Armbar Escapes

tequilaman said:
Both arms in (the guard) and even, or both arms out. Never isolate one arm unless it is protected by another limb, like a knee when standing.

Best advice I have heard so for, but does not help from side control or mount etc.

And hint of an armbar, pull your elbows out. Every position.

Yeah, the key is not letting it get straighten. I can usually feel when people are going for armbars and I let them try to take it.

When they get an armbar and I end up in the tradional armbar position (I am on my back guy is sitting up on his butt trying to get my arm) . This is my fav escape, I hold my other tricep, put it under his knee and teeter totter, the momentum should bring you to your knees, after that try to pull it out quickly if not just use your knee to get rid of his arm.

If im able to get on my knees or feet, I find that stacking works best.

Zankou said:
Too easy to get injured from armbars man ... once they're extended I just give up. Don't let them get extended is the key.
I tap the moment that they break my grip. However, it is like playing with fire. The moment my arm straightens up most guys release the hold. However, it is no fun rolling for 45 minutes and and every 3-5 minutes getting armbarred. It is like playing with fire. Eventually, somebody is going to pull off a Frank Mir on Tim Sylvia on me.

"I have bought manuals and spent thousands of dollars on private lessons but nothing seems to work"

Who the hell did you pay to "instruct" you?

Once your opponent has your arm don't let him extend himself. Go with your free arm around his neck and catch him there. Then you stay very close to him while you pull your other arm out and then you go to side mount.

If he gets your right arm, try staying parallel to his body... throw your left foot over his body, and roll over it, so instead of your arm being orthogonal to your body it should be under you, so he has to prevent you from pulling out instead of hyperextending it. And twist your arm the way that your palm is on his breast, so the joint doesnt get hyperextended. Use your feet to push urself away. If you actually DO pull out, you have north south/side control/a kneebar.

If you are getting caught in armbars all the time the main reason is probably body positioning. I know the only reason I will repeatedly tap someone with the same technique is if they continue to give it to me.

As far as escapes go, it depends on where they catch you from and how far they have already extended your arm. Generally to escape:

1. I find a good grip (figure 4, grabbing my lapel, etc.) which makes it difficult to extend the arm. I've found that often times if your grip is good enough, that alone can make them choose to transition to something else. Through out the rest of the escape maintain your grip and be sure you keep your elbow bent at an angle less than 90 degrees, and lock it that way. I find if I do that I don't have to work so hard with my hands and fingers.

2. Work to stack them. Find your way to your knees (if your not there already) and drive their knees to their nose. If they were attacking my left arm, for example, I stand on my left foot with my leg close to their back and my knee by their tail bone. I'm on my right knee with it as close to their left ear as possible.

3. Work to free the elbow (left side example again). To free the elbow continue to pressure strait down their knees to nose, while you twist your left arm out. It is extreemly important that you continue to maintain the less than 90 degree bend in the elbow while you twist out. The biggest mistake I see people make is straitening the elbow as they pull it out. Continue to twist until your elbow clears their crotch.

4. Be conscious where you leave your other arm to avoid the triangle, and work the pass.

Everyone's telling you good shit, now you just need to work on it. And if you're rolling so much with these purple belts who always get u in armbars, it'd be a good idea if you started to pay attention on how they're catching you. Escapes are awesome, but preventing the submission to begin with is even better. I'm hard to catch in armbars because I can see them coming (but of course you're gonna face those dudes who even when u can see them coming they're just really good at getting them). But you need to be able to see when the person is setting you up, and do everything you can to defend it. Anticipate their next move, and counter. That's why rolling really is like a chess game, there's a lot of shit that goes into it. But good luck man.

Immortal-BJJ said:
Everyone's telling you good shit, now you just need to work on it. And if you're rolling so much with these purple belts who always get u in armbars, it'd be a good idea if you started to pay attention on how they're catching you. Escapes are awesome, but preventing the submission to begin with is even better. I'm hard to catch in armbars because I can see them coming (but of course you're gonna face those dudes who even when u can see them coming they're just really good at getting them). But you need to be able to see when the person is setting you up, and do everything you can to defend it. Anticipate their next move, and counter. That's why rolling really is like a chess game, there's a lot of shit that goes into it. But good luck man.

The problem is not that these guys are better than I am. That has allready been established. It is that the Armbar is a nasty weapon that does not hurt that much at first but after bieng caught in it 3 or 4 times in a session it takes it's toll. Right now as I am typing my arm is swollen right where it bends. I have even not been able to work these past couple of days because of it. Heel hooks are not permitted while rolling and I can see why. But armbars seem to me to be just as crippling. What is frustrating is that I may see it coming and take appropriate measures but sooner or later I find myself in one.

There are some guys that say the same ol crap about not getting caught in one. That is like the only way to not get your heart broken is to never date anybody. Besides armbars are to JiuJitsu, Judo, and MMA as Slam Dunks are to basketball. So, I decided to make this post because I changed my strategy. Instead of avoiding getting caught to actually anticipate the armbar coming and capitalize on it. Just as you said this is like a chess game. I just hope my arms stand up to the pressure.

El Tiburon said:
The problem is not that these guys are better than I am. That has allready been established. It is that the Armbar is a nasty weapon that does not hurt that much at first but after bieng caught in it 3 or 4 times in a session it takes it's toll. Right now as I am typing my arm is swollen right where it bends. I have even not been able to work these past couple of days because of it. Heel hooks are not permitted while rolling and I can see why. But armbars seem to me to be just as crippling. What is frustrating is that I may see it coming and take appropriate measures but sooner or later I find myself in one.

There are some guys that say the same ol crap about not getting caught in one. That is like the only way to not get your heart broken is to never date anybody. Besides armbars are to JiuJitsu, Judo, and MMA as Slam Dunks are to basketball. So, I decided to make this post because I changed my strategy. Instead of avoiding getting caught to actually anticipate the armbar coming and capitalize on it. Just as you said this is like a chess game. I just hope my arms stand up to the pressure.

Well shit dude, it seems to me your rolling is going the way it should, you just need to tell your sparring partners not to pull your arm so hard, or tap quicker.

Immortal-BJJ said:
Well shit dude, it seems to me your rolling is going the way it should, you just need to tell your sparring partners not to pull your arm so hard, or tap quicker.
The moment I feel my grip is breaking I tap. It usually does not hurt until they extend it. Once extended I can only take a maximum of about 5 seconds under standard pressure. I see it as 5 seconds to attempt an escape or counter.

Here is what I have been working on so far. Just rolling around in the basement with my friends I have come to these conclusions.

1) If they have me in the armbar while they are on thier knees (example how Nog subbed Mirko) there is nothing that can be done.

2) If they get the armbar while on thier back there are two options.
a) try to stand up and hope they don't hook my leg then stack them
b) use my free arm to get thier leg off my face and move into thier guard

3) After about 5 seconds the pain does not get any greater. Sometimes I pannic and tap because I think my arm is going to snap when there is no danger of it happening.

4) I have seen this only one time. It was using the free arm to capture the leg that comes across the face and apply a heel hook. There are certain trick things that have to be done for this to be possible. They are that it is without the Gi and you have to have your arms well greased.

* if you look at how Tim Sylvia's arm broke you will notice his arm was at a wierd angle and it snapped the radius and ulna bones instead of at the elbow.

El Tiburon,
You've gotten 2 pages of advice. Respectively, now is the time to put up or shut up.

Soulfly said:
El Tiburon,
You've gotten 2 pages of advice. Respectively, now is the time to put up or shut up.
Tomorrow (Monday) I go back to the gym. Oh and by the way, thanks for your thoughtful insight and expertise on how to get out of the armbar.

Keep twisting your arm when caught, just keep on twisting it like crazy, it delays the armbar and makes them work harder. Gives you time to get in a better position.

El Tiburon said:
The moment I feel my grip is breaking I tap. It usually does not hurt until they extend it. Once extended I can only take a maximum of about 5 seconds under standard pressure. I see it as 5 seconds to attempt an escape or counter.

3) After about 5 seconds the pain does not get any greater. Sometimes I pannic and tap because I think my arm is going to snap when there is no danger of it happening.

Christ you are trying to fight an extended armbar for *five seconds* and you wonder why your arm is jacked up? You shouldn't fight an extended armbar for any seconds. Once it's extended and locked tight, just tap right away. You've already lost, pretending you haven't gotten caught isn't going to change anything.

You're damn lucky your elbow even functions at all.

Not keen on digging up old posts on injuries, But.. back then people keep mentioning that their tendon hurt most after repeated armbars. For me it is the Elbow joint itself, slightly nearer to the upper arm tho.

Any1 else's xperience's similar to mine?

Stay tight. Armbars usually occur from you extending your arm out. That gives a good person a lot of arm to grab and sink the hold in to.

I returned to practice today. I went to the day (Beginner) class to roll with the white and blue belts. As expected the blue belts went for the armbar constantly. I found that the stacking and wiggling technique worked best I still tapped often but eventually I will find a way out. Another progress report this Thursday when I roll with the dreaded purple belts.

Dude, fighting an extended armbar for 5 seconds is crazy! Once your arm is past the 90 degree mark I figure a fraction of a second to twist and roll out. If that doesn't work in that fraction of a second tap.

Back