Arlovski has one of the best chin at HW right now.

Let's not ignore that last 30 seconds from the other night.

He looked in a bad way from a punch. Rothwell almost had him.

This is probably why he is proud (he didn't go out).

Still a fan but get some finishes Andrei.
I had to watch you lose decisions to Tim Sylvia
& to be totally honest, Werdum was besting him on the feet with open hand slaps.

The guys he is fighting are beyond slow and bumbling around winding up with big swings, thats UFC HW 2019 and thats why he is never getting even dropped anymore, let alone knocked out cold, because its the punch you don't see that gets you.

No such thing as "chin". You either get hit with the right amount of force at the right time or you don't.
“The right amount of force” is different for different people. Chins exist.

Don't care what anyone says...Andrei is a warrior. As a fan it's tough to watch sometimes, as you never know which guy's gonna show up. But, when confident Arlovski shows up, dude can beat anyone. That guy just doesn't always show up. But, he's a tough out for anyone at heavy.

Can nerves become less sensitive, or evolve and change their pathways so they illicit a different reaction when touched?

I done two years of biology at university and learned fucking nothing.

Personally, I think it’s when fighters become more defensive conscious and change their approach. They roll with shots better and don’t leave themselves as open for a full impact. It also has to do with the talent level of your opponent, because punch placement and timing are crucial.

I remember in boxing, Nigel Benn used to get dropped with almost anything. He started as a power puncher, who threw caution into the wind. He revamped his style and became more complete as he progressed through his career. Until finally people thought he had a great chin.

Neuroplasticity is well accepted. Neurons in the brain adapt over time, and nerves themselves can become sensitised. I've not read any research on susceptibility to knock-outs, but you might get some clues if you read up on central sensitisation in chronic pain.

I read years ago that they become sensitised, i'm just too lazy to reesearch if they can be desensitised in the same way, or if nerves can evolve to find new ways of reacting to stimulus.

Said it for years but whatever

The KO’s he received would have knocked out anyone
Not one of them was a ‘bad chin’ moment
They were all bad defence moments
Been saying the same thing as well for this whole time.

Glass chin at HW is suspect, in general.

It's not a big surprise when something with as much force as a HW can generate KO's a fighter.

As an extension, I never supported the glass chin Reem theory. When fighters like Ngannou, prime Liddell, Shogun, etc, score a KO, it's some of the heaviest hitters we've ever seen in MMA, and might not be necessarily attributable to a glass chin.
Agree on Reem too. Dude just leaves himself wide open, particularly on some of those ground and pound KO's he's received.
Leave yourself wide open at HW - say goodnight

Let him rematch Ngannou and we'll see just how good that chin is
Prime Chuck and Prime Hunt had goat chin, Ngannou would have slept both.

I see and predict a lot of old timers doing well in the UFC on ESPN.. but yeah that fight AA bless. Ben a small scared shadow of what he was on roids. And people act like roids don't matter. No more dancing or crazy octagon laughing madly interviews, he's a mouse now in comparison. And people don't think roids matter. Then you've never taken hormones before.

Said it for years but whatever

The KO’s he received would have knocked out anyone
Not one of them was a ‘bad chin’ moment
They were all bad defence moments

Arlovski glass jaw is one of the biggest myth in MMA history.
Ngannou hits probably the hardest in the world. Overeem and Miocic hits hard as well.
Kharitonov, Rogers, Fedor were KO artists.

Pitbull is not as fast as he used to be, but I can bet he's working so hard in the gym.

Arlovski may be the only fighter in human history to have hia chin become stronger as his KO losses racked up. Andrei bless

Mid air getting knocked out by a perfectly timed Fedor punch in Affliction..........that shit would have put anyone out.

What kind of alternate reality are we living in where a thread called "Arlovski has one of the best chins" could exist.
Pretty much the entire MMA community was wrong about his chin, it's looking fantastic lately. 8 fights, 24 full rounds in a row without getting knocked out, impressive for a HW.

How come we were all wrong?

Back