Arlovski has one of the best chin at HW right now.

You are well aware that fighters have different resistances to punishment. We've had this discussion before.

No two strikes ever land in the same way so how do you accurately measure (and then compare) resistance to punishment?

Name someone inside the top 10 with a record of knockouts that he hasn't fought.

Derrick Lewis, JDS, Volkov

Not saying Arlovski isn’t tough, but he’s recently been fighting guys that are 10-20 rank. Tuivasa is the highest ranked fighter Arlovski has fought in the past 2 years. I’ll give Arlovski props for surviving that fight (and nearly winning).

No two strikes ever land in the same way so how do you accurately measure (and then compare) resistance to punishment?
Watch Chuck Liddell get put out by a Tito Ortiz 1-2 and then tell me that the strike Tito threw that lands in the exact same spot with the exact same velocity would sleep Jon Jones.

You WERE right at the time. It’s not true anymore but it was at the time

Luke Rockhold is currently calling him so he can replicate his entire daily routine.

Some funny posts in this thread.

His chin hasn’t improved. If you put him in their with Miocic again, he’s taking another nap. As some posters have pointed out, the guys that Arlovski has been put away by are all hard punchers. It isn’t like those guys were putting Arlovski away with glancing punches, either. They landed bombs. He’s always had defensive holes to exploit.

It’s not that Arlovski hasn’t improved, though. Even at 87, he’s still trying to close those holes. Most of what I’m seeing is a mental improvement. It seems to me that today’s Arlovski is making better choices. Arlovski isn’t getting caught while retreating or while on his own attack as frequently as he did years back.

Case in point; the Rothwell fight from this weekend.

Arlovski got thumped a few times by rothwell but he stayed close and didn’t give rothwell a chance to get extended on that right hand. Rothwell changed tactics in the third round and added in the left hook that hurt Arlovski. Arlovski was actually trying to evade some of these strikes with movement/angles, but back in the day he would return fire and get further hurt or back out on a straight line with his chin exposed. His confidence in his ability to take a strike is actually helping him avoid the big shot a little better. He’s still leaving his hands down too much, though.

Arlovski almost always has a punchers chance, but generally the top of the line fighters have always got him before he gets them. It’s so hard not to get hit by elite guys and when an elite heavyweight lands, it’s going to do damage. If you have holes in your defense, you can’t take the punches those power guys throw.

It’s either that or the adamantium jaw he got after the rumble fight.

Last edited:
Watch Chuck Liddell get put out by a Tito Ortiz 1-2 and then tell me that the strike Tito threw that lands in the exact same spot with the exact same velocity would sleep Jon Jones.

You can't prove that it wouldn't.

You can't prove that it wouldn't.
But it is quite obvious when watching fights that certain fighters have much better chins than other fighters. Some fighters have horrid defense but they can still absorb shots that some other fighters can’t. Look at Diego Sanchez at the peak of his durability: amazing chin with non-existent defense. Very few fighters could survive a knee like this, and you’re kidding yourself if you say otherwise.

Do you think Jon Jones gets knocked out cold by that Tito Ortiz 1-2? Yes or no
I would bet all my savings that 2005 Chuck Liddell would eat that 1-2 without a single problem.

It’s not a coincidence that Chuck Liddell could eat all kinds of punches throughout the mid-2000s, but as soon as Rampage knocked him out, Chuck went on a KO loss streak getting put out consistently.

What about Fedor? Iron chin and amazing recovery in his prime, but now following years of accumulated damage he is getting finished by looping jabs and wobbled everytime he is hit. Is that just placement of punches getting the better of him?

It’s scientifically proven that after brain trauma (such as a KO loss) your brain’s threshold and ability to absorb trauma can decrease, and this means your ability to take a punch and remain conscious decreases. So certain fighters, especially if they have a history of knockout losses, simply cannot take the same kind of shots as other fighters, or the same kind of shots that they themselves used to be able to take.

aka - You've got no argument.

No I was just astounded by your ignorance. lol

There is obviously a difference in certain people’s susceptibility to getting knocked out compared to others.

Like by variance with facial, neck build.. etc...

Have you even watched mma or boxing for long? Seriously.

There are notoriously chinny boxers/fighters like Amir Khan vs. people like George Foreman, Mark Hunt, etc.. who show massive resilience.

Pretty much the entire MMA community was wrong about his chin, it's looking fantastic lately. 8 fights, 24 full rounds in a row without getting knocked out, impressive for a HW.

How come we were all wrong?
MMA fans are almost always wrong about chins. It's usually about bad defense and getting hit on the button. Arlovski has not been eating hard shots on the button nearly as much.

But it is quite obvious when watching fights that certain fighters have much better chins than other fighters...

No it's not "quite obvious".

Do you think Jon Jones gets knocked out cold by that Tito Ortiz 1-2? Yes or no

If Tito throws that 1-2 at Jon Jones the same way he threw it at Chuck, he'd hit Jones in the throat or collar bone, so probably not.

I would bet all my savings that 2005 Chuck Liddell would eat that 1-2 without a single problem.

Brave guy. Hypothetically placing all of his money on something that will never happen.

It’s not a coincidence that Chuck Liddell could eat all kinds of punches throughout the mid-2000s, but as soon as Rampage knocked him out, Chuck went on a KO loss streak getting put out consistently.

Show me these punches.

It’s scientifically proven that....

Show me the studies.

No I was just astounded by your ignorance. lol

There is obviously a difference in certain people’s susceptibility to getting knocked out compared to others.

Like by variance with facial, neck build.. etc...

Have you even watched mma or boxing for long? Seriously.

There are notoriously chinny boxers/fighters like Amir Khan vs. people like George Foreman, Mark Hunt, etc.. who show massive resilience.

"Massive resilience" doesn't mean anything when you can't compare the shots fighter A takes to the shots fighter B takes.

Sure there's physical variance, but show me where that proves a difference in resilience from individual to individual.

Accurate measurements? It would require a lot of physics and be way too much trouble to actually do. But you know different levels of chins exist, just like you know different levels of power exist. You know Rose Namajunas can't stand and bang with heavyweights the same way Stipe can. We've been over this before. Just go back and read those threads instead of making the same stupid argument years later.

Said it for years but whatever

The KO’s he received would have knocked out anyone
Not one of them was a ‘bad chin’ moment
They were all bad defence moments
He had some bad chin moments against Barnett.

Said it for years but whatever

The KO’s he received would have knocked out anyone
Not one of them was a ‘bad chin’ moment
They were all bad defence moments
Exactly!

This is often the case when someone is said to have a glass jaw when in reality they have only been stopped by shots they never saw coming that would have the same effect on almost anyone.

Accurate measurements? It would require a lot of physics and be way too much trouble to actually do. But you know different levels of chins exist, just like you know different levels of power exist. You know Rose Namajunas can't stand and bang with heavyweights the same way Stipe can. We've been over this before. Just go back and read those threads instead of making the same stupid argument years later.

We don't know, which is why people speculate and then make up ridiculous arguments based on their wacky speculations.

Using the Mir/Duffee fight as an example: Replace Mir with Rose for the KO punch. Does the KO still happen?

The definition changed. What was glass chin 2 decades ago is now considered normal chin. Glass chin has reached new level of glass as all the chinny fighters went to mma.

Let him rematch Ngannou and we'll see just how good that chin is
Everyone Francis knocks out doesn't have a glass chin. He can knock anyone unconscious glass or no glass.

No such thing as "chin". You either get hit with the right amount of force at the right time or you don't.

Watch Fedor’s old fights and compare to now.

Ffs watch the recent Ortiz vs Liddell. You’re blind if you don’t see what we are talking.

It’s called seeing something happen with your eyes. We don’t need scientific studies.

Last edited:
Back