Arm Triangle Rotation

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by lethalazn, Jul 6, 2010.

1. lethalazn Purple Belt

preferably behind you, with both hooks sunk in
    Let's say you have an Arm Triangle from Mount so you go to Sidemount and rotate to get that perpendicular angle

Problem is the guy keeps moving his legs to catch up so it's hard to get that perpendicular angle. How do I make sure it doesn't happen and/or what do I do if my opponent attempts it?

Thanks

2. HomerPlata Purple Belt

If you roll him up onto his side, as opposed to keeping him flat on his back, it's a done deal.

3. xMikeyX Purple Belt

1. where's your head?

2. where are your hips?

3. are you inhaling to finish or exhaling?

4. redaxe Silver Belt

He's on his back, you should be able to rotate much faster than he does. Especially if you turn him up onto his side a little, then he has to backpedal.

5. xMikeyX Purple Belt

http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f2/pe...snar-vs-shane-carwin-fight-breakdown-1261249/

Look at the 2nd post in this thread - says something about head positioning- but most importantly discover the answers for yourself for the questions I asked above.

I'd also add two more- do you use a grip to finish and if not then what is your free hand doing?

Are you disrupting your opponent's posture and if so with what limb/appendage/head/free hand?

6. lethalazn Purple Belt

preferably behind you, with both hooks sunk in
    Never thought of the turning him on his side so he has to backpedal part..thanks

BTW as for my head positioning..I use the ear to ear version

7. Tony Manifold Brown Belt

I have never had much success with that method of finishing the arm triangle. I either use it like a traditional kata gatame or I grab my bicep like a RNC. If that doesn't work, I sit through which usually gets the tap. Sitting through is kind of a neck crank as well.

8. bora y Purple Belt

i've been doing a choke really similar to the arm triangle, i've always thought it WAS an arm triangle variation, but it differes from how u guys finish it:
    - idon't triangle my hands, i just clasp them
    - i dont rotate i just squeeze and sink.
    is this still and arm triangle or does it have a different name

9. redaxe Silver Belt

Yeah, it's still an arm triangle whether you gable grip or s-grip or figure four grip. You don't have to rotate, but rotating helps push your opponent's arm down across his own neck to make the choke tighter. But it's the same choke. And yeah you gotta sink your hips low, cock on the ground.

10. Mike Wilson Jr. Amateur Fighter

^ COCK ON THE GROUND!

:D

Thats right baby!

11. loop_choke White Belt

That's funny, I always say 'dick in the dirt' vs 'cock in the ground'. No idea where that phrase came from, but it totally makes sense (although I get some weird looks when I say it in class).

12. lord k Purple Belt

Watch some vitor "shaolin" ribiero fight vids or highlights on youtube. He has awesome arm-triangles.