Ariel Helwani Goes Full Woke

Kinda funny since Helwani poikes and prods the fighters trying to get them to say shit about other fighters...

The concept of sport is competitive, it’s also consensual. It’s not indecent to participate in mutually agreed combat. There’s nuance to things, you simpleton. You can go watch WWE if you wanna go watch theatre under the guise of masculinity. People who are into trash talk live vicariously through others it’s pathetic.
So did they mutually agree to trash talk?

Ariel's comments aren't woke. I think he's just speaking for basic decency and sportsmanship.

That said, I'm okay with the fighters saying anything about their opponents leading up to a fight. Colby Covington has his shtick, Israel Adesanya has his, Tyron Woodley, etc. One of the great features of this sport is that you can have so many big personalities, and we as fans can gravitate to the ones we like. Short of calling for overt violence OUTSIDE of the Octagon, I think anything goes. However, the UFC need to do a better job of maintaining consistency on who they punish for what gets said. Double standards cause a lot more problems than someone just being mean.

Back