Argentina's boxer Hugo Santillan dies from damage suffered in his fight last weekend

I gotta say, I don't really recommend watching that video in the OP .
Too late... Abreu keeps looking over too towards the end while waiting and you can almost tell he thinks something is wrong too.

I dont think so, social media and 24/7 news are making them more relevant which is good, it will make more organizers aware and better prepared.

An average of 11 boxing deaths occur every year, some would say it isnt an all that high number.

I’m quite shocked that it’s that many

Does weight cutting have an impact on the higher rates of death?

Weight cutting deprives the brain of much needed fluids. It's never a good thing for the brain to sustain damage, but I'd think that sustaining damage when your brain is dehydrated makes the damage that much worse.

I gotta say, I don't really recommend watching that video in the OP .

Agreed. I got outta there when he went down in the corner. Sad.

That video was rough to watch. Sucks to see guys going out like that. The corner should lose their licenses. If your man is barely standing you don't hold him up waiting on decision to be read.

Tragic. 2 deaths from boxing this week. Makes you really think if these sports are worth the consequences. So many people benefit from combat sports but a few suffer massively. Just a sad situation

Damn! Two boxing deaths in a week! Is boxing that much more dangerous than MMA?

Tragic, happening too often these days. Should cut it down to 6 rounds or something, it'd be more actionpacked and safer

All for it tbh. Also get rid of extreme weight cutting

Having said this, i know that many boxers go through horrible sparring sessions almkst on the daily, and that this is where they get most brain trauma

RIP. The Father must feel terrible, don’t know anything about him.

RIP. The Father must feel terrible, don’t know anything about him.

HIs father is a huge reason this took place. Apparently, German commission suspended this kid from fighting after his last fight due to the beating he took. But his dad, who knew this, still let his son fight before the suspension was up. So instead of returning to training after the suspension his dad let him take an actual fight. Sad.

HIs father is a huge reason this took place. Apparently, German commission suspended this kid from fighting after his last fight due to the beating he took. But his dad, who knew this, still let his son fight before the suspension was up. So instead of returning to training after the suspension his dad let him take an actual fight. Sad.

Damn that’s bad.

‘Stage parents’ should have no place in a sport like boxing but it’s hard to control.

On Saturday night Argentina's boxer Hugo Santillan was rushed to the hospital. He fade away waiting for the judges decision.

Video here

Another loss for the community. Rest in peace, Hugo. :(
At the 3:00 minute mark you can hear some dude in the crowd insulting Abreu calling him a murderer or something like that.

The dude will have to live with this on the back on his mind for the rest of his boxing career and maybe his life and this idiot insults him as if it was his fault ffs. Sigh... My fucking country

I watched that awful video ... 7 minutes pass between starting to collapse during the ceremony and leaving the arena on a stretcher, which I read in an article was then wheeled backstage and subsequently, some minutes later, to an ambulance.

Sadly I don't think that time would have made a difference to his chances of survival, but nonetheless it's absolutely appalling that a clearly very unwell person, in a dangerous context and in a place where there should be all emergency services immediately available, needs some ten minutes to be simply laid out and put in an ambulance.

If rather than a brain bleed and then organ failure (that's what I read) the issue was heart related, ten minutes would have absolutely made the difference between life and death or permanent disability.

Safety protocols MUST be improved in boxing, as well as an absolute reduction in rounds IMO. Too much accumulated damage leads to these deaths ... they rarely happen in the early rounds or from one ko punch; usually they come at the end of 10-12 rounds of gruelling fighting.

Last but not least, I read that Santillan had a quick turnaround from a hard decision win in Germany, after which the German commission had issued a no contact ruling until the 30th of July, but his team not only allowed him to return to sparring but booked him in the fatal professional bout elsewhere on the 20th July ... if that's true that is criminal, at least in the moral sense.

Back