Argentina's boxer Hugo Santillan dies from damage suffered in his fight last weekend

Drugstore Cowboy

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
On Saturday night Argentina's boxer Hugo Santillan was rushed to the hospital. He fade away waiting for the judges decision.

Video here

Twitter translate: "Very sad to start today. This morning, after fighting five days, Hugo Santillán has died. I don't have much more to add, it's worth it. Only my condolences to his relatives and close friends and the wish of a good trip for you, champion. RIP."

Another loss for the community. Rest in peace, Hugo. :(

I gotta say, I don't really recommend watching that video in the OP .

I gotta say, I don't really recommend watching that video in the OP .

Ty sir

Im guessing its a video of him being removed from the ring or something like that, I’ll pass.

Dude was slumping over while waiting for the decision.

Vid isnt for the weak.

Santillán, just 23 years old, died this morning after clinging on for five days.

Fighting a ten-round split decision against Eduardo Abreu, Santillán passed out when awaiting the verdict.

Not that it holds any significance now, but the fight ended in a draw.

Doctors were called to the aid of Santillán and it was clear he was in real trouble. It seemed to take an age to administer oxygen to the stricken super-lightweight.

‘Dinamita’ was rushed to hospital and underwent surgery for a brain clot. Two cardiac arrests followed before the tragic news nobody wanted to hear broke on Thursday.

Father Hugo, also a boxer, guided his son to 19 wins as a professional until his life was cut short in the most devastating way.

The death of Santillán comes just days after Maxim Dadashev, 28, was lost in a similar way following his ESPN fight on Friday night.

There have now been at least two boxing tragedies per year since 2017. Before that, there had been six deaths in the previous seven years.

https://www.worldboxingnews.net/2019/07/25/hugo-santillan-dead-23-years/

Wow, what a fucking weekend

RIP young champ!

That’s just awful.

RIP.

Fucking brutal.

At 23 I didn't even know who I really was yet. I love boxing. I mean, I absolutely LOVE the sport, but sometimes the price these fighters pay just doesn't come close to being worth the risk.

Anybody see the fight? Was it particularly brutal, or was it like the Dadashev situation where you are left wondering how the fuck things concluded as they did.

Rest in Peace, and condolences to his family. July has been a horrible month in the sport.

Tragic, happening too often these days. Should cut it down to 6 rounds or something, it'd be more actionpacked and safer

I’ve read some stories that there was significant delay in providing medical care and Saw a video showing he was slumping and appeared unconscious but his corner was holding him up waiting for the cards to be read.

I’m not a doctor and can’t say whether either Increased his distress or lowered his chances, but they don’t look good.

Tragic, happening too often these days. Should cut it down to 6 rounds or something, it'd be more actionpacked and safer

That video is brutal. His corner and the ref should be banned.

Is it me or are there more serious injuries and deaths in boxing now than in decades ago?

He was fine at the end until he wasn't wtf happened. RIP.

Is it me or are there more serious injuries and deaths in boxing now than in decades ago?
I dont think so, social media and 24/7 news are making them more relevant which is good, it will make more organizers aware and better prepared.

An average of 11 boxing deaths occur every year, some would say it isnt an all that high number.

One of Usyk and Loma's teammates died too from injuries sustained in a fight last weekend. 2 in a single week Jesus.

Back