Media Ariel Helwani moves to NBA. Will debute in broadcast team-regular season this Friday

I don't think it's anything permanent to rave about, I just watched this and he just said that they've allowed him to do some things which is a dream for him as alongside MMA he's also been a big NBA fan.

Good on the dude and yes he still does know a lot about MMA and is passionate about it, whenever you watch his show he always brings up things with the guests which show he knows his stuff and follows the sport also.

He's just doing more things that he wants to do and good on him.

Just said it on MMA Show.

but he promises to stay with MMA.

I know nothing about basketball btw.

he can do both. marty smith when he started at espn covers nascar and horse racing now he huge with ncaa football.

Fuck that chump he doesnt even like mma

I've stuck up for Helwani in the past though lately I've soured on him for being a corporate/Conor shill. Regardless, I never understood the notion that he is not a MMA fan.

One does not work in MMA media for well over a decade starting at a lowly one hour podcast years before the UFC was even on Fox AND not be a fan of the sport. You don't stick with it all this time and not like MMA.

So he likes basketball? So what? Monogamy does not apply in sports. You can like more than one sport.

And even if he leaves MMA behind and goes all in on basketball, that does not mean he is/was not a MMA fan. You don't have to work in MMA media to be a MMA fan. If that were the case, 99.9% of us would not be considered fans.

He will be a little fish in a big pond. He will come home to roost

Not only is he an unknown personality in the NBA, I doubt he has the sort of in depth knowledge to fill a broadcast with commentary. I could be wrong - I know nothing about him other than that he's boring as shit to listen to as an MMA panelist.

I remember when they gave Goldberg a shot at calling a Lions game. One and done, and he was booed right back to MMA. Felt bad for the guy.

And yet, he just won his 9th mma journalist of the year award. Try again hater
You know there's like 5 of them right? Who are they going to choose, Luke Thomas?
Let's see if your boy keeps reporting on mma a lot longer.

He's with the big timers. Jeff Van gundy. This gives his haters something more to cry about. He'll leave MMA soon enough
Why would they cry about that it means he’ll be around mma less?

I've stuck up for Helwani in the past though lately I've soured on him for being a corporate/Conor shill. Regardless, I never understood the notion that he is not a MMA fan.

One does not work in MMA media for well over a decade starting at a lowly one hour podcast years before the UFC was even on Fox AND not be a fan of the sport. You don't stick with it all this time and not like MMA.

So he likes basketball? So what? Monogamy does not apply in sports. You can like more than one sport.

And even if he leaves MMA behind and goes all in on basketball, that does not mean he is/was not a MMA fan. You don't have to work in MMA media to be a MMA fan. If that were the case, 99.9% of us would not be considered fans.

Have you ever listened to one of his interviews? All he is interested in is fighters haircuts and pets. He's totally phoning it in

He started realising that there was a new rising sport and so he had a chance to become its premier journalist. People dont do their jobs because they love them, they do them to earn a living

I say again he doesnt care about fights, I'd be surprised if he actually watches them

I doubt he'll last covering the NBA though. He's legitimately shitty at anything other than shit-stirring, his voice and delivery are pretty bad, and he's annoying and inherently unlikable.

as much as some may not admit, he'll be missed in mma. he was a weasel, and an instigator, and pissed off lots of fighters, but he asked the brave questions that we all wanted answers to. lots of the current mma media kisses fighters' asses. we'll see if someone else will be able to fill his shoes, and nose lol.

Better sideline reporter than some of those fruitcakes they have like Izraeal Gutierrez, and that really tall black chick.

Doris Burke For the win though

His style won’t work for the NBA, fans at home aren’t looking for drama, they don’t want to see a little weasel try to get a negative reaction out of players which is his entire career, not sure what else he’s gonna do

He's with the big timers. Jeff Van gundy. This gives his haters something more to cry about. He'll leave MMA soon enough
God gundy is the worst commentator in sports history.he makes the worst ufc ones look good.

as much as some may not admit, he'll be missed in mma. he was a weasel, and an instigator, and pissed off lots of fighters, but he asked the brave questions that we all wanted answers to. lots of the current mma media kisses fighters' asses. we'll see if someone else will be able to fill his shoes, and nose lol.
oh yea he was so brave in the conor interview. goof

<36>

Smart, honestly. It's not like the UFC brand is skyrocketing and MMA isn't exactly getting more popular.

Have you ever listened to one of his interviews? All he is interested in is fighters haircuts and pets. He's totally phoning it in

He started realising that there was a new rising sport and so he had a chance to become its premier journalist. People dont do their jobs because they love them, they do them to earn a living

I say again he doesnt care about fights, I'd be surprised if he actually watches them

I rarely listen to Helwani since he moved to ESPN. Maybe he is phoning it in now in 2019, I don't know. But before he was a workhorse. Doing two shows a week, going to practically every event around the world. And it's not like MMAFighting money was lucrative. If it was all about the money and gimmicks, he could have gone into pro-wrestling instead (which he actually loved back in the day). It would have been a perfect fit. But he stopped liking pro-wrestling so he never got involved.

Remember Aaron Tru? Where the hell is he now? What about Sherdog himself? AFAIK they are no longer involved in MMA media. Were they are not true fans to begin with?

So Jeff Sherwood is still a fan even though he quit but Ariel, who still covers MMA to this day and going forward, is not a fan?

Maybe he'll get sick of MMA one day but to say he was never a fan at all is illogical.

I cant imagine him doing anything else but mma but I wish him luck.

not really I cant stand him and but wishing for another mans failure isnt my self.

jk again. hope he fails and does strictly mma. cant stand him but I dont like change and need him or ill feel old

What a rollercoaster. I need a nap.

Back