Arm Drag Flower Sweep Trouble Shooting

SummerStriker

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
I've always had a hard time with this technique.

My back is not particularly flexible and I am large. When I wedge myself under for this technique I find that I threaten the straight arm lock to the point that I don't feel safe.

It would be better if I could fold under the person more, but because I can't I tend to force them up off me a little. Even from there, I'm threatening the straight arm just by reaching under their leg.

Anyone have any advice?

When you stick your arm between their legs make sure you begin turning your thumb down as you rotate beneath them.

the thumb rotation bumps your own shoulder up creating space on an opponent sitting heavy.

Flower sweeps fail when the opponents weight is on the sweepers bicep.

If done properly you will load your opponent onto your upper body and not your arm leaving your opponent no choice to go any direction you choose to pivot.

When you stick your arm between their legs make sure you begin turning your thumb down as you rotate beneath them.

the thumb rotation bumps your own shoulder up creating space on an opponent sitting heavy.

If done properly you will load your opponent onto your upper body and not your arm leaving your opponent no choice to go any direction you choose to pivot.

Thanks, I can picture that. I use this sweep pretty often from an overhook guard and I wasn't sure where I was going wrong with this one. I bet you are on to me there.

Thank you

I don't understand your problem. Why is threatening the armbar a problem? Try to get the arm, if it's not working, scoop underneath the leg and sweep. And that's what I would call windmill or pendulum sweep. As I understand it, flower sweep is when you get a same side sleeve/same side pants grip and bump them over when they shift the base, by posting foot against the feet on the sleeve side grip and throwing the leg into the armpit on the other side

I've never seen that detail. Can't wait to try it.

Back