Armbar injury....

DougK

White Belt
Reaction score
so about 5 weeks ago I get stuck in a armbar and as my arm was being extended, even before it was locked, I feel a rip at the top of my shoulder my opp lets go immediately. I have pain (felt like a cross between a cramp and a tearing feeling) extending out to the side and overhead... I can do it there is just pain.

I let it rest until a week ago. Strength is back but shoulder is still stiff and if I strech it I get a milder version of that same cramping/tearing feeling. I can do benchs rows all that pain free it is just with the arm overhead that there is a little discomfort.

Shoulder also snaps every so often no pain when it does just a loud snap. I don't have insurance and I'm quite sure nothing is broken. Anyone have any suggestions? esp anyone who has had a similar injury? I'm hoping this was just a muscle tear and the joint just needs to be loosened up to function right again.

Oh and if anyone was wondering about the form used in the armbar...nothing unusual...looked just like fedor/coleman 1....

most people just train with such injuries. I mean it is either off to the doctor, rest or train.

Sounds like a rotator cuff/labral tear, I have a similar problems from dislocating my shoulder boxing 8 years ago (aggravated the exact same way, some newbie tearing my arm off in an armbar I was giving to him, wtf). Obviously there's little you can do other than wait and see how it goes or go see a doctor/physiotherapist. In my experience physios are excellent for non-surgery treatment of shoulder injuries. And get health insurance, its crazy to do something like BJJ without it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Freddie556
Back