Ariel on his relationship with Dana

you think most who cover other sports are experts in techniques?

if you want technique listen to the experts, not the journalist.
I prefer if they are, Luke Thomas is amongst others... if you could combine Ariel and Luke Thomas they would create a great journalist

In other sports, I prefer listening to people who have either played or studied the technique of the sport

That's not uncommon

I actually like watching Ariel since he started. That said, breaking the news of Brock early for UFC 200 was burning out his sources. It makes sense for Dana to be mad because that was huge news. Had Ariel found it leaked from mma fighters rather than UFC officials, I don't think Dana would be mad.

The fact that his effort to repair the relationship was sending a text is all you need to know.

To side with a weasel or a bully. I'd go with the weasel, but it's not a win either way.

I prefer if they are, Luke Thomas is amongst others... if you could combine Ariel and Luke Thomas they would create a great journalist

In other sports, I prefer listening to people who have either played or studied the technique of the sport

That's not uncommon
they are the color commentators. most of the reporters have no real background. ariel does a show with dc. listen to dc if you want a fighters perspective.

for the ufc shows they have plenty of representation from fighters for analysis.

they are the color commentators. most of the reporters have no real background. ariel does a show with dc. listen to dc if you want a fighters perspective.

for the ufc shows they have plenty of representation from fighters for analysis.
luke-thomas-1568796242.png

Ok, so you prefer Luke.

That doesn’t really change what ariel’s job is, particularly for ESPN.
What's annoying is I dislike a lot of things about Luke, but I like the fact that he actually took time to train considering he's dedicating his life to covering MMA

If people with regular jobs can get a blue belt, so can Ariel and all the other "journalists"

Cliffs:
Says he has a non-existent relationship with Dana.
Says he was 'supremely close' to Dana at one point.
Doesn't text or interact with Dana at all.
Says that not talking to Dana doesn't bother him. Says that if you are telling it like it is, your relationship will always be positive.
Says he gets uncomfortable if Dana messes with his life/when it gets personal.
Tries his hardest to not be biased, says sometimes it is difficult.
Says that when Dana is pissed, he lets you know.
Hasn't talked to him since UFC 199.
Says someone at ESPN nudged him to get his relationship with Dana sorted out and Ariel sent a text, and Dana never replied.
Says he can make a very strong case that the olive branch should be reached out to HIM. From Dana. As he lost money due to Dana's decisions.

didn't this all get out of control because Ariel spoiled Brock's return then Brock got roided up and laid on Mark Hunt for 15 mins. smh.

What's annoying is I dislike a lot of things about Luke, but I like the fact that he actually took time to train considering he's dedicating his life to covering MMA

If people with regular jobs can get a blue belt, so can Ariel and all the other "journalists"
I’m not going to debate you on the merits of training. I agree it helps with perspective. But most reporters aren’t experts AT the sport they are covering. And he does see what these guys put themselves through. And has covered the sport for a long time. Again, I don’t know what we want these guys covering the sport to be. I’m not going to Luke Thomas either for the intricacies of fighting. And that’s not ariel’s job.

I’m not going to debate you on the merits of training. I agree it helps with perspective. But most reporters aren’t experts AT the sport they are covering. And he does see what these guys put themselves through. And has covered the sport for a long time. Again, I don’t know what we want these guys covering the sport to be. I’m not going to Luke Thomas either for the intricacies of fighting. And that’s not ariel’s job.
I want them to have a basic understanding of what's actually happening

If you've never trained, MMA just looks totally different, it's impossible to understand what's going on, and it's very possible to put in 2 years of training to get a base understanding

I think Ariel would be better as an interviewer if he had this perspective, are you disagreeing with that?

Dana can't stand having nothing but hand-picked stooges in the media to lick bread-crumbs off his fingers and ask nothing but softball questions that make the UFC look good (as hard as that is).

To be fair that's what a lot of beat reporters (especially here on the west coast) are like for most sports. They never ask any tough questions b/c they don't want to make anyone look bad or hurt feelings. I mean most of the guys who write about the Patriots are scared shitless of Bill Belichick.

they say we have bad judges we have even worse journalists

some good ones not known but all known onces r known douchebags like ariel been following sport hes always been a douchebag him leaking brock news when dana basically got him job he a snake didnt spoil it for me tho cuz i dont follow his dumb twitter lol not like care anyway but he very rude to fighters acts like hes above them almost sad ESPN even gave this asshole a job

I want them to have a basic understanding of what's actually happening

If you've never trained, MMA just looks totally different, it's impossible to understand what's going on, and it's very possible to put in 2 years of training to get a base understanding

I think Ariel would be better as an interviewer if he had this perspective, are you disagreeing with that?
I don’t think it’s impossible to understand. Anik, Goldberg, Mauro aren’t trained and they call fights. Most boxing announcers weren’t boxers, but rely on the color guy to give more detailed insight. I agree its a PLUS, and it does improve perspective, but it’s not a prerequisite and not the most important criteria. Again, most of what he’s reporting on isn’t about techniques in a fight. And he’s got DC for their show.

That said, I don’t pay a lot of attention to him. I just find the reactions a bit over the top to him. People seem to think reporting on mma should be undercover expose’s and breaking stories. It’s sorta crazy to me.

Back