News Ariel shares new details about UFC competitor WFL

UFC “competitors”. That seems like a stretch for a company that doesn’t even exist. I honestly don’t care. I heard about the “teams”, and “divisions”, and they totally lost me at that point. It’s an individual sport. Not interested.

Kind of has a Community Center Dodgeball sign up feel to it.

Need to know the Prize Money involved and other incentives for fighters -- healthcare, retirement schemes, personal sponsors, promotions, rule enforcement, etc

Isn’t this what the IFL did?

It’s a fun idea in theory, but not so much in practice
IFL was fun. MMA wasn't close to mainstream yet and they were like one of six MMA orgs at the time trying to put on televised events, they went bankrupt like most of the others.

useless. complete nonsense. just a money grab.

Guaranteed to fail . The seasonal model with points does not work well for MMA and is annoying to try and keep up with when theres fights every week from multiple orgs .All the UFC content alone is hard to keep up with sometimes .
They should consult with average fight fans, these guys dont know how to get mass appeal.

Terrible idea that has been done before (IFL). There is no room for team. Is the ATT team going to fight the Jack.Wink team? I cant see Miami fighting Chicago. How would you get a 'team' to train together otherwise?

Really can't figure out what's going on here. Is it just a vanity project for some rich people who want to say they're supporting the sport, which a potential chance of endless riches?

In any event, 99% it goes defunct within a few years.

1. * The organization will launch initially with 8 mens weight classes (135, 145, 155, 170, 185, 205, 225, 265).

2. *Team owners will vote on when female divisions will joining.

3. * Amongst the many current issues that the WFL will aim to remedy is extreme weight cutting.

4. * Each team will compete in six regular season competitions alternating between home and away events with four weeks between regular season competitions and five weeks between playoff competitions.

5. * Each event will have eight fights, one bout at each weight class between a home team athlete vs. away team athlete.

6. * Every fight will have a total of four points available (four points for a finish win, three points for a decision win, two points for a draw, one point for a decision loss, zero points for finish loss).

7. * Highest team total wins the league championship, however, the individual weight-class results determines who advances to the playoffs and their respective seeding.
  8. * I am told WFL officials have been meeting with a lot of prospective owners lately. Potentially, some recognizable faces to MMA fans will be attached.
https://arielhelwani.substack.com/p/max-holloway-vs-yair-rodrguez-doesnt

Stupid. They should at least do what the UFC refuses to do - have a 165 and 175 division, and get rid of 170.

I was going to post that ...agree.

They should call themselves "YouFC" so that casuals can mistakenly buy it <BC1>

Let’s see how this turns out 5-6 yrs from now. Alotta work gonna have to go in into it.

I liked the IFL, but I don't see this being a successful concept <Fedor23>

Wow cool story

michael-keaton.gif

..... The format is not much like the PFL.

It's much more like the defunct IFL. Ben Rothwell and Roy Nelson fought in it.
IFL, a little before my time. Either way what an incredible disappointment. I lost any interest in the org.

IFL, a little before my time. Either way what an incredible disappointment. I lost any interest in the org.
Yeah I'm super disappointed. Was hoping it would be a gamechanger. It won't be.

Back