in Fort Benning, GA-- talk to your training NCO to look up dates in ATRRS. Also, keep in mind that Army Combatives is a boiled down version of BJJ (along with some striking) much like Krav Maga. Having done BJJ before Army Combatives, I can say that someone good in Army Combatives will get their ass seriously kicked by anyone with halfway decent BJJ training. That said, keep in mind that the Army Combatives program is not meant to be a whole new complete form of grappling or martial art system. It's meant to train soldiers who have no previous experience in grappling or hand-to-hand combat to engage, survive, and defeat the enemy using BJJ techniques.

The Army does a really poor job of passing the guard. If you want to win at the Army tournies, go to a proper BJJ class and you will be light years ahead of your peers. The majority of Army grapplers are wrestlers and they have a real hard time with putting their backs on the mat, so most of them will give up their backs pretty easily, especially when thrown or taken down. I know the guard pass you are talking about where you set yourself up to get triangle choked. The other Level 1 guy in my office was stupified when I put him in a triangle while he was trying to pass that way and wondered what was happening to him.

It's a good program, though, for what it's meant to do.

Sorry to have to correct you but some of the things you stated about the MAC program is incorrect.

The tournaments are only open to soldiers but anyone can attend the level 1-4 courses. Other services and civilians included. There are dozens of civilians around the country who have attended who are teaching soldiers today.

MACP is not in ATRRS. It is still a grassroots program taught at Benning with the instructors coming from the 11th Infantry Regiment not on anyones MTOE. Here is the link to sign up: Enrollment Form

MAC is not a boiled down version of BJJ. It is BJJ, Muay Thai, Boxing, Wrestling, and Kali stickfighting incorporated into one martial art with the purpose of producing more capable fighters on todays modern battlefield. BJJ makes up the core of the combatives program. For several reasons it is easy to learn and you can produce better fighters in a shorter period of time. As you progress you learn more advanced ground and standup fighting.

A person who does Army Combatives will only get his ass handed to him by a person studying BJJ if they are utilizing BJJ rules. If all things are equal, time training, experience, weight and strength and it is an anything goes fight I'll put my money on the soldier.

I agree 100% about the guard pass they teach at Benning. There are much more effective and safer guard passes.

I'm a level 2 plus I have been studying BJJ on and off for 2 years (between deployments). The issue is that you have to continue in the program to learn more advanced techniques. The level 2 and 3 courses introduce more advanced ground fighting and explain why the moves are done the way they are.

The thing you have to remember is that the Army is training soldiers not because they think each one will be faced with a hand to hand combat situation but because of the values that combatives training instills in soldiers. Personal courage, tenacity, aggression, mental toughness, and the ability to think clearly in a heated situation. The tournaments serve one purpose to encourage soldiers to train. The secondary purpose is actually having to engage in a hand to hand fight.

Here is a link to a video talking about the combatives programs: Video

I do army combatives and I think its a joke sometimes I guess it depends on the teacher because I posted on here before a column of wrestling vs jiu jitsu and Ive done 10 yrs wrestling and my instructor has done jiu jitsu for a while and also army combative and he would tell me wrestling is worthless against any form of jiu jitsu or combatives. I challenged him and it was an easy win for me. Im not sure what exactly there trying to teach with this combatives. If I wasnt in germany I would go to a real jiu jitsu school.

BulldogSIX said:
Sorry to have to correct you but some of the things you stated about the MAC program is incorrect.
Hooah. Thanks for the corrections. My apologies for putting out the bad poop.

I'm Just level 1.
But I feel confident in my ability to compete we have this dojo in el paso called Bushido.
I've heard alot of good things about them but justneed to get my lazy ass over there.
We had a tournament at Campbell before I left but I was outprocessing through out the "week of the eagles"
I remember when me and my battle were at benning for the training we were going through the part where we had to close the distance and achieve the clench. Well it was my battles turn and he went for the clench but didn't keep his hands up and he got popped pretty good his eye swelled up instantly. But he got the clench in the process.

thers a relson affilate in el paso isnt there?

any way, as a civilian i think i want to learn the program and teach it at some point for soldiers.
i am 2 hours from the base where i live, so it might be easy for me to get there some time

Forget about Bushido. If you're looking to actually train and learn, go to Hayashi's. Only place in El Paso that holds tournaments and participates in any we're invited to. Plus, our instructors don't quit matches when they're not even injured.

Back