Arm Triangle from Guard in MMA

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by IceWolf, Aug 1, 2015.

1. IceWolf Orange Belt

I was working on arm triangles last night and thought to myself "With a closed guard and a wrist or two, shouldn't you be able to set these up in MMA just as well?"

You know, how you use your legs in conjunction with your hands on their wrists and pull them over your head to make them base, then move your head to the outside and lock up the Triangle from the bottom.

I was wondering why this isn't ever really seen in MMA? I realize the threat of getting punched or elbowed but I figured that if you could get a wrist or two, or maybe even an underhooks, that them trying to punch you would make it EASIER to throw them off balance because they would be doing it a little bit themselves by trying to strike.

Your thoughts?

2. biscuitsbrah Red Belt

Aljamain Sterling did this in his last fight against Takeya Mizugaki. You have to be strong to finish it. I can barely finish arm triangles from the top.

3. uchubaco Blue Belt

When I catch an Arm Triangle from guard, I usually use it to sweep and when I want to use it as a submission, I try to turn it into a crank and it seldom works...like biscuit said, you have to be crazy strong and also, have the right angle to do it fom guard.

4. [email protected]&WW Gold Belt

well its not terribly common in grappling either. it certainly works and i've used it, but to get a guys arm that far out of position isnt easy. really if you get there arm that far out of position, you can go for the sub, the back, or the sweep with quite a bit of ease, so everyone is aware of it.

5. BJJ_Rage Gold Belt

thats not because you are not strongenough, work on your technique man.

6. ijustwannasurf Brown Belt

You need to have more of an angle out to the side of the crossed arm in order to get a good squeeze. It's more like a no-gi ezekiel choke than an arm triangle at that point. You need your chest to backstop their arm; you can get the grip with your hips flat, but you won't keep it for long and a finish would be very rare.
    Drag the arm and get onto your side before threading your arm in. Also, I think sweeping and finishing the choke from the top is the way to go, especially when you're drilling the whole sequence.

7. Tebowned Boise Dime.

Same. I use it to take the back.

Also the sterling sub mentioned:
    [​IMG]

8. EndlessCritic Steel Belt

Eddy Ellis defeated Michaud with it on TUF 16.

Jeremy Horn infamously choked Liddell unconscious with it.

personally i like setting up the arm triangle from the half guard and using it to sweep.

9. [email protected]&WW Gold Belt

agree with most of that except about it being an ezekiel choke. its practically identical to a regular arm triangle.

10. ijustwannasurf Brown Belt

I'll explain more clearly. If your body is in the right position from the bottom, you will be more on your side than face to face. I was talking about the alignment of the grip; you're correct about the finish.

11. Drew Foster Silver Belt

There's some co fusion about the nogi Ezekiel. For folks that have watched Ryan Hall's arm triangles instructional, the nogi Ezekiel is basically an arm triangle from the back or arm-in RNC. You may have seen Braulio Estima tap Marcelo Garcia with it at adcc, or seen Keenan Cornelius use it in various nogi matches.

It's like the arm-in Ezekiel choke that's common off the leg drag, but since there's no sleeve, you grab your biceps and fall chest to their back. But yeah it is a type of arm triangle for sure.

I've also seen a "nogi Ezekiel" from mount with no arm in, but I've never been able to do it.

12. [email protected]&WW Gold Belt

that's what i think of when anyone mentions nogi ezekiel. never seen an arm in choke called an ezekiel before. tried to find footage of estima vs garcia but its harder to find than i would expect!

13. Drew Foster Silver Belt

14. gdjiujitsu Yellow Belt

Here is an example of Vitor "Shaolin" using the arm triangle set up from inside the closed guard (top though), then finishing in the half-guard.

https://youtu.be/_PtxmWTaX3g?t=5m26s (5:26)

15. Train.Harder Orange Belt

You may all go to hell, and I will go to Texas.
    Interesting stuff guys, thanks for those links. I wasn't aware of a no gi Ezekiel either.

16. SuperiorHands Purple Belt

I usually use it to immediately go for a sweep, it's not an easy sub to hit from bottom.

17. TeamKenpo Above all, training should be fun

I use this sub a lot for BJJ and nogi grappling and actually finish it at a fairly high percentage. However, when training MMA, I use it to sweep instead in order to avoid taking hard punches to the ribs while trying to finish the sub.