Arlovski has one of the best chin at HW right now.

When its was glass, it was glass.

When its solid, its solid.

Ten years ago, Arlovski would get put to sleep with every hard shot that landed on his chin. But now its solid, taking hard shots nearly every fight.

I'd like to hear a scientific medical theory as to how this is possible.

USADA

I think it's a combination of better defensive skills and being less aggressive.

Arlovski got KTFO because he had a defense mistime or the guy was too powerful. To be honest anyone in HW can KTFO anyone.

No such thing as "chin". You either get hit with the right amount of force at the right time or you don't.

This has got to be one of the silliest posts I've ever seen.

Even if you just take one fighter and watching their ability to take a hard shot just disappear over time.

Arlovski got KTFO because he had a defense mistime or the guy was too powerful. To be honest anyone in HW can KTFO anyone.

I don't know why, but I feel like I've heard that somewhere before.

Let him rematch Ngannou and we'll see just how good that chin is

usa_today_10927385.0.jpg

WellmadePlayfulKinglet-size_restricted.gif

I wonder if his chin improved since his jaw broke and was healed or possibly metal plates inplanted?

Part of having a chin is not putting yourself in a bad position for it to be punched with maximum force. Even most people with epic chins can't take many bombs with full force. Much of what looks like it hits hard doesn't do so with full energy.

Personally, I think it’s when fighters become more defensive conscious and change their approach. They roll with shots better and don’t leave themselves as open for a full impact. It also has to do with the talent level of your opponent, because punch placement and timing are crucial.

I remember in boxing, Nigel Benn used to get dropped with almost anything. He started as a power puncher, who threw caution into the wind. He revamped his style and became more complete as he progressed through his career. Until finally people thought he had a great chin.
I agree with this sometimes the fighters labeled as having iron chins ( jon jones) hardly get hit clean and roll with shots well, defensively aware fighters are the reasons you have guys with 50 plus pro fights and haven’t been kod ( masvidal)

Different people certainly have different punch resistance, but you’re approach and ability to calmly see punches coming makes a huge difference

I always thought it was bad defense and a belief in his own power...lands a few good combos and the hands come down. When a hurt fighter is swinging for the fences, he seems to run into quite a few winging punches....
And at HW, it doesn't take much....(he's always been one of my favorite HW's)...

Let him rematch Ngannou and we'll see just how good that chin is
Not a fair statement. NOBODY could stand a direct hit from Ngannou, so AA still could have a good chin and get KO'd by this guy.:)

This has got to be one of the silliest posts I've ever seen.

Even if you just take one fighter and watching their ability to take a hard shot just disappear over time.

Explain Arlovski then?

There was a period of so many fights in a row where he got rocked or KOd. Then he fought BigFoot, took a bunch of "clean" shots that people say "should" have KOd him, but they didn't.

How does this "ability" work?

He does fine with non top 10 heavyweight fighters who have zero cardio, but he would be blown out in under 2 min by a Nagano or a DC

Glass chin at HW is suspect, in general.

It's not a big surprise when something with as much force as a HW can generate KO's a fighter.

As an extension, I never supported the glass chin Reem theory. When fighters like Ngannou, prime Liddell, Shogun, etc, score a KO, it's some of the heaviest hitters we've ever seen in MMA, and might not be necessarily attributable to a glass chin.

Reem gets rocked or put down by every hard shot that lands on his chin. It's absolutely weak.

Explain Arlovski then?

There was a period of so many fights in a row where he got rocked or KOd. Then he fought BigFoot, took a bunch of "clean" shots that people say "should" have KOd him, but they didn't.

How does this "ability" work?

You are well aware that fighters have different resistances to punishment. We've had this discussion before.

The first Bigfoot fight he was getting cracked and he was fine, and that was during his crazy losing streak so idk

Back