Arm punching to slow someone down

viel cazzo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
So I've been reading and seeing during broadcasts people who say punching to the arms of a faster opponent will help null the speed advantage my question is if you're only envolved in a 4 round fight or so will it even matter? Is this a tactic only used by pro's who are fighting more then 4 rounds? Any info about this would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

lol..well you cant be picky bout your targets. so shit, if you can make contact with his arms, swing away.

I will be happy to just hit someone lol.. so Yeah np.. I was just wondering how effective it was in the shorter bouts. I know leg kicks are wonderful over the course of 15 mins but (I guess it depends on how hard you punch) How bad could punching the arms be in about the same time. I might have just answered my own question.

What about kicking the arms? I'm sure that'll work just as well if not better. Just watch out you don't catch an elbow to the shin or ankle.

Boxing is my sport right now.. so not allowed to kick. If you were able to kick I would think head or leg kick would slow someone right down :D

I like to kick to the arms sometimes. A lot of time with my leg kicks and kicks to the arm I try to feel out what the other guy is good with. Then attack his best weapon before really turning it up to go after him.

What about kicking the arms? I'm sure that'll work just as well if not better. Just watch out you don't catch an elbow to the shin or ankle.

You see Thai's do this a lot. Kick the arms, shoulders, to break down the guard.

probably a good technique for a longer fight. ive also heard this used for people who have a tight defense, you just cant hit 'em. punch the shit out of their defense, hurt thier arms and all of the sudden they cant hold them up any longer

Theres been people dropped in boxing matches from getting kicked in the shoulder. A solid hook the bicep while their arm is extended might mess someone up pretty good.

probably a good technique for a longer fight. ive also heard this used for people who have a tight defense, you just cant hit 'em. punch the shit out of their defense, hurt thier arms and all of the sudden they cant hold them up any longer

This is how I was taught to use the arm shots. I also believe it would only be good in a longer fight then a short fight unless you can hit the arm so hard it out right hurts them.

or if you're dirty enough, when he extends his jab, upper cut him under the elbow

If you can get away with repeatedly hitting the same spot (e.g. median nerve) then yes it has quite an effect. But just consider while you are going for the arms then he is going for your head.

Back