News Ariel shares new details about UFC competitor WFL

Sounds interesting. Curious to see who's involved and how it develops.

Curious what people think can be done to "revolutionize" MMA as a new promotion or set themselves apart from the UFC.

225 is a stupid weight class. This was the perfect fucking opportunity to introduce 165 and 175 and instead they go and add the most unnecessary weight division. Also remove the dumb 265 limit, it's HW ffs.
I have to imagine that this has to do with removing the weigh cutting so 225 would be all the LHWs fighting at their fight night weight. 205 would be the Middleweights and so on and on

Cuckwani is all over this crap.
I'm more interested in knowing who the owners are as that will show how well this organization succeeds.
They'll need to spend a ton if they're to attract top talent.
Probably the top camps like ATT, AKA, etc. will send their lower level fighters to check the waters there.

Doesn't sound nearly as exciting as I thought. But you never know.

1. * The organization will launch initially with 8 mens weight classes (135, 145, 155, 170, 185, 205, 225, 265).

2. *Team owners will vote on when female divisions will joining.

3. * Amongst the many current issues that the WFL will aim to remedy is extreme weight cutting.

4. * Each team will compete in six regular season competitions alternating between home and away events with four weeks between regular season competitions and five weeks between playoff competitions.

5. * Each event will have eight fights, one bout at each weight class between a home team athlete vs. away team athlete.

6. * Every fight will have a total of four points available (four points for a finish win, three points for a decision win, two points for a draw, one point for a decision loss, zero points for finish loss).

7. * Highest team total wins the league championship, however, the individual weight-class results determines who advances to the playoffs and their respective seeding.
  8. * I am told WFL officials have been meeting with a lot of prospective owners lately. Potentially, some recognizable faces to MMA fans will be attached.
https://arielhelwani.substack.com/p/max-holloway-vs-yair-rodrguez-doesnt

MMA isn’t a team sport, I hate it when they make it these league things.
Secondly, 205 and 265 are the thinnest divisions why have a stop gap in between them? It’s more sense to thin out between lightweight and welterweight

Maybe we can have a champion who can hold both a UFC belt and a WFL belt at once. I like the multi promotion element in boxing, it lends to better business competition.
except UFC will never do that

I am curious how they going remedy the extreme weight cutting? I would think adding more weight class around 145 to 170 would be a good way to slow down the extreme weight cutting issues

..... The format is not much like the PFL.

It's much more like the defunct IFL. Ben Rothwell and Roy Nelson fought in it.

never forget the insane guillotine Dan Miller hit way back in the IFL days. truly looked like a dude's neck had snapped

hqdefault.jpg

Stupid idea that's been done already. Stupid "corporation" who didn't learn from history. Stupid investors who didn't do their homework.

This is doomed to fail miserably.

Stupid. They should at least do what the UFC refuses to do - have a 165 and 175 division, and get rid of 170.
Yea. I still think 225 is a waste of time

I really hate this format. And 225 is only interesting if you can magically create more large fighters. Are we trying to solve the "Brock Lesnar problem" years after he retired?

Back