Armbar from Scarfhold

b0b

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Anyone use this or get caught in this very often? It is not a straight armbar. When you have someone in the Kesa, you take the arm you have trapped, and put your outside leg over thier forearm, push down, and it puts pressure on the elbow, just like a straight armbar.

I tend to get caught in this when trying to escape the scarfhold.

I dont use it much and havent been cuaght in it before..
I normaly go for the triangle or the americana from there. But i might try that more now that you brought my attention to it.

I know the one, but I rarely go for it and barely ever get caught in it. I give and receive the americana with the legs and stepping over for the triangle all the time, but I'm not a big fan of that elbow lock since they can often turn their arm to defend it or pull their arm out. I'm also not a big fan of kesa. Kezure kesa gatame is the way to go.

Never been caught in it, but I catch guys in it all the time. Coming from Judo to BJJ, I worked a lot on subs from pin positions. You can also get a keylock with the trapped arm in your legs.

I always get crap from my BJJ instructor about using kesa gatame, because you can get your back taken, but It hasn't happened to me yet.

Aesopian said:

That is the straight armlock variation. There is also another way to do it - when you do an americana on the uke's arm using your FRONT leg. If I remember correctly, Matt Hughes tried it on Jeramy Horn during their fixed ADCC match.
I never get the straight arm variation, but the americana / front leg variation is a good setup for other pins and moves.

I only get it if someone's defending the Americana and accidently straighten their arm.

The times it is done to me, I am just simply overpowered. They get a good grip on my skinny wrist, drive it down and lock it up.

There;s a variation of this Mario Reis showed me that should be in the user submitted techniques thread.

b0b said:
Anyone use this or get caught in this very often? It is not a straight armbar. When you have someone in the Kesa, you take the arm you have trapped, and put your outside leg over thier forearm, push down, and it puts pressure on the elbow, just like a straight armbar.

I tend to get caught in this when trying to escape the scarfhold.

I've been caught in that a couple of times. It's been a while though because I've learned to keep an eye on where my arm is better, which is the best advice for trying to prevent it.

I also usually only get it if they straighten the arm. The keylock/americana is much easier to get.

My favorite move from scarf hold is the arm bar while locking the controlled arm in your armpit, then swinging your low leg up over the face. It's very tight & they usually tap before you even put your hips into it. It takes good flexibility to get the leg up though.
http://www.bjj.org/techniques/jen/tech5b-2/

b0b said:
The times it is done to me, I am just simply overpowered. They get a good grip on my skinny wrist, drive it down and lock it up.
it's easy to get overpowered on bottom, because your one arm is against their arm and all their body weight if they brace their arm against themselves properly.

This is one of the moves that I always see as a set up but that occasionally works on its own. I generally go for it and use my opponents twisting of the arm to escape to set up the twisting arm lock under the leg.

I go for the keylock from there all the time and if it fails try to combo into that straight armlock.

I love Kesa, and pull that off on alot of people...I dont really know why, but it happens. Probly the only thing im really good at! :redface:

Yep thats one of my favorite combos right now, from hammerlock to straight armbar, if I dont get the straight armbar I still controll the arm with my legs and go for the choke shown in one of the links.

Back