Arm Tassel in Muay Thai

can someone tell me what this yellow rope type thing is around the girl's neck?

l_062d3032008f6284a4d82af468845cf6.jpg

I am pretty sure that it is a ceremonial flower garland, given to the fighter to wear, to keep them safe, and bring good luck.

:icon_chee

pong malai, worn for luck and protection to.
family and friends will give before a fight.
they either buy them, my girl makes them.

i don't think the importance of the prajiad is fully understood by many people here.
it is worn with the full belief that its sanskrit inskriptions will protect us.
i have a friend who brother died in the ring and he believes it was because the monkong was left at home, i believe it to.
laugh at it if you will but dont were them if you dont want to, better not to wear something if you dont understand it or believe, like performing a wai khru when you dont understand the movements involved, it makes a mokery of the dance.
to us the traditions run deep and we absolutely believe that not following them can cost you.

Quite correct Payak. When I practice MT I respect the the beliefs and traditions of the art. Not only is it polite, but I have found I get better training from the old Thai coaches, becuase they want to see their traditions respected. And on a more selfish note, why would you want to turn down any extra bit of protection you can get in the ring?

my teacher has a statue in his honour in a bangkok museum.
was named greatest muay thai fighter of all time by the king of thailand.
is regarded as having the hardest kicks f any fighter ever.
had 7 stadium titles in a country where only stadium titles matter.
had 400 fights.
thats good enough for me..
but he has no certificate yet so i may get a new teacher.

My teacher only had 2 titles and fought for the King's entertainment twice, only had 114-2 record. At 61 he still moved like champ though and we had an other older fighter with 156-4 record come by occasionally to help teach.

No belts, not rank test, you just showed and work your butt off. To bad he had to return to Thailand to look after his father.

@Payak: Is living to 90 years old common in Thailand? Just curious as that was the age of my teacher's father.

i know same very old people over a hundred, but i also know many who die young also.
cancer is a problem, even worse car accidents, i will admit we cant drive.

i know same very old people over a hundred, but i also know many who die young also.
cancer is a problem, even worse car accidents, i will admit we cant drive.

Wow, breaking the 100 year mark is the U.S.A is still pretty hard to do. The Thai culture must be doing something right for long life

Back